Wiki Posts
Search

Australia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA & Flying Club
Australia

We're planning on going to Australia next year. We will have around 200,000 airmiles. I thought Virgin flew there but seem to get a blank when I try and do a dummy booking on their site, even though it comes up. Do they still fly there?

Any tips for trying to book the best way. Can book Upper to Hk it seems so didn't know if that was a good idea and then book flights from there. Or are there any partner airlines that will take the miles? Sorry to sound very vague but I'm a bit stuck. Many thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
VS haven't flown to SYD for a couple of years.

You wll have to do the HKG-SYD leg using partners. See the 'partner airlines' thread for more details re options and how difficult it can be.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately you're almost definitely NOT going to get to Oz using only Virgin Atlantic miles.

I would suggest that you book a VS flight to Hong Kong using your miles. Book them as one-ways since all rewards leaving HKG have no surcharges added.

Then separately, using Avios or cash, you book another ticket from Hong Kong to Australia - between Cathay Pacific and Qantas you should have some decent options with Avios.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:27 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
For our last three visits to Oz / NZ we have used J's on VS as far as Hong Kong and then a combination of LCC's to get down under. This suits us, as we like to visit different Asian cities on the way down. As Craig says these are always booked as two one way redemptions, as the charges HKG-LHR are about a tenth of the charges on the outbound.

Our favourite LCC is Air Asia as they do a flight from KUL to Auckland via Gold Coast which has 'business class' seats. Okay, it isn't proper business class; but it is a cheap way to do a long haul flight in comfort. They aren't flat beds, but are very similar to the old J2000 seats that VS used to have many moons ago, and I have no difficulty sleeping on them. My main consideration is the fact that the price isn't a proper business class price either - especially during their fairly frequent sales.

Nick
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Check out Scoot airways as well. Was looking at flights from Singapore to Sydney and their premium economy was only $350 (USD). Granted you will prob get to Hong Kong but might want to check if they go from there.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies/suggestions, we'll look at other options.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Malindo Air also is running Business Class (seats only) to Perth and Brisbane from KUL and DPS for a reasonable price.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
As of July 5th VA will be running at HKG-MEL direct flight too. And vice versa.

I'm VA so don't know the VX side of it but from what I can see you should be able to book these.

VA are using their new "The Business" 1-2-1 lie flats on this route. 7.50pm depart of from HKG 5 times a week.

Cheers
FF
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
As of July 5th VA will be running at HKG-MEL direct flight too. And vice versa.

I'm VA so don't know the VX side of it but from what I can see you should be able to book these.
For the avoidance of doubt, I believe that you are referring to Virgin Australia (VA) which is correct but are incorrectly referring to Virgin America (VX) instead of VS (Virgin Atlantic)

Unfortunately, using VS miles on VA long-haul flights is quite expensive.

http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/...australia.html
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:22 am

I am more a BA flyer,so forgive my ignorance.

Is there an option to fly LHR-LAX on VA then LAX-SYD on DL?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
I am more a BA flyer,so forgive my ignorance.

Is there an option to fly LHR-LAX on VA then LAX-SYD on DL?
You mean VS on the LHR-LAX sector but yes there is a VS LHR-LAX service which DL code share..

VA is Virgin Australia.

But yes there is a DL LAX-SYD service. DL also have a code share on some VA services to SYD.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Just reviving this thread from last year. We’ve booked a cruise out of Sydney next November so will be looking to book flights in January when they are available. We’ll probably try and do Virgin to HK and the return, then book separate flights to Australia and back to HK.

A couple of you mentioned booking the flights as singles as it’s cheaper, can you elaborate on that? We’re hoping to do 1 upper class and 2 premium economy using air miles if possible.

Also with HK is there generally much availability using air miles in those cabins? We thought we’d book whatever we could when the flights are available and then watch and wait and hope more become available throughout the months.

thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Previously it was cheaper booking them as two separate tickets so (i) LHR-HKG and (ii) HKG-LHR because it used to be the case that airlines wern't allowed to charge carrier surcharges on ex-HKG flights. However that has now changed so it's not as cheap as it used to be.

I'd do some dummy bookings for booking them as separate trips and as a return trip to get the most accurate costs.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Previously it was cheaper booking them as two separate tickets so (i) LHR-HKG and (ii) HKG-LHR because it used to be the case that airlines wern't allowed to charge carrier surcharges on ex-HKG flights. However that has now changed so it's not as cheap as it used to be.

I'd do some dummy bookings for booking them as separate trips and as a return trip to get the most accurate costs.
Many thanks; I did what you said and it works out slightly cheaper I think but not much. Still we can book our outbound flights now I’ve seen (end of October) so I might do them as there’s a availability in premium and upper with miles and worry about the return journey in January - and just hope there’s air miles flights then.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I’ve managed to book 3 premium and 1 upper to HK using air miles on 1st November which were really happy about. Is it 330 days exactly before we can book the returns does anyone know?

we now need to book flights to Australia and some internal flights. Can we use Virgin Australia with our airmiles? Do Virgin have any partners in Asia that we can use our miles on?

many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.