Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfers from hotel programs - how long?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb

I'm a little short on miles for a redemption on VS. I can transfer some points from hotels programs (IHG, SPG or HHonors). The problem is that availability is quite poor and there is a single date available for weeks. How long does it take to get points transferred to VS miles? Can you share your own experience please?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by urww
I'm a little short on miles for a redemption on VS. I can transfer some points from hotels programs (IHG, SPG or HHonors). The problem is that availability is quite poor and there is a single date available for weeks. How long does it take to get points transferred to VS miles? Can you share your own experience please?
Only the other way round. Virgin to HiltonH is quoted at taking upto 30 days and in my 2 experiences it was 9 days, both times.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think SPG is the fastest, but it might take a few days. AFAIK the other two work more on a batch system and if you time it wrong you might end up with a 2-3 week wait.

There is the current 30% bonus promo for buying miles. Since the value proposition for all hotel point conversions (except SPG) is so poor, you might want to consider the security of just buying the miles outright and getting them much quicker.

Tesco and Amex are fast, but it doesn't appear that you are located in the UK.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
craigthemif, thanks, though I gave up with the idea of transfer it's good to know for the future.

For the moment seats are gone, so It was right thing not to send any points for a conversion into miles a couples of days ago.

There is the current 30% bonus promo for buying miles. Since the value proposition
I was thinking about that option. Initially I was going to ticket us in J all the way home from West Coast for 62500 DL miles + $20-30 in taxes. When VS appeared with it's offer of 24500 miles + $235 it looked fair. It's not J, but still a decent product, $450 more in cash, but would've saved me 125K DL miles. Fair enough. However factoring 75GBP extra per ticket for miles purchase + costs of tickets from LHR to ARN (SAS for about $100 each) I decided it didn't work quite well.

Amex are fast, but it doesn't appear that you are located in the UK.
Yep, Amex MR doesn't offer transfer to VS in my region.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:27 am
Original Member

IHG to virgin took a week for me a few days ago
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by urww
[

I was thinking about that option. Initially I was going to ticket us in J all the way home from West Coast for 62500 DL miles + $20-30 in taxes. When VS appeared with it's offer of 24500 miles + $235 it looked fair. It's not J, but still a decent product, $450 more in cash, but would've saved me 125K DL miles. Fair enough. However factoring 75GBP extra per ticket for miles purchase + costs of tickets from LHR to ARN (SAS for about $100 each) I decided it didn't work quite well.
VS Flying Club is always going to be a bit nasty for continental Europeans. Not only do we have to pay to get to London, but we have to pay UK departure taxes on the award ticket.

Other airline programmes either include the connecting flight for free, which avoids UK tax, or fly direct...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.