Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elevate Rewards? Too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Elevate Rewards? Too good to be true?

It's only 4,900 points to redeem a free flight. 5x points per base fare dollar. $149 each way to New York, you're looking at a little over 3 flights for a free trip (unrestricted). Am I hearing right???? Not only is Virgin about $180 cheaper than AA/United, I'll get free flights faster without any blackout dates? I looked on the elevate FAQ, and it said "Free roundtrip tickets will be available initially for as little as 4,900 Points." To me, that sounds like 2 things:

A. "initially" means they'll raise the point level soon enough
B, "as little as" means not every free flight will only be 4,900 points

Any thoughts?

I also have a Citi Premier Pass elite card that is coming in the mail any day now. For every mile flown, you get 1 Thank you network point (assuming you have 1 purchase point to "free" the mile point...) I'm wondering if this will work in conjunction with Virgin America. Anyone have any experience? I can't imagine why it wouldn't work...but who knows.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
We are still waiting for details on the eleVAte program.

There is speculation that the 4900 points will be a short-haul flight like SFO-LAX. I think I remember reading somewhere about being able to combine points and cash, suggesting that there will be a redeemable $$ equivalence to eleVAte points. Also, points will expire 18 months after they are earned not account inactivity .

There is (more) speculation that the program will be compatible with VS. The website says that they even plan to offer rewards on Virgin Galactic!

At this point, we only really have the FAQ's and speculation. Even without a full-feature FF program, I prefer VX on price, service and product (especially F). I'd prefer to be able to afford to fly F on most flights, than to collect miles and wish for an u/g.

Last edited by nermaljcat; Jun 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
There is speculation that the 4900 points will be a short-haul flight like SFO-LAX. I think I remember reading somewhere about being able to combine points and cash, suggesting that there will be a redeemable $$ equivalence to eleVAte points. Also, it is believed that points will expire 18 months after they are earned not account inactivity .
This is not a "belief" but a fact confirmed on the VX website. See this link.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by rjque
This is not a "belief" but a fact confirmed on the VX website. See this link.
I've edited my post to reflect this. Thanx!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
We are still waiting for details on the eleVAte program.

There is speculation that the 4900 points will be a short-haul flight like SFO-LAX. I think I remember reading somewhere about being able to combine points and cash, suggesting that there will be a redeemable $$ equivalence to eleVAte points. Also, points will expire 18 months after they are earned not account inactivity .

There is (more) speculation that the program will be compatible with VS. The website says that they even plan to offer rewards on Virgin Galactic!

At this point, we only really have the FAQ's and speculation. Even without a full-feature FF program, I prefer VX on price, service and product (especially F). I'd prefer to be able to afford to fly F on most flights, than to collect miles and wish for an u/g.

Ugh. Thanks for all the info. I read that other thread, and it appears as if my suspicions are indeed correct. If something's too good to be true...

Now I need to decide if I'll fly Virgin America LAX - JFK, or fly Delta with one stop from LAX - HPN (i think...white plains)

Delta is $20 cheaper but with 1 stop...but the main thing is at least I'll be building miles with them. Plus they have gold/platinum levels with extra perks...
Old Jun 24, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Plus they have gold/platinum levels with extra perks...
Well, VX's FF plan has no perks or levels. You basically get what you pay for.

I can tell you that in my case, even given that Alaska Mileage Plan is arguably the tops in the industry and I'm MVP Gold (top level) there, and I get loads of complimentary upgrades, I still fly Virgin America because it's a great experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.