Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Virgin America Trip Report Roundtrip SFO – JFK in F Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:24 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, DL Gold, AA, AS, VX, Hilton Diamond, Marriot, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Thumbs up Virgin America Trip Report Roundtrip SFO – JFK in F Class

Flight: VX231
Date: 9.23.07
Depart SFO: 9:55 A. M. PDT
Arrive: JFK: 5:25 P. M. EDT
Seats: 2A and 2C

Return:
Flight: VX234
Date: 10.3.07
Depart JFK: 6:35 P. M.
Arrive SFO: 10:20 P. M.
Seats: 1D and 1F

Mrs. SFO-SJC Flyer and I took our first VX flight on September 23, and we were both very impressed. Yes, there were some minor clichés. However, we would both rate our experience at 98 percent plus.

Approximately 18 hours prior to departure, I went to print our boarding passes. It was extremely slow going. While in the process, I called VX, and almost immediately, I was connected to an agent. As I began talking with her, our passes began printing. I requested from her information about the F meals. It took her a few minute to get the information. However, she was able to give me a complete menu.

Since we were carrying some medical devises with us, we arrived at SFO approximately an hour 45 minutes prior to flight time. We were told to check in 60 minutes prior. However, we did not want to be delayed at security.

There was no one in the VX F line for check-in, and, for that fact in either line. The procedure went quickly and smoothly. F baggage did not get priority treatment. Additionally, going through the security check was quick and smooth. There were few people in line. I do not remember if there was an F line available at that time, and it would have made no difference in the time spent going through security. We were in the International Terminal, and there was minimal departure activity at this hour.

As we were going toward the gate, the previous VX SFO to JFK VX flight was being pushed back. When we sat down at the gate, a VX LAX to SFO flight was arriving. I waned to count the number of PAX. However, I was not paying much attention as the first PAX left the jet way.

As we sat at VX gate 12, at gate 11, the pre-boarding for a JetBlue flight bound for JFK began. I counted the PAX boarding. I believe there were less than 40. That is compared to the 101 that were on our VX flight.

As we waited, I approached the podium and began talking to some of the VX employees. All of them were so up and positive and were excited about the future of VX. I was fortunate enough to talk with one of the IT people. She informed me that they were diligently working on the slow printing of boarding passes from personal computers. She said that they recognized the glitches in the system and were fixing them.

Mrs. and I were the first to board. An FA at the aircraft door was smiling as she welcomed us aboard. Then we noticed the magnificent soothing lighting. Believe me, it was so pleasant. We were both immediately impressed.

We were sitting in row 2 on the left. Yes, fitting carry-ons below the seats was tight, and, if everyone in F had two bags, there would not be room above in F for all bags. However, the on-top storage was continued, without interruption, into the main cabin, and one compartment door on each side was half in the F and half in the main cabin. It certainly was not a negative, nor was the fit for storage below the F seats a negative.

The spacing between the rows in F was just amazing in comparison to most domestic F configuration. There was more than plenty of room, the seats were big, extremely comfortable, and contrary to some naysayers, the white F leather seats were absolutely clean, just like new. Of course, they were almost new.

We sat down to a bottle of water at each seat. Almost immediately, the FA, or “team member”, as VX calls them, asked us for our drink order. I wanted Champaign, which they did not have. So, I had another drink. On our trip home, I was told that Champaign would be available in mid-October. It might also be worthy to note that VX does not have anywhere for F PAX to hang their coats, which, for me, is not a big deal.

As we sat and waited for departure we played with the seats, and I talked with the “team members”. They were excited, very friendly, and really happy to be working for VX. I was told that the Capitan and one FA were from JetBlue, and the co-pilot was from a region carrier, the name of which escapes me at present. Another FA was new to the industry. The refugees from JetBlue were there because they can get a higher seniority number and / or they wanted to live in the San Francisco area. The former JetBlue FA told be that he liked working for VX better than working for JetBlue.

As usual, during the boarding process, I was wearing my FlyerTalk cap. The gentlemen in front of me began talking to me. His FlyerTalk handle is UnitedFlyer. We talked several times throughout the trip. We both were very impressed with the F VX service.

