Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard Entertainment Troubles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2003, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Onboard Entertainment Troubles

Does VS commonly have trouble with malfunctioning entertainment systems? I just completed a roundtrip LAX-LHR-LAX in Upper Class. Outbound, there were apparently several pax in Economy whose V-Port systems did not work. Inbound, the V-Port gave out after 30 minutes and that was it; I was not happy, but I felt really bad for kids (and all the pax around them!) and those adults who did not have access to the UC bar. My seatmate on that trip claimed that the whole system had failed on her outbound trip to LHR as well.

After all this I'd think twice before booking another flight on VS. Ten hours without entertainment is not a good experience.

Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:57 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Last time I flew LHR-LAX I had no video. And last but one HKG-LHR there were plenty of problems with V.Port. Not sure whether VS have a better or worse record than other carriers...

BC
Old Aug 26, 2003, 5:13 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
It was working fine on our LHR-HKG weekend - both ways infact - the only problem i had was as we were in PE - when the b*****d in the seat in front reclined - the screen viewing angle was reduced and lost half the picture - if one is a midget and can slouch forward in the seat - then full visibility would be regained, but those of us with legs can forget it. Needless to say, have booked UC for the Big Move to Hong Kong at end Nov.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:12 am

Programs: Various
You would think at £3m per plane it would be a bit more reliable. V ort can be tempremental to say the least.

But then saying that I have problems with various video systems on VS planes, if you are FC member, they will normally award 5000 points in compensation but make sure they log it in the flight report. If you are not a FC member, they will dish out £25 of Duty Free vouchers in Economy or Premium, I've heard of it been £50 in Upper.

But then thats what happens when you run your swanky new IFE on Linux

Thanks,
Richard

On the children front, Virgin Holidays have a lovely disclaimer in there brochure that states that the IFE does not constitute part of your holiday as such. Its most likely them little tykes that cause the issue with so many broken handests on the systems.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:09 pm

Definitely £50 in Upper.

BC
Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Wish I'd known about the duty free option. When we landed in LAX, we were given a letter entitling us to claim either 10% off our next Virgin ticket or 5000 FC miles. Neither really applied to me, since I don't have reason to fly VS again anytime soon. No sweat, though; I was on a Delta award and UC was pretty comfy!

I was surprised at the number of adults on board who had brought nothing to read. I don't care how great the entertainment is supposed to be; ten hour day flight = bring a book!
Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:19 pm

Location: Vienna, VA - VS Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Diamond
How many of VS' flights have this new VPort system? I recently flew LHR - IAD and this service was offered, it was great had no problems. This is not just for upper class is it? My next trip at Xmas is in coach but i dont want to miss out! Anyway i can find out in advance if IAD - LHR has it.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi brits_in_va,

Currently vport is on the A340-600's ( not on the 300 series) and on 2 of the 747-400's ( G-VBIG Tinker Belle and G-VWOW Cosmic Girl)

Regards

TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 08-26-2003).]
Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:38 pm

Location: Vienna, VA - VS Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Great, thanks for letting me know. Does VS always use same equipment going to each city? Is itn.net the best way to know what aircraft is used for my flight?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:14 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
The aircraft on a particular route vary, but the best way by far to find out which a/c you are likely to get is to visit -

www.virginflyer.com

This site is designed and maintained by FTer Pixuk and is very good for information about all things VS.

Nick
Old Aug 27, 2003, 4:14 am
Lux

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
if you are FC member, they will normally award 5000 points in compensation but make sure they log it in the flight report</font>
Was offered 15,000 miles for no in-seat power in UC (would have required them to turn off all of the IFE to get it working again - too high risk) but had to chase customer relations afterwards to get them.

Oddly, that's four times as many miles as i got for the flight to JFK.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 4:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lux:
Was offered 15,000 miles for no in-seat power in UC (would have required them to turn off all of the IFE to get it working again - too high risk) but had to chase customer relations afterwards to get them.

Oddly, that's four times as many miles as i got for the flight to JFK.
</font>
Myself and the kitten got a total of 20,000 for one broken screen, a crushed couple of wine glasses, and having to chase them to get the original points credited. I do have to say that normally VS customer services are very good about this sort of thing.

BC
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:50 am
Lux

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BlackCat:
Myself and the kitten got a total of 20,000 for one broken screen, a crushed couple of wine glasses, and having to chase them to get the original points credited. I do have to say that normally VS customer services are very good about this sort of thing.

BC
</font>
****, I didn't think of asking for points for getting no points! Still, I agree that VS customer service were quick to respond when I complained and offered comepensation on board - the complete opposite of BA who struggled to offer me £100 (and then never told me how to get it).

[Edited to express surprise that Rhett Butler's phrase is censored]

[This message has been edited by Lux (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:58 am

I flew G-VWOW Cosmic Girl on 23 August 2003.

Sitting in Economy, the 9" screens are wonderful.

The inflight supervisor announced that the plane had "major major inflight entertainment malfunctions" on the inbound to SFO flight (VS19) and that the people on my flight (VS20), should not "take it out the cabin crew, please".

He announced that some passengers have been apologised to and that VS gave them some cheques and hope they understood.

Other than that, v ort is very advanced. On board intranet is available (it didn't work though) and the sending SMS between seats on board the plane was not visible in my seat.

Airshow is very good but the interactivity seemed lost in the system (it wasn't interactive).

More importantly, all the 52 movies and CDs worked with AVOD and that was very good to know and experience.

Reliability does seem to be an issue with the Rockwell Collins IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.