Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Virgin Atlantic upgrade

Hi all

Im just wondering if anyone else has been able to upgrade a ticket in the wrong booking class either at the airport or within 24 hours of flying? The reason I ask is because I recently took a flight from Chicago to LHR and was able to upgrade to PE even though I didnt have the correct fare class ticket. I did this at the airport although I had to also ring the Flying Club for assistance (it wasnt an easy process to say the least).

I dont know what the rules are on this. I called the flying club today and they said it wasnt possible even though I did it.

So can it be done at the airline check in desks or did I just get lucky?

Im looking to travel to NY in January and the cost of a ticket in X class is c700 return compared to 380 in O class, so double. Im happy to take a chance on availability but its just confusing - either it can be done and Virgin dont want to advertise it or I did just get lucky!

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I assume you are talking about upgrading with Flying Club points, and not cash?

The rules for eligible classes are explained here - http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...d-flights.html

Having said that, the general consensus on chat boards has always been that when you get to the airport, the rules are often waived - either for operational necessity, or because the agents at the airport have the power.

Your airport experience is be no means unique, but there is no guarantee that it will happen again in the future.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.