Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking honest opinions on J2000 seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Seeking honest opinions on J2000 seats

I'm trying to decide between Virgin UC and BA J for a couple of upcoming trips between LAX and LHR. I have only flown BA in Y and F, and I have never flown Virgin. The flat beds on BA look nice, although I have heard they are not very comfortable for someone over six feet tall (like myself).

With all of the info out there about the upcoming UC suites, I can't find anything on the J2000 seats; not even a picture!

I've read that they are flat, but not horizontal, but that's about it. Are there any better descriptions out there?
Old Sep 5, 2003, 10:00 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
The other point to mention re BA NCW seats is that they are very narrow. If you are broad/tall then J2000 will probably be more comfortable -- it certainly is for me and I've tried both.

Don't forget their are other benefits in VS J that BA NCW doesn't have (bar, Freedom menu, in-flight massage, limo on a J-class ticket, better lounge in LHR, etc).

BC
Old Sep 5, 2003, 10:32 am
Original Poster

In addition to being tall, I am also "broad" so maybe J2000 is the way to go.

The other amenities do sound more like F than J.

I'm also hoping that by the time we make our final flights in April they will have the suites on the LHR-LAX route. That would make it a no-brainer.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 1:39 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Given that LHR-LAX is one of Virgin's most profitable routes, I would certainly expect the UC suites by April.

BC
Old Sep 6, 2003, 4:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You may wish to read this article...

http://www.airlinequality.com/Produc...lat_review.htm

...which compares four airlines' flat seats for both sleeping and seated comfort. VS is ranked last in both modes. (Previously, if you clicked the VS thumbnail near the top of the article you could have read about the current seat and viewed a picture, but the link has been changed and now it takes you to a description of the forthcoming "suite".)

dennis
Old Sep 6, 2003, 4:35 pm

For me if sleep is the most important part of a trip, then BA NCW is better (especially upstairs in a 747). I sleep on my side, so a fully flat bed is better for me. However, I am 5'4" and a British size 10 (US size 4): I appreciate that taller, broader people are not as comfortable in NCW seats...

In the J2000 seats, I leave the seat slightly cradled - otherwise I slide down into the footwell whilst I sleep :-(. I didn't find the J2000 particularly any wider than BA NCW seats.

Virgin UC certainly has some advantages over BA NCW - some of which have already been stated. The new J2002 looks great - think that Virgin are making a wise move

Boo

Old Sep 6, 2003, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I also slide down the J2000 seat when cradled... I can't sleep well in the seats at all.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 12:45 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
VS give you a proper duvet and a nice linen pillow - BA don't it's the old headrest felt pillow and the usual inflight blanket.

You are likely to get better entertainment system on VS and the Limo checkin at LHR is fantastic.

The comment on not fully reclining the seat is correct, as even I (over 6ft and a fat b*****d really) managed to slide down a little.

I have done both VS and BA, and sleeping on my side in BA NCW is not the most pleasant experience. Think Edgar Allen Poe with an aching hip/arm/sore neck thrown in for good measure.

Best option is to book both trips as flexible refundable fares, so do the first on VS, and if you don't like it (i expect not) then cancel the second and re-book on BA.

Have fun.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 12:28 am

I'm only 6ft and fairly slim but couldn't sleep AT ALL in the J2000 seat as I would find I moved downwards (due to not being flat) and my feet hurt. Also the sides of the chair stopped me lying on my side as they blocked my arms - I found this less on BA NCW.

I see other people here prefer Virgin seats to NCW - obviously it is a personal thing but after suffering a J2000 seat from Tokyo to London I would prefer ANY other airline that doesnt' have this idiotic 60 degrees with all the pressure pushing down on your feet.

Julian

------------------
Loads of cards..too many. Why is life SO complex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.