Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Jumping ship from BA - better to use VS flying club or DL Skymiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum

I'm planning on switching (or at least spreading) my allegiance a bit when travelling for work. I'm a BA gold at the moment, doing 100k+ miles a year, mostly in Y with some W and a little J thrown in, mostly transatlantics and I'm trying to figure out if it is best to sign up to flying club or DL skymiles.

The advantage of the latter is that I can get a status match to platinum of course but equally I would be interested to know if there are any thoughts on the relative merits of either program. I guess I'm likely to fly virgin a little more than delta, at least for the TATL legs. Any pro's/con's of one vs the other?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: VS Gold
This is a very broad question, so you may have to do some research of your own of each programmes benefits:

http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/flying-club.html
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles.html
http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/...rtnership.html
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ntic-faqs.html

These are some links to get you started. Without summing up the entire thing, here are some points that come to mind:

If you get a status match to DL PM you could immediately start using the VS Clubhouses even when in Economy/PE, and get a few reciprocal benefits on VS metal, i.e. free extra legroom/exit row seats in Economy.
Needless to say the Clubhouses will knock the pants off of any BA lounges you will have been to :P

I hear Skymiles are not too valuable and Delta don't publish reward charts. Besides that I don't know a lot about it.

VS are not in an alliance and so have limited earning/spending partners. Delta are of course in Skyteam and so there would be benefits there as well.

You'll find that VS PE is much nicer than BA PE.
Delta do not offer a Premium Economy on Transatlantic routes currently.

If you fly flexible tickets you'll rack up a considerable number of VS miles easily and grab Gold in no time.

I'm sure others will have thoughts to add! It might be worth asking the same question on the Delta forum as well

Last edited by SlimpyJones; Jun 5, 2017 at 6:25 am
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
This is a very broad question, so you may have to do some research of your own of each programmes benefits:

http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/flying-club.html
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles.html
http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/...rtnership.html
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ntic-faqs.html

These are some links to get you started. Without summing up the entire thing, here are some points that come to mind:

If you get a status match to DL PM you could immediately start using the VS Clubhouses even when in Economy/PE, and get a few reciprocal benefits on VS metal, i.e. free extra legroom/exit row seats in Economy.
Needless to say the Clubhouses will knock the pants off of any BA lounges you will have been to :P

The only downside is that I have Skymiles are not too valuable and Delta don't publish reward charts. Besides that I don't know a lot about it.

VS are not in an alliance and so have limited earning/spending partners. Delta are of course in Skyteam and so there would be benefits there as well.

You'll find that VS PE is much nicer than BA PE.
Delta do not offer a Premium Economy on Transatlantic routes currently.

If you fly flexible tickets you'll rack up a considerable number of VS miles easily and grab Gold in no time.

I'm sure others will have thoughts to add! It might be worth asking the same question on the Delta forum as well
Thanks, yeah I will stick this on the DL forum as well and see what they think. I'm leaning towards skymiles at the moment but it kinda depends on the reciprocal benefits, specifically economy comfort and how likely you are to get it as a flying club member. I understand that it is done by some kind of priority now and I wonder where VS members sit in the pecking order. It also looks like VS gold might be easier to get/maintain than DL platinum.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: VS Gold
VS Gold sits fairly low in the pecking order, but both times I've booked Delta Main Cabin I've been given upgrades to Comfort+... so I'm currently at a 100% success rate which may not be accurate!!
I've had maybe 20% success rate in going from Comfort+ to First.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Joely
Thanks, yeah I will stick this on the DL forum as well and see what they think. I'm leaning towards skymiles at the moment but it kinda depends on the reciprocal benefits, specifically economy comfort and how likely you are to get it as a flying club member. I understand that it is done by some kind of priority now and I wonder where VS members sit in the pecking order. It also looks like VS gold might be easier to get/maintain than DL platinum.
Don't repost (against FT rules) ask a mod to move this thread to the DL forum.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you even remotely value redeemable miles for reward flights, don't choose Skymiles. On the other hand, Flying Club isn't much better after the big devaluation of Business Class rewards.