Prior to takeoff, the Captain introduced himself and told us about the flight. He merely said his first and last name and that he was our Captain today. He mentioned that he would not make any announcements after take-off, unless absolutely necessary. He did not want to interrupt our enjoyment of the on-board entertainment. The cockpit crew was dressed in dark pants and a dark button-down shirt. There were no ties, and the shirts were worn open collar.

We departed on time.

Once we got airborne, our tray was set very nicely with extremely nice plastic silverware. Again, we were offered drinks. Additionally, we were given a choice of appetizers. Mrs. and I chose the yogurt parfait with granola and fruit. It was not a large parfait by any means. However, it was excellent. We do not remember the other choices. We were just too impressed with our choice of the parfait.

For breakfast, there were two choices: sour dough cinnamon French toast with baked apples and a link chicken sausages or a scrambled egg omelet. Rolls and other breads were also available. Mrs. and I both had the French toast. The apples and chicken sausage were excellent. Mrs. thought the French toast was excellent. I thought the French toast was not quite excellent, but very, very good.

The in-flight entertainment screen has many choices including more than several TV channels. I did watch some CNBC and CNN. I played with the Google map, which was recording and showing our flight path.

After breakfast, Mrs. pushed her seat all the way back, lifted her footrest, and fell asleep. An hour later, I did the same. She slept for almost three hours, and I slept for two hours. Neither of us had ever slept so long and so comfortably on a domestic flight, even in first class.

After we woke up, the FA offered us a choice of very nice hors d'oeuvres: a shrimp cocktail, or tomato with mozzarella, and a third choice, which we both do not remember. The other F PAX had already been served. However, since we were sleeping, the FA saved some for us, and our choices were excellent.

Prior to landing, I walked to the back of the plane. The black leather seats looked clean and comfortable.

We landed at JFK six minutes early. When we reach the baggage area, our wait for luggage was no longer than ten minutes, if even that. If bags are delivered that fast, I do not see any reason for F bags to have priority.

To say the least, both Mrs. and I were very impressed. Main cabin PAX are allowed to use the F restroom. However, VX F is better than domestic DL F, CO F, and NW F. UnitedFlyer and I agreed that VX F is better than domestic AA F is. He told me that VX F is definitely better than domestic UA PS and US F. However, domestic UA F is better. For approximately $1,500.00 more each way, it better be much better. The meals may not be as fancy on VX as some F domestic meals. However, there was more than enough to eat, and both the food and service were excellent.

One thing I am sure of: Virgin America is a winner and here to stay. Yes, VX has growing pains. All new businesses have growing pains. However, VX is well financed, has good leadership, and has excited, motivated, and positive employees. They certainly have an excellent product. We will be flying them again.

Some interesting things that I was told by VX airport staff on both our flights and at SFO and JFK include:

1. VX 319s are coming soon. On the 319s, the main cabin will have additional seat pitch and leg room. The 319 aircraft will most likely be used on the longer routes, while the 320 planes will remain on the west coast.

2. VX is considering expanding the F section to either 8 or 12 rows on the 319 aircraft. For the most part, F has been 100 percent full. Personally, I think an expansion of VX F is an excellent idea.

3. VX will begin service to San Diego soon, with Chicago and Seattle to follow, and Boston is a definite. Hawaii is seriously being considered.

4. VX has initiated several passenger suggestions, with more to come.

5. The FF program is a work in progress. It will have partners, including a credit card and hopefully other Virgin Group Airlines.

I do not know the accuracy of the five points above. It is information I received from employees. Additionally, I am making this report from memory. Mrs. and I worked on this. Unfortunately, neither of us took notes. We tried to be as accurate as possible.

I will do a separate posting on our VX flight from JFK to SFO. I think this posting may be too long already. So stay tuned. I definitely will have more.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:18 am

Programs: AA Exp- 4MM; UA 1K; BA Gold; 9W Plat; SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond; LH FT; DL Gold
Excellent trip report

Thank you for an excellent trip report.

I did not realize that a lot of staff at VX were from JetBlue. Make sense in retrospect given the route overlap, etc.

