Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Upper Class seat for 1 person on 747-400

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys, going on my first Upper Class VS flight next month from SFO-LHR-SFO.

Looks like its a 747-400 in Version 4 config

I dont really trust seatguru and I found a few threads in this forum on good Upper Class seats, but I wanted to ask once more before I fly what you guys think is still the best seat for a single flyer on these flights

VS 19 and VS 20

Right now I have 12K (kinda worried about the rando stranger in 12A, though I think I'll like the view

and 16A

What do you guys think, seats good enough or is there something better?

Do the K side seats have more privacy?

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by newfflyer
Hey guys, going on my first Upper Class VS flight next month from SFO-LHR-SFO.

Looks like its a 747-400 in Version 4 config

I dont really trust seatguru and I found a few threads in this forum on good Upper Class seats, but I wanted to ask once more before I fly what you guys think is still the best seat for a single flyer on these flights

VS 19 and VS 20

Right now I have 12K (kinda worried about the rando stranger in 12A, though I think I'll like the view

and 16A

What do you guys think, seats good enough or is there something better?

Do the K side seats have more privacy?

Thanks!
Anything in the pointy end is good. I book 10K every trip. No complaints. BTW seat guru talks about the massage area. That is long gone...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
You'll probably get a much better response if you post this query on V-Flyer or go directly to the V-Flyer seat maps and recommendations.

Personally, I'd choose Rows 2-4 on the Upper Deck for the overnight eastbound. Westbound, I like Row 12 but I always travel with Mrs tooblue; so am happy with my row companion. Rows 14 & 15 would be my suggestion for the westbound if you are concerned about the proximity of a stranger but hope to have some kind of view: bearing in mind that the windows are over your shoulder. If you have any movement restriction; choose between A & K to accommodate it. Otherwise, I'd plan to travel on the north side of the plane; so that I could enjoy the view without alienating the many light-sensitive passengers who take offence if a blind is open.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations! I got 2K on the eastbound flight to LHR. Excited about going in the upper deck, though it seems like not everyone enjoys it on VS.

and on the return to SFO I got 16K (though 12K and 15K are available). I believe K is on the north side of the plane.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by tooblue
You'll probably get a much better response if you post this query on V-Flyer or go directly to the V-Flyer seat maps and recommendations.

Personally, I'd choose Rows 2-4 on the Upper Deck for the overnight eastbound. Westbound, I like Row 12 but I always travel with Mrs tooblue; so am happy with my row companion. Rows 14 & 15 would be my suggestion for the westbound if you are concerned about the proximity of a stranger but hope to have some kind of view: bearing in mind that the windows are over your shoulder. If you have any movement restriction; choose between A & K to accommodate it. Otherwise, I'd plan to travel on the north side of the plane; so that I could enjoy the view without alienating the many light-sensitive passengers who take offence if a blind is open.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:42 pm

16K is a great seat and in my view better than 12K if you are solo. Have a good flight!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; VS Gold; SK Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum

What is the general thought and also experience on sitting on the upper deck in the config 4, with shared classes?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by jensenma74
What is the general thought and also experience on sitting on the upper deck in the config 4, with shared classes?
I think it's a bit weird. If you want to stretch your legs occasionally and/or go to the galley or the bar; you have to walk through the UD Economy section. It feels like you have 33 pairs of eyes watching you as you pass. I wouldn't choose it for a day flight but the UD is great for overnight.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:44 am

Travelling solo in my first Upper next week; 4 config 747.

Currently booked in 12k, although 18k is also available in the nose section. I gather 12k will give me a great view, although perhaps the proximity to 12A would make me more comfortable in 18k (the last remaining nose section seat available for selection)? Any recommendations would be great^
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Nose is fantastic, love it. Sooo much better than the A340/330s where you don't feel anywhere near as special as in the nose; it really feels like a hark back to the good old days of flying.

I always go for the seats towards the back of the section (17-19) as the others are a bit too close (especially front row) if you're travelling alone.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
I would avoid the upper deck. You will be stuck behind the economy passengers when it comes to disembarkation, which may add to your delays in getting off.

I would go with a seat in Zone A, but not the very front row.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: not a lot
The A seat at the back of the nose section of the plane for me every time. So much space and privacy and usually first off as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.