Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Reliability Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
My first flight on Virgin (8/5) LAS-SFO in FC. Unfortunately, Red was on the fritz. We were not given any kind of voucher.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL, US, XE, VS, VX, AS
DL anyone?

I am so surprised no one has mentioned this yet... DL has the same piece of junk IFE system. It works flawlessly when not connected to LiveTV (i.e. INTL confg-aircraft and BusinessElite), however I have yet to be on LiveTV flight where all the channels worked. Besides LiveTV, everything seems to work and i often watch the moving map, design a playlist, or watch a movie.

Sounds like similar issues with Red, so I can only think that it is something with DishNetwork or the software behind it.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by UpstateDave
I am so surprised no one has mentioned this yet... DL has the same piece of junk IFE system. It works flawlessly when not connected to LiveTV (i.e. INTL confg-aircraft and BusinessElite), however I have yet to be on LiveTV flight where all the channels worked. Besides LiveTV, everything seems to work and i often watch the moving map, design a playlist, or watch a movie.

Sounds like similar issues with Red, so I can only think that it is something with DishNetwork or the software behind it.

More to do with the receiving hardware than anything else, although there are also software upgrades that may help as they get the technology more mature. The providers (ie, Dish or DirecTV) have nothing to do with the issues of keeping a signal lock in a moving aircraft over the continental US. Agreed on Delta's live TV being pretty bad, though, too. They'll get better.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: DL, US, XE, VS, VX, AS
Originally Posted by articos
More to do with the receiving hardware than anything else, although there are also software upgrades that may help as they get the technology more mature. The providers (ie, Dish or DirecTV) have nothing to do with the issues of keeping a signal lock in a moving aircraft over the continental US. Agreed on Delta's live TV being pretty bad, though, too. They'll get better.
While it most certainly isn't all DishNetwork, I can certainly fault them for providing DishNetwork Subscription Info-mmercials on all the stations that do work!
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:05 am

While it most certainly isn't all DishNetwork, I can certainly fault them for providing DishNetwork Subscription Info-mmercials on all the stations that do work!
I believe that what you're seeing is a default channel when you are trying to watch a channel that does *not* work. Only some aircraft seem to do this.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, HHonors
Regardless of the where the blame gets placed it's not the best advertising idea to play a DISH Network infomercial as the default when a channel if not functioning properly.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mimi Imferst
Regardless of the where the blame gets placed it's not the best advertising idea to play a DISH Network infomercial as the default when a channel if not functioning properly.
Agreed! Btw, I'm 2 for 2 in flights (yesterday and today) with Red working well (for me). Saturday was Virgin and Tonic, and today was Fog Cutter. Actually, there was a problem on Fog Cutter in that Red did not work in row 14 only. But most of the channels worked for the rest of us.

Tomorrow's another plane (A320).
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by aviators99
Agreed! Btw, I'm 2 for 2 in flights (yesterday and today) with Red working well (for me). Saturday was Virgin and Tonic, and today was Fog Cutter. Actually, there was a problem on Fog Cutter in that Red did not work in row 14 only. But most of the channels worked for the rest of us.

Tomorrow's another plane (A320).
3 for 3 now...632 today (unnamed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.