Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to LHR Upper Class with points Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

LAX to LHR Upper Class with points Sep 2017

I have researched this question a fair amount on google and travel sites like this one and I wanted to see if anyone had more advice to offer...

I am trying to book two roundtrip upper class flights with Points from LAX to LHR for about a 10 night trip at the end of September of 2017. It looks like VA is now opening their calendar at 334 days. However, it of course does not look like they fully open their award seating? Or are they really selling out this fast on reward seats? I have not been able to find much more than speculation on other sites.

At this point I feel like I just need to look at the site several times a day in the hope something will open up for me.

Anyone have advice/Hope finding certainty of being able to do this?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Wyleeguy79
I have researched this question a fair amount on google and travel sites like this one and I wanted to see if anyone had more advice to offer...

I am trying to book two roundtrip upper class flights with Points from LAX to LHR for about a 10 night trip at the end of September of 2017. It looks like VA is now opening their calendar at 334 days. However, it of course does not look like they fully open their award seating? Or are they really selling out this fast on reward seats? I have not been able to find much more than speculation on other sites.

At this point I feel like I just need to look at the site several times a day in the hope something will open up for me.

This. They can open up anytime and there is no pattern to it.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
There is no real pattern. VS does not promise to open a certain number of award spaces on every single flight/cabin.

Moreover, you should book as one-ways whenever you see award space. If you wait for the return to open up, someone else might grab the outbound flight.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
LAX is a popular route, so don't be surprised that award seats go like hot cakes on that route.

Alternatives to try -

LHR > SFO (then a Delta connection, usually cheap)
MAN > SFO
LGW > LAS
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by Wyleeguy79

I am trying to book two roundtrip upper class flights with Points from LAX to LHR for about a 10 night trip at the end of September of 2017. It looks like VA is now opening their calendar at 334 days. However, it of course does not look like they fully open their award seating?

Originally Posted by craigthemif
There is no real pattern. VS does not promise to open a certain number of award spaces on every single flight/cabin.

Moreover, you should book as one-ways whenever you see award space. If you wait for the return to open up, someone else might grab the outbound flight.
I was researching this route (albeit LHR-LAX) for August\September and I found the following.

Mid week:- (M-Thurs)
There seemed to be ONE UC and one Y seat released about 14:00 ish UK time ( so about now at the 344 days out point

Then the day after there were more Y seats (by which time the UC seat had gone.

Weekend did not see any UC.

At this time -Tuesday 11th at 14:00 UK time I see 2 PE seats outbound (LAX-LHR) and only Y seats inbound.

May be a stretch but would SEA-LHR suit?

Loads of UC availability M-Th with usually 2 UC on Sat and Sunday.

So as others have said.

Check daily, look for one way if the return is not out yet and if you see one grab it

Last edited by blindman; Oct 11, 2016 at 7:12 am
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:57 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Just to add to what others have said- if one seat does appear and you decide to grab it. In my experience it is sometimes replaced immediately by another one, so if you want two - make sure you re-check immediately after booking.

Nick
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA, DC, IC
The only issue I've found with booking two separate reward seat flights are the cost of the taxes, has anyone ever had Virgin combine a return leg booked later onto an outbound leg therefore saving the taxes? I've tried it but the agents say it's not allowed.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by mycity68
The only issue I've found with booking two separate reward seat flights are the cost of the taxes, has anyone ever had Virgin combine a return leg booked later onto an outbound leg therefore saving the taxes? I've tried it but the agents say it's not allowed.
No. And they are right.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's not taxes, it's surcharges.

ex-US has a higher surcharge than ex-UK, therefore for a UK-based member booking 2 1-ways comes out a bit more expensive. If it was the other way around, I'm sure you'd see regular articles in the Daily Mail complaining about rip-off Britain!

Personally, I would just chalk it up to the cost of nabbing Upper Class award seats, but I understand people trying to figure out ways around it.

You could always risk booking a return for the same or next day as your outbound leg, and then changing the date of the return once availability opens up for the date you really want. Problem is that might never happen...
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Member

Yep, I hit this as well recently. I did both bookings online (out and return) as they were released. Over the next few weeks I had a nagging feeling that I had overpaid. I checked with a dummy booking and then noticed that I had paid about £500 more for the three pairs of single tickets rather than three return. I phoned and was told it was not possible to combine. I ended up cancelling my single return leg and booking it again but adding it onto my outbound for a different date, having checked that the other date was available first. Even with the £50 per ticket cancellation fee, I got back £390. I wont make that mistake again.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thx for the tips. I was able to book my return UC to SFO.

Now to book the Departure UC before the price goes up in January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.