Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Main Cabin Select

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, AA G (MM), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Global Entry, NEXUS
Question about Main Cabin Select

VX experts:

We're having a discussion in the AS forum about whether AS should implement a test of some sort of premium economy style product. Questions have been raised about existing premium economy programs -- specifically, their profitability (or not) and the loyalty they generate among elite fliers (or don't).

What is your perspective on this? I believe that Main Cabin Select is profitable; is this correct? And how loyal does it make you to VX? What would you do if it went away?

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
For non-elite VX members, MCS gives free food, drink (cocktail), and baggage... we hate to have everything as carry-on, so we're already saving $15/bag per pax.

Without MCS, we'd need to factor the $15 and bring our own food.

However, not having MCS wouldn't stop us from flying VX, simply because of the amazing IFE, super-friendly staff (ground and air), and food options when we want to spend money. The fact that the IFE allows one to order/pay for food shows faster speed and thought with this transaction, which UA/et al don't seem to understand.

Speaking of UA, their Economy Plus (E+) gives extra legroom and priority seating compared to the regular Economy section, and this little tidbit is responsible for a lot of the UA loyalists despite the various complaints that UA elites have about UA. UA also sells E+ access to their non-elite PAX.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a tall person, VX is simply not an option for a transcon for me unless I can get MCS for a price similar to full-Y on other carriers. In that sense, it does encourage me to fly VX. However, VX's lack of a competitive frequent flyer program means I don't fly them on transcons unless I have already made highest level status on another airline.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Generally speaking, the comments I have heard have been a mix of "I wish they would just charge me for the space, like before MCS" (previously, it was a lower charge to reserve the bulhead/exit row seats), and "this is fine".

I've sat in MCS on a lark. It was OK, but I don't think it's worth $50 day-of-flight on a 2+ hour SEA-LAX flight, in retrospect.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Generally speaking, the comments I have heard have been a mix of "I wish they would just charge me for the space, like before MCS" (previously, it was a lower charge to reserve the bulhead/exit row seats), and "this is fine".

I've sat in MCS on a lark. It was OK, but I don't think it's worth $50 day-of-flight on a 2+ hour SEA-LAX flight, in retrospect.
I'm with the "I wish they would just charge me for the space, like before MCS" crowd.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL, US, XE, VS, VX, AS
Maybe I'm the weird one, but I like MCS for more than the space!

Dare I say, I enjoy MCS more than FC. Recently flew FC out, MCS back and found that with the "Eat" button and the promptness of the crew, MCS service was even better than FC. The FC attendant was busy the whole flight prepping, serving, and cleaning the galley. In MCS, I got my drinks within 5 min or so, I like the food options better, and its nice to have dedicated overhead space and free TV.

I wouldn't pay for just more room, I happily pay for all the other extras included.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Without starting an entire new thread - are the front of cabin MCS seats better/worse/the same as the mid cabin ones? Service any different? Do you just order and they bring stuff, or do they pass through the cabin?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Without starting an entire new thread - are the front of cabin MCS seats better/worse/the same as the mid cabin ones? Service any different? Do you just order and they bring stuff, or do they pass through the cabin?
There is usually a pass through from front to back, so the front seats are better in terms of getting served faster.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Also, the screens aren't in seatbacks, so they won't be titled when someone leans their seat back. No storage at the seat, though (you have a translucent bulkhead between you and F).
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, VX, AA
How dedicated is "dedicated"?

Originally Posted by UpstateDave
Maybe I'm the weird one, but I like MCS for more than the space!

Dare I say, I enjoy MCS more than FC. Recently flew FC out, MCS back and found that with the "Eat" button and the promptness of the crew, MCS service was even better than FC. The FC attendant was busy the whole flight prepping, serving, and cleaning the galley. In MCS, I got my drinks within 5 min or so, I like the food options better, and its nice to have dedicated overhead space and free TV.

I wouldn't pay for just more room, I happily pay for all the other extras included.
My first rt on Virgin SFO-LAX this weekend in MCS. Overheads were getting full, and row 8 overheads were full when a passenger seated in 8E was looking for space. FA's were storing non-MCS bags in row 8 bins, so there was no room left for her bag. I volunteered to remove my backpack to put under the seat in front of me so she wouldn't have to check her bag. Out of curiosity, does MCS guarantee the space, or is it up to the FA's to make that determination? For an hour flight, I didn't mind losing my legroom, but for a longer flight, I might have not volunteered.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by malsf1
My first rt on Virgin SFO-LAX this weekend in MCS. Overheads were getting full, and row 8 overheads were full when a passenger seated in 8E was looking for space. FA's were storing non-MCS bags in row 8 bins, so there was no room left for her bag. I volunteered to remove my backpack to put under the seat in front of me so she wouldn't have to check her bag. Out of curiosity, does MCS guarantee the space, or is it up to the FA's to make that determination? For an hour flight, I didn't mind losing my legroom, but for a longer flight, I might have not volunteered.
It promises separate bins for MCS-use only.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
On plane from IAD to SFO right now (I purchased the GoGo Wifi for $12.95 so I could do some work, but I can't connect to my work VPN now, and the power plug isn't working now either. Very frustrating. The flight attendant told me that they cycle the power throughout the plane, but if my computer dies, that doesn't help much). Anyway, this is my first Virgin flight and I decided to upgrade to the main cabin select. My choice was between a middle seat in the exit row or a middle seat in row 3. After reading some posts here and checking seatguru, I went with row 3 based on comments that it had extra leg room. Big mistake. Row 3 actually had less leg room than a regular seat. Well, it techically may have had more room for your knees, but it was impossible to extend your legs at all. I'm 6'1 and the flight would have been unbearable for me in that seat. Luckily I was able to move to an exit row seat, which has plenty of leg room. The seats are pretty tight though if you have a full row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.