Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin PE vs. BA WT+?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Virgin PE vs. BA WT+?

i know it has been written about before, but is there anyone with enough experience in both BA WT+ and Virgin's PE to lay it all out... are either of them worth it, is one better than the other, why?
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:46 am
dnw

I used to fly both quite a bit, and they are fairly similar, however I used to see two obvious advantages of each, which depending on what you're after may help you decide.

VS PE
-Champagne (pay on BA)
-150% mileage (125% on BA)

BA WT+
-Superior recaro seat (VS seat is just like a fattened up economy one)
-Consistent 18 channel IFE/laptop power (VS varies a lot depending on aircraft)

Other than that, seat size/pitch, service, food etc etc is all basically the same.

For me the most important thing was the seat and I found BAs to be much better. Others find the mileage credit and extra bit of service on VS more important.

dnw

edited to add: definitley worth paying for if you can get the discount fares (K on VS, T on BA).. economy is torture on both carriers!

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited 01-21-2003).]
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Although I have no experience of BA WT+, here are some more points comparing VS PE with BA WT+ ( apart from dnw's comments on seating,champagne and miles ( I like miles )

VS
Priority Checkin ( Do not think it is available on BA WT+)
Priority Boarding
On the LHR 747-400 most of the seats are on the Upper deck behind the exit ( 2-3 rows on the main deck of the LHR aircraft). On the LGW aircraft all PE seats are on the Upper Deck
2-2 configuration with the storage containers by the window seat. The Upper deck tend to be quieter also.
On BA WT+ will be behind Club World on the main deck and I think it is over the wing.
Same food service as economy although you should be served first.
Priority disembarkcation
Premium Economy luggage tags ( bags seem to come off before economy luggage) - On BA I think there is no separation.

On the 747-400 Upper Deck I think the service is very good as you alos have dedicated staff also serving the Upper class section and when I flew in PE Upper Deck the crew were great.

I personnally would not pay out of my own pocket for the fully flexible PE fares ( W class on VS) ie £2000 to US west coast £1200 US East Coast but you can get discounted PE tickets ( non changeable/non refundable) for a few hundred £ more than Economy ( just now PE to LA/SFO is £539 to IAD/NYC/BOS £470 approx)

The choice... is yours ( apologies to our graham on Blind Date)

Regards
TBS
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

thanks so much, best info i've heard about the subject... sounds like overall BA is the better option, can do without the champagne...
one last question, is the food in both that much better than in coach?
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

On the 747-400's ( esp the LHR ones and the newer ones "Cosmic Girl" and " Tinker Belle" the PE seats are newer with lumbar support and a proper legrest and headrest with better recline. I flew on an A340-300 and the PE seat was getting a little on the old side with the older style footrest ( but better than economy)

Food on both services( BA & VS) is the same as standard economy but you should be served first.

I've tried to be as objective as possible ( but I prefer VS to BA as VS has been very good to me ).
Have you tried asking on the BA forum? about their opinion on BA WT plus as several people managed to take advantage of the BA snafu $20 WT+fare US-Europe

Regards
TBS
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

ok in light of the other opinon which brings up good point virgin sounds a little better... what's the scoop on the food in VS PE and BA WT+?
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:32 pm

Programs: Various
Thought I should throw my awe in....

There is a separate check-in for WT+ last time I was in T4 at LHR.

All WT+ seats have power-points which is a big plus, where on VS the new planes with the new W seat also have Empower points.

Airline food in Y/W class is airline food. the point that you will get a choice of three meals has been made.

What I would say is that it depends where you are flying to and on what fare. BA has a very consistent W product compared to VS. On one flight I wish I had asked to be sat in Y as I would have been more comfortable.

On some routes a paid K/W fare on VS is almost a guarantee to get upgraded to Upper Class, which is not going to happen on BA.

Do you want champagne?
DO you want full miles regardless of if the ticket is discounted?
Do you want a power point for your laptop?

Let us know your intended route and then we may be able to provide some more detailed information

Thanks,
Richard

P.S. Had another great flight back from SFO today in Economy, the plane was very empty, over 100 short in Y, IFS remembered me . Lots of space, and spent a fair time speaking to the FA's as they had little to do . Made full use of the arrivals lounge for once, fabulous treatment in the v.touch and nice breakfast to set me on the way. another comment in the logbook, and saw some of you guys in there too (TBS....).
SFO lounge as always was good.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

RichardMannion,

moe good advice, one thing you pointed out on VS PE intersts me. What is a full K/Y fare, and when you say they are almost guarenteed an upgrade, is that reguardless of FF status, or even being a member?
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

K= Discounted PE fare
W= Full PE fare
Y=Full Economy fare

On some routes ( notably the LGW-MCO routes) beacuse VS ( and most other airlines probably on some routes) will overbook flights to some degree and if everybody does in fact turn up then VS will upgrade Economy passenges into PE (usually) and the PE passengers into Upper Class.

Having status would probably improve your changes although occasionaly non status people will be upgraded

Retuning from IAD on 4th Jan while at the bar I overheard one person takling about being upgraded and his friend in row 50 being unhappy ( I assume that was the very rare double upgrade- has not happend to me )

Richard will probably give you more details ( and point out any glaring errors but I hope this is useful.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:09 pm

Programs: Various
I ws tlaking about the VS LGW-MCO route.

Regularly I see/hear about the following getting upgrades to W/J:-

-Red Flying Club members
-People who booked with Virgin Holidays (next time you're at a carousel, collecting luggage. Take a anote of how many Virgin Holiday luggage tags you see paired up with Premium economy tags)
-People flying on reward tickets that have been booked for them by Flying Club members

Having status will assist, the higher the better. But don't expect upgrades; I was chatting to the IFS on my outbound flight and he told me of a recent flight to Tokyo, where they had over 130 Silver and Gold FC members onboard. There were 18 AU's on my outbound, and 2 on the return.

Double upgrades do occur, but not too often and the word you are looking for here is - Gold.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:35 pm

BA only offers two choices for meal...beef or chicken, while VS usually has a third vegetarian selection.

I'd take VS over BA any day. I have only flown BA WT+ once, but have 3 more WT+ trips coming up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.