Wiki Posts
Search

Dress Code in UC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Dress Code in UC

Hi All,

My first UC flight from LHR to SFO in two weeks, I was thinking of wearing shoes, jeans with a polo t-shirt. Would this be 'frowned upon' or is this classed as acceptable on board?

Thanks for any advice
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Virgin seems to attract some of the worst dressed travellers I've seen outside of North America. I sat opposite one guy in UC who was in tight shorts, a vest (singlet in Australian) and was covered in tattoos. Remember, this is the fun airline where everyone has a great time partying. Apart from those wanting to sleep and relax who are disturbed by the hilarious party animals.

You'll probably be one of the smartest dressed people in the cabin so don't sweat it.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Polyester shell suit should make you fit right in.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I know this is the VS forum, but in the summer of 09, I flew CW on BA wearing shorts & a t-shirt, and no one said a thing about it.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
You're fine.

The minute I board I ask for a sleep-suit and change in the restroom. My ensemble is only for The Clubhouse.

Originally Posted by pappap647
Hi All,

My first UC flight from LHR to SFO in two weeks, I was thinking of wearing shoes, jeans with a polo t-shirt. Would this be 'frowned upon' or is this classed as acceptable on board?

Thanks for any advice
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:12 am
Ambassador

I've worn shorts before...

(apologies, Swanhunter)
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:24 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
There is no formally stated or implied dress code on any airline in any cabin IME. Within the bounds of public decency of course. Some of the worst dressed pax I have seen are in F/J cabins, even on BA (shock, horror).
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shorts - I've worn them on BA and CX F - are fine if they are worn well. The gentlemen in my early post could have chosen cleaner ones but it was really the vest that was offensive.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Virgin seems to attract some of the worst dressed travellers I've seen outside of North America. I sat opposite one guy in UC who was in tight shorts, a vest (singlet in Australian) and was covered in tattoos. Remember, this is the fun airline where everyone has a great time partying. Apart from those wanting to sleep and relax who are disturbed by the hilarious party animals.

You'll probably be one of the smartest dressed people in the cabin so don't sweat it.
Really, I'm guessing your sartorial style when looking in the mirror is somewhat lacking.

Most people I find on VS are dressed for travel, i.e. casual to well dressed.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, I feel a lot more comfortable wearing that now.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by pappap647
Thanks all, I feel a lot more comfortable wearing that now.
I've flown F on BA wearing a Hawaiian shirt and no one has batted an eyelid - Yet! Don't worry about it.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've flown F on BA wearing a Hawaiian shirt and no one has batted an eyelid - Yet! Don't worry about it.
There is no accounting for taste. Unless it was for a bet.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Wear what you like, and what you feel comfortable in. Irrespective of class.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Ignore what all these mischievous people are saying. In upper class it is de rigeur to have either white tie/tails, or morning dress and cravat. A monocle is highly recommended, especially if you are hoping to get an invite to the captain's cocktail party at the bar.

Nah, kidding (obviously). I'm in the JFK clubhouse right now in my rugby top and jeans, and believe me, I'm not underdressed. Have a good flight.

RC

Last edited by ratechaser; Oct 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
No matter which airline or cabin - my travel wardrobe is anything that's comfortable, clean and decent. Anyone who judges you for dressing like you intend clearly has bigger problems to deal with

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.