I did notice quite a bit of staff seemed to have been from Virgin Atlantic. I never checked that though. I wonder about that connection.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by gmailflyer
I did notice quite a bit of staff seemed to have been from Virgin Atlantic. I never checked that though. I wonder about that connection.
Yes, great trip report and look forward to your return trip details as well.

Some folks are from Virgin Atlantic, but there was no "connection" that brought them over to VX. In fact, in some airports like SFO, V-Atlantic replaced their own workers with contract workers leaving 20+ year employees out on the street. But these same folks are now at VX and loving it. They have no "credit" toward seniority as VX is a completely separate business.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report!^
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
thank you for the excellent report, and also for getting all those details about VX's future plans

the news about an expanded F cabin is not surprising considering loads there

SEA is also good news
Old Oct 13, 2007, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
Thumbs up

Thank you for the excellent trip report. I hope my trip report on flyertalk and my trip experience is as good when I fly VX F IAD-LAS via SFO November 3rd and 10th. ^
Old Oct 13, 2007, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks for a most informative Trip Report. Seriously, this was a great description. Most impressed. ^
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by SFO-SJC Flyer
3. VX will begin service to San Diego soon, with Chicago and Seattle to follow, and Boston is a definite. Hawaii is seriously being considered.
w00h00! I've been hoping/waiting for Chicago. I wonder how long it'll be until they start flights between SFO and Chicago (ORD or MDW)?

They've been advertising jobs at San Diego on their site, maybe they'll advertise a fresh batch of routes soon.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:29 pm

thanks for the great trip report. happy to hear about partnership potential with a credit card, among other things you mentioned
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:18 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've now completed my SFO-JFK-SFO round trip, with the outbound leg in Y and the return in F. Unlike the glowing report by the OP in this thread, my feeling is that the F service has a ways to go and is not, in my view, worth the fare difference from Y -- particularly if you pay the $25 extra to sit in Y row 3, which has as much leg room as first class although the Y seats are 3x3 and F is 2x2.

Some specific comments:

Y food service: snacks (for $1 and $2) run out if the plane is full, so order early. The last things to sell out are the Y "entrees" -- a fruit/cheese box and a half sandwich/weird salad box. Each goes for $8 and neither is particularly filling, which is probably why they don't move so fast.

F food service: the three small appetizers and three small desserts are exactly as others have mentioned -- very small, be sure to ask for all 3, FA's didn't always offer. Our entree choice was either shrimp or chicken. I ordered chicken. It was a slab of white meat on rice with one piece of green cooked chinese cabbage (I think). A roll was served with it.

I did not find the plastic cutlery particularly nice or appropriate for F service. Drinks were served in real glasses, otherwise most everything else -- including a piece of paper laid on the fold-out table and the napkin -- was paper or plastic. The food and utensils were roughly equal to long-haul international Y meal service IMO, although served in courses.

The computer will not let F passengers order Y food or snacks, but you can ask the flight attendant for them (they did not offer) and they are free. Our meal was not filling enough so we asked for, and got, the fruit/cheese choice. I had a glass of chardonnay and it was decent for airline wine.

Y seating: The Y seat is a Y seat, it's a bit newer and the leather-like covering is nice but otherwise unexceptional.

F seating: Seat pitch looked like about 45", better than standard domestic F at 38" but not as good as C in United ps. For some reason, although the seat had several controls, I couldn't find a single position that was comfortable. In part it was because the headrest couldn't be tilted forward so there was no way to recline the seat all the way and still comfortably watch the video screen.

There is no special treatment for F passengers on the ground other than early boarding and a separate check-in line.

The SFO gate area, in the international terminal, is good. The JFK gate area in T4 is abysmal. LA and SF flights were leaving from the same gate at about the same time at JFK and there was insufficient seating at the gate area. Also, there is nothing anywhere near the gate selling anything, nor is there a nearby rest room that I could spot.

I commented in another thread about the IFE so I won't duplicate that here except to re-iterate that I strongly recommend you bring your own headset. If you take the VA provided headset, take several pairs in order to be sure that you will get at least one that functions correctly.

F is now typically $599-699 one way except sometimes on the redeye eastbound. Again, IMO, it isn't worth it.

