Wiki Posts
Search

VS vs. SA Business Class? JNB to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

Going to make a booking soon. Which one do you recommend? Looking most for comfort. I haven't flown on either carrier.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:17 am
Ambassador

I've not flown on SAA's new A330s that they're using between JNB and LHR but I still think VS would be better.

I see you're a DL frequent flyer in which case you may have used their herringbone seats in international J. VS UC suites are similar but seem better quality to me.

The advantages of VS are the dedicated UC check-in area with a private security channel, the LHR Clubhouse and, for me, the fact that the seat flips over to form a bed which means it is completely flat with no "bumps" that sometimes occur when a seat reclines to become a bed.

What time of year are you travelling? If it's the SA summer VS will be using a 747 so you can get a seat in the nose.

If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

NB: both airlines suffer from inconsistent crew
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Did you post the same question on the BA forum, do not be surprised by tribal voting .

But, that said, I would take VS over BA on this route. Don't forget that both legs are night flights, in which case the VS bed wins over BA's reclining flat seats. VS gives you sleep suits, BA doesn't, if you want a relaxing drink at the bar, only on VS.

To be fair, BA has some benefits too, people who like to recline and relax have more seat options. But by recent reputation there's little now that divides the food in UC or Club ...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by slinky09
Did you post the same question on the BA forum, do not be surprised by tribal voting .
SA . . . not BA.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
The SA flat beds are wider and more comfortable in general. Food wise I also prefer SA. In terms of crews, SA has some bad apples like all other airlines do, but SA crews in my experience have been far better than VS'.

The downsides of SA J are: no bar and no sleep suits.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: BA soon to be Silver

Sorry to drag this one back. If I fly LHR-JNB with SA, am I right that I cannot collect FC miles as this route is not code-shared? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.