Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Upper Class for my honeymoon?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Cheap Upper Class for my honeymoon?

I want my lovely Fiancee to enjoy the luxuries of Club/U Class travel for our honeymoon to Barbados, so Im trying to find a way to do this without spending too much money!

I have seen a fare of around UK 2,060 for UC return trip LGW-BGI.

I have about 75,000 AMEX MR points, so my plan is to join the flying club, and transfer those points to it, book the cheap UC fare for myself and then spend 65,000 Flying Club points on a companion UC ticket.

We plan to depart on Sept 29th.

Can anyone spot any mistakes in my thinking - are there any restrictions on companion fares that Im not aware of??

Thanks,

Rhys.

Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:05 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
From the VS website:

4.39 Qualifying fare levels for Upper Class Companion tickets on Virgin Atlantic flights:

Any full Upper Class fare booked in J or D class. Excludes Z Class APEX and Excursion type, seat sale or any other special/promotional type Upper Class fare.

So, OK on D fares, not on Z fares which are always the cheapest.

BC
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:21 am

Programs: Various
As per BlackCat + the following:-

Book in advance, as there are lower fares by booking 30, 42 days in advance.

Speak to AmEx who will be able to assist with looking for these fares as I find VS direct not exactly the hottest on this subject, sometimes they even take offence if you start using fare codes and basis.

Yes Z class is the lowes, but you can't do a companion. With a D you can but it will be a more expensive ticket but no limo. Full J ticket will allow a companion and get you limo. Don't forget that D and J qualify for £200 of John Lewis vouchers at the moment.

Thanks,
Richard

P.S. - Its Upper Class or J Class - U Class is actually a reward economy ticket on Virgin
Old Jun 24, 2003, 4:52 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
you cant use a companion award on a Z ticket or D for that matter. The rules changed recently and you can only use d for companion if travel originates in the US - ull need to buy a full J at £2700 - sorry

Jon
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Update:
I have now booked the flights, I had to pay a full upper class fare at 2,900 to qualify for a companion fare, but I think this plus 65K amex points is quite a cheap way of getting two people in Upper Class to Barbados.

I'm really looking forward to the trip (September 29th) I have managed to secure the front row seats on the outward and return journey, so I think my wife will be very impressed.

The problem now is going to be keeping the secret, I've told her that we are going economy and at the moment she has no idea that we are going Upper Class. I managed to intercept the tickets and hide them, but she did find the letter explaining that we had 40kg per piece luggage allowance, she frowned and said "thats odd"

Will the limo driver give the game away? Do they usually carry any Virgin/Upper class signs/notices? If its just a normal limo service, Ill be able to convince her that I arranged it through the travel desk at work.

The only slight negative is that the Barbados fleet seems to be quite a way behind in terms of seats and entertainment systems. Do any of you VS experts out there think that the LGW-BGI service will get an upgraded aircraft/seating/entertainment by Sept 29th?

Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:46 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Look, at some point you're going to HAVE to tell her you're in Upper Class.

Are you going to try to hide the boarding passes from her too? Are you going to bypass the lounge just so you can surprise her on the plane?
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Perhaps I should let her sit in economy for half the journey too and then shout "Ha Ha just kidding, we are supposed to be flying up front"

On second thoughts, Ill probably let her in on the secret when we go to the Upper Class checkin!

Having said all that, Im lousy at keeping a secret, Ive had to bite my lip several times to stop myself from giving the game away
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Rhys Uk, ignore all these romantic slackers and keep the secret for as long as possible! Imagine her face when you walk her up to the UC check-in....Priceless! (sorry - guilty of pinching Mastercard's strapline...!)

I think your plan to surprise your lucky fiance is fantastic - go for it!

Hope you have a fabulous time

FB
Old Jul 22, 2003, 3:52 am

If you are using the Virgin Limo Service, wont that mean that you are using their drive-through check-in too? Or is Vrigin not doing drive-through check-in at Gatwick anymore?

I suppose that you could request - if you arranged it beforehand - that they drop you off at the terminal instead of using drive-through check-in, but think that drive-through check-in (if available) would be nore special...

Boo
Old Jul 22, 2003, 6:54 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
But now you've set a precedent - and all future travel will have to be in J Class to keep her happy ! Good Luck !
Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GK:
But now you've set a precedent - and all future travel will have to be in J Class to keep her happy ! Good Luck !</font>
It's a great precedent to set. Mrs Edi-traveller doesn't want to travel anything below PE/WT+ now. (Our original honeymoon was shoe horned into a Britannia plane)

We are going to SFO in BA First (on awards) for our 10th Anniversery next month. That may be a precendent too far!!!

[This message has been edited by edi-traveller (edited 07-22-2003).]
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:39 am

Snap, edi-traveller!

On our honeymoon, Mr Boo Boo Too and I flew on Britania (Eeekkk!). Now anything less than Business Class is a disappointment. Do have to travel long haul economy occassionally, though... Here's to us all winning the lottery!

Boo
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:24 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:

We are going to SFO in BA First (on awards) for our 10th Anniversery next month. That may be a precendent too far!!!
</font>
BIGmistake! Mrs CT has gotten used to F over the last few years with our 2-3 holidays per year and will NOT fly anything else (CX,SA) also.

Spending those miles for the first time worked out very expensive....
Old Jul 23, 2003, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
It's interesting how your expectations and standards change as you get older and are earning decent money.

Once upon a time I thought Dan Air gave good service on their knackered old Comets.

Moving from Dan Air to Britannia was a significant improvment.

Then when I tried BA Economy (remember 31 inches of pitch is still 4 inches more than Britannia) nothing else would do.

Then premium Economy.

Then Business.

Then First.

I guess the next step is a private jet - but that really would require the lottery win.

An to think that the vast majority of travellers never step higher up the experience ladder than Britannia.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 7:38 am

Fortunately I have never tried First - am sure it would be a BIG (and very expensive) mistake.

Boo
(realising that she is spoilt, but very graetful...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.