Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How strict is Virgin with carry-on limits?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How strict is Virgin with carry-on limits?

It looks like I'll be flying Virgin to JNB. I have a 2-hour connection there to an airline they don't interline with. Accordingly, to avoid a baggage claim delay, I'd like to just bring my luggage with me in the cabin, "USA style." I'll have a standard rollerboard (less than 22" inches), which seems to be allowed. But I might also want to bring a small backpack my a computer. The rules seems to indicate that's not allowed: 1 bag only (who do they think they are, Easyjet?). In reality, will anyone care? I'm starting the trip in the USA, connecting at LHR.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:34 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
This does seem a change of policy from VS, I remember it was one bag plus a laptop bag.

Assuming you are in Economy or PE (otherwise you won't ask this question), try a small laptop bag, they've never asked me in LHR.

Although if you depart from other airports, it could be a different story. So considering your return from JNB.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
My girlfriend recently flew VS at the back of the bus and was forced to check in her roller bag - standard size and accepted by Easyjet as carry on...

However I suspect if you mention they short connection they might have more sympathy.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points)
This does seem a change of policy from VS, I remember it was one bag plus a laptop bag.

Assuming you are in Economy or PE (otherwise you won't ask this question), try a small laptop bag, they've never asked me in LHR.

Although if you depart from other airports, it could be a different story. So considering your return from JNB.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
My girlfriend recently flew VS at the back of the bus and was forced to check in her roller bag - standard size and accepted by Easyjet as carry on...

However I suspect if you mention they short connection they might have more sympathy.
Thanks. While I generally much prefer flying "foreign" carriers overseas (indeed, I started a popular thread about this in the travelbuzz forum), it can be frustrating trying to figure out the carry-on rules of the various carriers. To an American, they just seem pointless, but maybe it's just because we're used to the "American system" of 1 rollerboard and a "personal item."

I don't have to worry about the rules on my return, because I don't have a connection issue (indeed, I'll probably WANT to check my luggage, to bring back some South African wine!). My problem is that if I don't take the 2-hour connection at JNB on the outbound, I have to wait 6 hours. You can see my desire for carry-on.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by iahphx
It looks like I'll be flying Virgin to JNB. I have a 2-hour connection there to an airline they don't interline with. Accordingly, to avoid a baggage claim delay, I'd like to just bring my luggage with me in the cabin, "USA style." I'll have a standard rollerboard (less than 22" inches), which seems to be allowed. But I might also want to bring a small backpack my a computer. The rules seems to indicate that's not allowed: 1 bag only (who do they think they are, Easyjet?). In reality, will anyone care? I'm starting the trip in the USA, connecting at LHR.

Thanks for the advice.
Don't forget that VS have both size AND weight restrictions.

Yes it might fit in the size criteria but the carry on weight allowance is 6kg and VS can be very hot on that.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Don't forget that VS have both size AND weight restrictions.

Yes it might fit in the size criteria but the carry on weight allowance is 6kg and VS can be very hot on that.
Is that a domestic flight limit? I didn't see weight restrictions on their website, but perhaps I missed it.

I really don't understand why airlines seem to get great joy in hassling folks about "normal" carry-ons (at least "normal" to Americans).
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I really don't understand why airlines seem to get great joy in hassling folks about "normal" carry-ons (at least "normal" to Americans).
Maybe they're not "normal" to everyone else?

It's patently obvious that the size of carry-on that many Americans drag aboard a plane could not be accommodated if every passenger chose to bring one - so isn't it sensible that a smaller carry-on size is mandated and enforced?

