Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Transfer Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

LHR Transfer Questions

Hello all. I have a few questions regarding transfers at LHR…

My wife and I are flying from EWR on VS 002 in UC and I have booked the tickets using miles. We would like to use Revivals before we make a connection to CDG later in the day. Also, we have friends who are on BA to CDG and would like to travel with them if possible. I haven’t booked the connection yet and am trying to decide which carrier to book, BMI or BA. My questions are:

Will VS allow me to check my bag through to CDG and provide me with a boarding pass on BA (I know they will with BMI)? -- The agent I spoke with said “yes”, but I would prefer to hear from those of you who have actually done this in the past.

If I don’t check my bags through, how much time should I leave for re-checking in at T4 for BA so that I can spend sufficient time in Revivals?

Thank you for your help.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 3:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I'm not a VS expert, but recently asked a similar question here and was given very good advice.

I was on a flight from BOS which arrived at around 7:30AMat Terminal 3 and needed to transfer to T2 for an LH flight to MUC.

We too wanted to use the Revivals lounge if possible. I was able to check my luggage through from BOS - MUC even though LH was not listed as a'partner' on the Virgin site. It was handled very matter-of-factly during check-in at BOS.

With this hurdle out of the way we still needed to find a way to switch terminals in LHR. Due to our lack of familiarity with LHR we decided to stay airside and take the bus between terminals.. Just follow the signs that say 'Flight Connections' rather than 'Baggage claim.'

We did have to go through another security check, before the check-in desks at T2. Maybe we took a wrong turn but I was pretty sure we followed all the proper paths. We had about a 30-40 minute wait befor boarding and probably would not have been able to relax that much. I f you have more than a 1-2 hour layover it may work better.

Thanks to those that gave advice in my
'VS LHR questions' thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum53/HTML/000904.html

I'll have a proper response later but we are still enjoying London.

Regards,
Old Jun 12, 2003, 3:31 am

Some points that may want to consider;

* BMI flights to CDG leave from T1, which is considerably closer to T3 (your arrival terminal) than T4, which BA use for the majority of their flights.

* The VS Revivals Lounge is landside, so you'd have to effectively clear customs and immigration to take advantage of it. Assuming that's a possibility, T2 is reachable by the moving walkways. T4 is a bus/tube ride away.

* You'll get miles/tier points (depending on your class of travel) with BMI for VS flying club - although this is obviously only relevant if you're a VS collector rather than one of their partners.

I was on the BMI to/from CDG earlier this week, and it was operated with a smart, clean Airbus. Service was very good, and the food (biz) was ok (snack service, not really enough time to serve much else!). BA obviously offer a similar product (although I find the service can be a bit spotty), so it comes down to your personal preferance.

I'd go for the BMI flight, if for no other reason that it gives me a little extra time in the lounge, plus I'd earn a couple more VS miles.

Pix.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, EY Plat, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
i have a question on the same theme. I'm booked on a flight from amsterdam on BMI into T1 LHR which lands 3 hours before my virgin flight VS11 departs for Boston from T3. My travel agent insists I have enough time to get my luggage and transfer to T3 in time before VS check-in closes. I only have 2hr 45 mins - and understand checkin closes 2 hours before.

Has anyone done this before or have any suggestions if this can be done?

Thanks
Rich
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Cobijonz:

Virgin will be able to check you bags onto most airlines. This has nothing to do with alliances, but interline agreements. At check-in, you have to provide your tickets for the connecting flight. You must have proof that you have a CONFIRMED reservation. Whether it's BA or BMI or XXX, checking the bags is not an issue. Issuing boarding cards, however, is. VS must have some alliance with the other carrier in order to print the boarding cards. This happens with BMI, Emirates, Malaysian, just off the top of my head. But definitely no BA or LH.

As previously stated, in order to use Revivals you must clear immigration. Without having to wait for bags, clearing customs will then be a breeze. Just leave yourself at least a couple of hours (preferably 3 or more) between flights to be able to enjoy the lounge. Mind you, even though your bags will be checked through, YOU will not be. You still must check-in with your new carrier, so make sure you leave enought time for that. You will now be airside so will have to wait in line at the regular check-in desks and have to clear security. But don't be too stressed about it. Definitely use the Arrivals lounge. It's worth the effort.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
rjb001:

Why would you have to collect your luggage in LHR? BMI should be able to check you luggage to your final destination. As stated before, just make sure you have proof of your confirmed, onward reservation. Why carry your luggage all over LHR?
Old Jun 13, 2003, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks much for the great advice here. I think I am going to opt for the BA flight that our friends are traveling on as it will ease the coordination once we arrive in Paris.

One more question then... Assuming we have our bags checked through on BA, is there an airside transfer desk nearby VS arrival gates for BA that I can use to check-in before I go through immigration, customs and on to Arrivals? This would allow us to spend more time in Arrivals as opposed to trekking over to T4 2 hrs early for the economy queues.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.