Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible Virgin America Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by sdelira
So, last year (August 2008) I took a flight with my wife from San Diego to San Francisco on VA. The trip to SFO was pleasant and without incident.

Upon my return, my checked luggage was damaged and required repair. I was given the option of letting VA keep my luggage and repair it or take my luggage and get it repaired myself. Being the traveling control freak (like most of us here) I took my luggage to repair shop in San Diego, then submitted the documentation required for repair. That was completed last September.

Upon successive calls and emails to VA poc's at the airport I have still not received any update, letter or communication in regards to the status of my reimbursement. So, in the mean time, I will stick with the other airlines for travel to SFO and VA is not getting any of my FF business $$$.
Did you try calling Guest Care? They are different from normal reservations people and are in-house. They are only open during the week during the day. It is one of the options from the main menu on the reservation line. These are the people who have the authority to do stuff.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Please call 877-FLY-VIRGIN and say BAGGAGE
How long has there been one of those (really annoying) voice menus on 877-FLY-VIRGIN? It's been a long time since I've called... maybe I just forgot about it.

I don't mind the numeric menus, but really hate the voice ones. I normally resort to hitting #### until it forwards me to a real person.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by nermaljcat
How long has there been one of those (really annoying) voice menus on 877-FLY-VIRGIN? It's been a long time since I've called... maybe I just forgot about it.

I don't mind the numeric menus, but really hate the voice ones. I normally resort to hitting #### until it forwards me to a real person.

it's been that way since I can remember. But here's a tip - in general if you pay attention to the order something is offered, you can press the corresponding button.

For example, if you were given the choice between:
Flight Status (1)
Reservations (2)
Award Travel (3)
Post Flight Care (4)

you would push the button in parenthesis even though they were not spoken aloud.

Make sense?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
it's been that way since I can remember. But here's a tip - in general if you pay attention to the order something is offered, you can press the corresponding button.
Thanks! I've used that method before when presented with options (I think UA/MP also does that).

-- there is a pizza company here that I won't order over the phone from anymore because of their voice system (good thing they have a nice online ordering system - or I'd starve ).
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA MM, SPG Plat., HHonors GLD, Hertz PC
SFO 1K,

Thanks for the information. I have called and spoken with Ben in their Baggage group and he is working on my issue. Here is the real shocker - they have no record of my receipts ever being received, even though I faxed them over twice. Granted, this all occurred 2-months prior to that group being formed.

I'll keep everyone posted with the timing and outcome.

-sd
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, CO, SPG, HGP, FPC
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
This one is easy. Sue them in small claims. They will either not defend or come with checkbooks open.
The airline is contracted to provide transportation, which they did. Inflight "experience" is not guaranteed in the contract of carriage.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Wow! Fascinating reading especially the comments by SFO 1k and OP. Just happened to be lurking in the Elevate thread. Felt a little bit like a traitor since I'm normally trolling the UA forum I've just booked my first VX flight (SFO-SNA, LAX-SFO) for a bargain basement price compared to my usual preference UA or *A for mileage accrual. VX round trip totals $79. UA flights (similar times) totals $285. It's a weekend getaway trip so booking VX was a no brainer however even for a business trip I would still book VX as my rule of thumb is if I wouldn't pay for it personally I wouldn't expect the company to pay for a ticket 3X more expensive.... especially for a hopper flight.

It's been over a year since the "dark" plane has been mentioned so I will "wait and see" as I booked the earlyish SFO-SNA flight this coming friday. Was tempted to try F product however given the OP's experience I shall pass (so RAINDEER... if you're reading this know that you've changed my mind regarding VX F and VX has lost a little revenue!)

I also noticed a few comparisons between UA and VX

As far as transcon are concerned, I'll stick to UA for now. Most of my PS flights are upgraded. More recently flight to/from JFK are almost always oversold and I will get the occasional op up (after a confirmed upgrade) so the double upgrade into F is nice. The other benefit for me is being near the top of the waitlist if I get to JFK early (like I did last Friday) and being cleared for a seat on the 2:40pm flight instead of waiting till 7pm (my original flight). Granted the flights are full so it's E+ middle seat however it's still allows me the luxury of opening my laptop. Got back to the Bay area in time to have dinner with Lainys Jnr instead of hanging out at JFK for another 5 hrs. Quality time with my family is more important to me than an upgraded seat on a PS flight... ^
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by lainys
As far as transcon are concerned, I'll stick to UA for now. Most of my PS flights are upgraded. ^
I am missing those Westin heavenly fluffy white comforters on PS. I hate those blue stripe stratchy blankets UA uses now. hmmm... maybe should rethink VX for SFO-JFK-SFO.....
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:45 pm

w0w, I'm surprised you would dig up this old thread to talk about your first VX booking. Talk about beating a dead (err dark) horse!

You probably shouldn't dismiss F based on something that happened to someone over a year and a half ago . All VX planes now have Red and WiFi installed. Take a look at F on your way down the aisle to see what you're missing out on.

I wish you all the best for your first flight. We'd appreciate a trip report if you have time (good or bad).

BTW - checkout the FAQs to see how standby (T-24) upgrades work (though they're probably not as worthwhile on short flights like yours).
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:58 pm

You probably shouldn't dismiss F based on something that happened to someone over a year and a half ago . All VX planes now have Red and WiFi installed. Take a look at F on your way down the aisle to see what you're missing out on.
OK..... I'm tempted enough and will invest the $50 if F is available on one of the legs. If nothing else it will give me a taste of both F and Y VX products.

I wish you all the best for your first flight. We'd appreciate a trip report if you have time (good or bad).

BTW - checkout the FAQs to see how standby (T-24) upgrades work (though they're probably not as worthwhile on short flights like yours).
Thank you! Must have read my mind! I just finished the FAQ and will try "change seat" tactic tomorrow morning at T-24. Would be happy to submit an FT trip report on my experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.