On the status side, if you can get a match, great, but you're probably still better off earning VS miles from flights (building up to Gold) whilst showing a DL card to get into the Clubhouse.

I know BA is disappointing, but at least you can spend Avios outside of the BA network (IB, Oneworld, etc.). I'm happy to have BA Gold as my main FF status, with most of my flights on AA, IB, CX, etc.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I know BA is disappointing, but at least you can spend Avios outside of the BA network (IB, Oneworld, etc.). I'm happy to have BA Gold as my main FF status, with most of my flights on AA, IB, CX, etc.
There is that but equally with all the "enhancement" going on at BA I'm not sure it is worth my while constraining my travel to just them. Silver is probably the sweet spot in terms of status and I can get that easily with a couple of TATLs and flights in Europe.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
A minor data point if you're going to do any flying in VS PE: Skymiles will give you an extra 25% bonus in the lowest fare classes (K, H) in PE, over Flying Club.

Last edited by knit-in; Jun 6, 2017 at 4:36 pm
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by knit-in
A minor data point if you're going to do any flying in VS PE: Skymiles will give you an extra 25% bonus in the lowest fare classes (K, H) in PE, over Flying Club.

To maximize your Delta points flying VS, you need to book Delta codeshare on 006 ticket stock.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unless you have a special deal as part of a corporate contract, don't expect a status match from DL. DL has been granting status challenges. I'm not sure whether BA Gold would get a GM or PM challenge.

With a UK address, you're exempt from MQD requirements for status, but you'll also find it harder to get DL affiliated AmEx credit cards to earn MQMs and RDMs.

I'd compare the list of DL and VS partners carefully, although if you need USA domestic connections beyond where the DL/VS TATL flights land, it's probably better to have status on the airline you actually fly, which would be DL. However, don't expect lots of free elite upgrades as a PM.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Bicostal

To maximize your Delta points flying VS, you need to book Delta codeshare on 006 ticket stock.
For someone living outside of the US, does 006 ticket stock earn Skymiles based on distance or spend?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
What is worth quantifying is the alliance versus single airline benefits. You can also see the likes of this with BA/Oneworld vs the likes of Emirates.

For BA, you seem to be quite unlikely to get an upgrade because of your status. Never seen it myself in a few years of Gold and Silver, and GGL's have spoke of it rarely. They've often seen non status friends upgraded in overbooked, just to give them a taste of the product, rather than Gold.

Whereas a standalone airline such as VS or Emirates, they seem to be more keen on upgrading their status passengers in hierarchy of status. I know someone on Emirates who regularly gets upgrades.

Then again, flying domestically in the US, you might be on the front of the Y upgrade list with Delta status. I believe VS status does offer a chance, but not a priority. Not flown domestic F, but might make a big difference to you...
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joely
I'm planning on switching (or at least spreading) my allegiance a bit when travelling for work. I'm a BA gold at the moment, doing 100k+ miles a year, mostly in Y with some W and a little J thrown in, mostly transatlantics and I'm trying to figure out if it is best to sign up to flying club or DL skymiles.

The advantage of the latter is that I can get a status match to platinum of course but equally I would be interested to know if there are any thoughts on the relative merits of either program. I guess I'm likely to fly virgin a little more than delta, at least for the TATL legs. Any pro's/con's of one vs the other?
The grass in not always greener on the other side

What are your objectives from a ffp?
Generally you are better with the ffp of the airline you fly most. But that is not set in stone

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

The DL forum thread on this topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...a-refugee.html
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by knit-in
For someone living outside of the US, does 006 ticket stock earn Skymiles based on distance or spend?
My understanding is that home country impacts only on the MQD requirement for status. US residents need to meet the req. ex-US don't.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bicostal
My understanding is that home country impacts only on the MQD requirement for status. US residents need to meet the req. ex-US don't.
Right, but flying DL metal (or partner) on DL stock earns base miles which are an x times of dollars spent (eg. 5 x of $$$ spent if you're general member, 7x if you're a Silver etc.)

I am wondering if the redeemable miles earned on DL ticket stock, whether on DL metal or partner metal, are based on distance flown or price of the ticket, for Skymiles members residing outside of the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.