Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dramatic increase in First class fare on VX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Dramatic increase in First class fare on VX

Well I guess the honeymoon period is over.

VX's first class fare seems to have increased dramatically during the past week. I was checking some flights for September and October between LAX and JFK oneway. Most flights are showing $1074 oneway... with a few $900 and $800 fares in between. I even check October and November. Some of the flights going via San Francisco are $824. But the fares seem to have increased dramatically from the past...

I guess the fuel surcharge is creating some pressure. For me, it means more Y flights.

Not sure if increasing first class fare dramatically is the way to go though?

Any comments!

Carfield
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Yea honeymoon is over but we really could not expect anything less right? If all other airlines are increasing fares from fuel costs VX would get hit with this eventually. So yea gone are those $600+ OW F fares I hope they can turn a profit and stay flying they are a refreshing change.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I also noticed that starting Oct. 1, SFO-LAX goes from $149 one-way in F to $284. I'm actually surprised at the amount of the increase, since I keep hearing that F does not sell out in advance on the short-haul flights.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:20 pm

Yes the honeymoon is over, although to be fair the F and Y fares have been creeping up over a period of several months.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Bummer!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Just landed a $199 mid-week O/W SFO-SEA in F. UA wanted $189 for E+
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by HSaxa
And I just booked a bunch of $177 for SEA-SFO during July (in F).
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:03 am

That's an easy decision . Have you flown VX F before?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:46 am

Maybe it is my fault...

sorry guys... I told all the UA ppl that they were silly paying more to sit in Y on UA than to fly F in VX...

Originally Posted by auh2o
That better be the case. Otherwise I could not fly them anymore.

But how much more than the current $1200 B fare from LAX-SFO get?
Why would anyone pay that?

You can go VX in F for a fraction of that ($149 + tax each way), it is flexible and it kills UA's product!
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....5&postcount=31
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Originally Posted by nermaljcat
That's an easy decision . Have you flown VX F before?
This will be my first time. Looking forward to it. Can I access the Club Lounge at SFO?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:41 pm

This will be my first time. Looking forward to it. Can I access the Club Lounge at SFO?
IMO - VX F is the best domestic F I've experienced. I don't want to build up you're expectations too much... I'll let you make up your own mind (please post a trip report ).

Virgin-Atlantic clubhouse access will cost $30-40, but provides free food and drinks (at specific times) and is ber cool. Here are the details: http://www.virginamerica.com/va/news...More&pageName=
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Carfield
VX's first class fare seems to have increased dramatically during the past week. I was checking some flights for September and October between LAX and JFK oneway. Most flights are showing $1074 oneway... with a few $900 and $800 fares in between. I even check October and November. Some of the flights going via San Francisco are $824. But the fares seem to have increased dramatically from the past...

Not sure if increasing first class fare dramatically is the way to go though?
Any comments!

Carfield
SFO-JFK for early July is $1074 as well. With only 8 seats, I'm surprised it took this long. With fuel where it is and considering the competition, given VX quality, it's still pretty reasonable.

Although I must say that I was a little surprised to pay $414 each this afternoon for our LAS-SFO flight... although with the weather meltdown at SFO and a US connection cancellation (thanks US for protecting me on flight 7 hours later, right!), I was happy to snag the last 2 VX F seats on a much earlier flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.