Amusing sidebar: when the flight crew wanted to use the front restroom, a flight attendant sort of stood spread-eagled at the bulkhead. Since the FA who did this was a female weighing about 110lbs, I am not exactly sure what deterrent value this provided.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Some specific comments:

Y food service: snacks (for $1 and $2) run out if the plane is full, so order early. The last things to sell out are the Y "entrees" -- a fruit/cheese box and a half sandwich/weird salad box. Each goes for $8 and neither is particularly filling, which is probably why they don't move so fast.
I wonder how people would know that the sandwich/salad isn't filling before ordering it?

F food service: the three small appetizers and three small desserts are exactly as others have mentioned -- very small, be sure to ask for all 3, FA's didn't always offer. Our entree choice was either shrimp or chicken. I ordered chicken. It was a slab of white meat on rice with one piece of green cooked chinese cabbage (I think). A roll was served with it.

I did not find the plastic cutlery particularly nice or appropriate for F service. Drinks were served in real glasses, otherwise most everything else -- including a piece of paper laid on the fold-out table and the napkin -- was paper or plastic. The food and utensils were roughly equal to long-haul international Y meal service IMO, although served in courses.
Compared to other carriers (US, ATA, DL) this sounds competitive. Compared to UA/AA/CO, I agree that it's a step down.

The computer will not let F passengers order Y food or snacks, but you can ask the flight attendant for them (they did not offer) and they are free. Our meal was not filling enough so we asked for, and got, the fruit/cheese choice. I had a glass of chardonnay and it was decent for airline wine.
So, with the addition of the complementary Y food product added to your meal, was the overall meal experience "filling enough"? Glad the wine was satisfactory.

Y seating: The Y seat is a Y seat, it's a bit newer and the leather-like covering is nice but otherwise unexceptional.

F seating: Seat pitch looked like about 45", better than standard domestic F at 38" but not as good as C in United ps. For some reason, although the seat had several controls, I couldn't find a single position that was comfortable. In part it was because the headrest couldn't be tilted forward so there was no way to recline the seat all the way and still comfortably watch the video screen.
All the seats on the aircraft are made of leather. Not sure where you get the "leather-like" comment? F seat pitch is 55" and is documented as such throughout their website. It's actually 1 inch more than the documented pitch for UA p.s.

F is now typically $599-699 one way except sometimes on the redeye eastbound. Again, IMO, it isn't worth it.
VX is doing a great job of selling out their premium cabins. If you're looking for a seat on a flight in the next two weeks or further out where just one or two seats are left, the price will be higher. But there are discounted seats available on every flight, it's just that they are sold out.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:10 pm

I just do not believe that the seat pitch in F is 55". There are only two rows and row 1, which we were in, terminated at a bulkhead. Maybe row 2 feels a lot better, or maybe they are counting the two bulkheads in their computation.

I didn't take a tape measure on board, but it just didn't feel like it -- 55" is roughly the seat pitch in UA international C and these seats didn't (and couldn't) recline nearly as much in the space they had been allocated.

I said "leather-like" because I wasn't sure, if they say it's leather, I'll believe it.

Adding the fruit and cheese plate didn't fill me up, but I'm a big guy! And maybe people don't order these boxes because they have seen someone else order one and were not impressed. Or maybe they don't order them because they are rather pricey at $8 in Y.

The ability to ask the FA for Y snacks was NOT something that anyone in F was told on our flight as far as I could tell. They weren't offered to us, for example. I just decided to try to see if it would work. To VX's credit, I wouldn't even have the nerve to try asking for something like that on UA or AA or DL, since I know I'd be turned down.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:15 pm

FWIW, I have asked for a BOB box and a sandwich on a UA transcon in F when I departed on a later flight with the fruit and cheese plate and received both, no charge.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
FWIW, I have asked for a BOB box and a sandwich on a UA transcon in F when I departed on a later flight with the fruit and cheese plate and received both, no charge.
Cool, I'll try it sometime, thanks for the info.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
The FF program is a work in progress. It will have partners, including a credit card and hopefully other Virgin Group Airlines.
Uh oh - watch out Alaska Airlines. If they link VX & VS's FF club then I shall be waving goodbye to the Eskimo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.