Search

Flight 'Go around' at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flight 'Go around' at Heathrow

I saw this on Friday 3rd June at Heathrow
Anyone on board or know what was the reason was?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOpVQ2yvyRk
Old Jun 5, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
More than likely the usual problem of another aircraft not clearing the runway in time.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Thanks for the link ^.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by binni
I saw this on Friday 3rd June at Heathrow
Anyone on board or know what was the reason was?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOpVQ2yvyRk
The approach speed of this particular aircraft type is faster than other aircraft I understand, and this can cause ATC difficulties with separation. As a result if the aircraft in front is slow the clear the runway then the go around is carried out.
I have heard (but have no evidence to support this) that this particular aircrfat type has a higher number of such issues than 747 or 777. perhaps others could say if this is correct or not.
At LHR which operates at near capacity year round ATC face significant problems coping with A380 A340 747 and smaller aircraft including propeller powered. Must be one of the most difficult environments for ATC anywhere especially as they have other restrictions in place also.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Originally Posted by binman
The approach speed of this particular aircraft type is faster than other aircraft I understand, and this can cause ATC difficulties with separation.
Poppycock.

And coincidentally, having been on several hundred VS flight, the only go around I've been on was on a 747.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by slinky09
Poppycock.

And coincidentally, having been on several hundred VS flight, the only go around I've been on was on a 747.
Poppycock is a bit harsh.

The 340-600 does 160kts to 4 mile final like the bulk of the other traffic going down the LHR approach but, once inside 4 miles, it doesn't slow up much further.

So a 346 close behind something that slows up a lot more may well result in a late landing clearance or a missed approach. Because of this the 346 did appear disproportionally in the LHR missed approach stats and LHR ATC (of which, on the approach side, I am one) do bear this in mind when sequencing on to final.

On windy/gusty days there's also a windshear protection system on Airbus aircraft that can also cause issues to ATC when it comes to speed and spacing down the approach.

First post!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim

The 340-600 does 160kts to 4 mile final like the bulk of the other traffic going down the LHR approach but, once inside 4 miles, it doesn't slow up much further.

So a 346 close behind something that slows up a lot more may well result in a late landing clearance or a missed approach. Because of this the 346 did appear disproportionally in the LHR missed approach stats and LHR ATC (of which, on the approach side, I am one) do bear this in mind when sequencing on to final.

On windy/gusty days there's also a windshear protection system on Airbus aircraft that can also cause issues to ATC when it comes to speed and spacing down the approach.

First post!
Welcome to Flyertalk! you're a very well informed lurker or escapee from pprune?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim

First post!
Welcome to FT Scott Pilgrim
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Welcome to Flyertalk! you're a very well informed lurker or escapee from pprune?
I do inhabit PPRuNe, though with a different user name to this one!

Long time reader of FlyerTalk though only fairly recently registered. Thanks to yourself and Jenbel for the welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.