Let's not forget that what Americans do is rarely a yardstick against which the rest of humanity would wish to measure itself against.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
VS carry-on policy is a joke. 6kg is worse than Ryanair. And is sometimes enforced, and is sometimes not enfoced. It seems to be pot luck.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by User Name
Let's not forget that what Americans do is rarely a yardstick against which the rest of humanity would wish to measure itself against.
Um, when it comes to aviation, everything America does IS the yardstick. That's the reality of the industry.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
VS carry-on policy is a joke. 6kg is worse than Ryanair. And is sometimes enforced, and is sometimes not enfoced. It seems to be pot luck.
Ah, the typical foreign airline carry-on situation. Airline imposes strange, unique, and illogical carry-on restriction. Airline doesn't bother to rigidly enforce their obscure rule. Traveller has no clue what will actually happen if he brings "normal" carry-on luggage with him.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Um, when it comes to aviation, everything America does IS the yardstick. That's the reality of the industry.
Yes, when it comes to bussing people about it is indeed, when it comes to cancelling flights at the drop of a hat, world leader. But seriously, flying in J or F and US airlines set the benchmark, tell me another .

Ah, the typical foreign airline carry-on situation. Airline imposes strange, unique, and illogical carry-on restriction. Airline doesn't bother to rigidly enforce their obscure rule. Traveller has no clue what will actually happen if he brings "normal" carry-on luggage with him.
Define 'normal'?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Oh dear. iahphx - perhaps it's best if I pointed out that you are in a board where the membership is predominantly British. While, in your view, aviation standards are set by American airlines because you live in N. America, you will probably find on this side of the pond, we don't agree with that perspective as from our perspective, it isn't correct (differing baggage limits being a perfect example). To the majority of us US airlines = foreign airlines and it's them that have the odd rules (really, I've to pay for booze in Y?! ).

I don't think it's terribly productive to rehash the US vs Europe thing (although sometimes it can be fun ), but better to accept that different markets mandate conditions and there is not a one size fits all to aviation.

One thing we can agree on - when our hackles are calmed down, as I hope they will be - is that 6 kg for carryon is ridiculously small. While I can accept one bag grudgingly, 6 kg is virtually nothing (particularly as a birdwatcher whose expensive optics (the kind I wouldnt' want to check) weigh about 5 kg

My advice would be to try to carry-on, as we've already highlighted the random nature of enforcement, but have an alternate plan in case computer says no....
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Is that a domestic flight limit? I didn't see weight restrictions on their website, but perhaps I missed it.
It is the limit on both the new VS UK domestic routes and VS international routes.

Whether you like it or not those are the rules VS have (and have had for some considerable time)

Perhaps you did miss it but it is easy to find on the VS Website under 'baggage' in the 'travel information' section.

Not sure how as the size/weights are on the same page as the one bag in Y and PE page which you do appear to have found.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:31 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
It will be interesting to see how a 6kg limit goes on the UK domestic routes, when both main domestic rivals to London (BA & EZY) will offer a much larger baggage allowance.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I had problems a few years back with vurgin on the LHR - JNB route. 1 kg over or so on my hand luggage, allowed me take my bag but said on boarding I'd have to carry my laptop on separately to reduce weight, was never checked on boarding. This was in PE
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
One thing we can agree on - when our hackles are calmed down, as I hope they will be - is that 6 kg for carryon is ridiculously small. While I can accept one bag grudgingly, 6 kg is virtually nothing (particularly as a birdwatcher whose expensive optics (the kind I wouldnt' want to check) weigh about 5 kg
Thanks. If you happened to have seen my thread in travelbuzz as to how in-flight international service on US airlines is generally quite poor compared to foreign carriers, you'd know I'm no apologist for them. That said, every USA (except tiny Spirit) tends to follow the same carry-on luggage rules, which are reasonable to the size of the overhead bins installed on modern aircraft (the bins, of course, are designed for the USA-bag allowances).

Given the carry-on uncertainty -- coupled with the general uncertainty of trying to make a relatively tight connection on a non-interlining airline -- I'm going to try to rearrange my travel plans to avoid the problem. I am going to try to bring my "normal" carry-on with me, though, which I suspect weighs more than 6 kg. fully loaded with a week's worth of clothes and such. We'll see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.