Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America to expand?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA - Plat
interesting to see so many UA members are using VX -- UA should take note.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Phamer55
I'm tired of waiting, will VX please announce SFO-MIA!! I've got cruises I need to book and I need to know!!
Don't expect new destinations to be announced for a while. The newest aircraft are being deployed to increase frequencies on the routes that are already in operation.

While VX is advertising for positions in MIA, there's no guarantee at this time that it will necessarily be the next new station - or when it would launch.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Don't expect new destinations to be announced for a while. The newest aircraft are being deployed to increase frequencies on the routes that are already in operation.

While VX is advertising for positions in MIA, there's no guarantee at this time that it will necessarily be the next new station - or when it would launch.
MIA won't be the next station.

As of this week, ORD will open in "late 2008" and Boston and Miami both "first quarter 2009." No other new stations are definite as of this time, and none other than MIA/ORD/BOS until summer 2009. They've already hired about three people in Miami, since Miami was originally set for spring 2008. They are still there, and will continue to be there. BOS/ORD hiring isn't underway.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
SMART. One big problem I have with JetBlue is too-thin frequencies, especially to/from west coast stations.

Just put my wife on VX SEA-SFO-IAD this morning... it's her/our first VX experience... I'm awaiting good reports.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
We're seeing the extra frequencies in SEA! Looking at the schedule in mid-August on a Tuesday I saw that SEA-LAX is 4X daily while SEA-SFO is 5X. VX will need to get a second gate. Any guess what gate? I'm think that because the gate is only needed for RON's that it will be YX's gate next to A6, I think it is A7. This means that if my aircraft time figuring is correct then VX will use gate A6 8X's a day. Very good utilization.

Now I have a choice. On 8/9 I will be going from EUG-JFK. The earliest reasonable EUG-SEA flight gets in at 0740. I will be checking baggage. Should I depart SEA at 0925 with a 2 hour connection in SFO or depart SEA at 1030 with a 35 minute connection in LAX? The only difference in airfare is that F class is $80 more expensive through LAX. Both flights arrive at 2215 and I can't arrive on the flights that get in at midnight. Is 2 hours a good enough connection time to recheck bags in SEA or should I brave a 35 minute connection in LAX?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:12 am

Miami 1st Quarter 2009

If they announce Miami by the 1st Quarter 2009, that would be fine by me! I'm looking at going to Miami Fall 2009, Spring 2010, & Fall 2010.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by prismwiz
We're seeing the extra frequencies in SEA!... VX will need to get a second gate. Any guess what gate?
Assuming the DL/NW deal goes through and DL moves its gating over to the South Satellite, consolidating with NW and leveraging the WorldClub over there, I'm thinking VX will have its pick of real estate in Concourse A. In my most extreme VX fantasy, they take over A12/13/14 and build out an EleVAte / Virgin Clubhouse in the mezzanine-level CRC space DL is now vacating. Otherwise the Port of Seattle's crazy-expensive new gate space will be pretty lonely.

On 8/9 I will be going from EUG-JFK. The earliest reasonable EUG-SEA flight gets in at 0740. I will be checking baggage. Should I depart SEA at 0925 with a 2 hour connection in SFO or depart SEA at 1030 with a 35 minute connection in LAX?
Given that you say you can't risk missing the transcon and arriving JFK at midnight or later, I would definitely do SEA-SFO-JFK with the longer layover as a cushion. Assuming your EUG-SEA hop (QX?) operates within a half hour of schedule, you would have plenty of time to check bags with VX.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Originally Posted by BearX220
Assuming the DL/NW deal goes through and DL moves its gating over to the South Satellite, consolidating with NW and leveraging the WorldClub over there, I'm thinking VX will have its pick of real estate in Concourse A. In my most extreme VX fantasy, they take over A12/13/14 and build out an EleVAte / Virgin Clubhouse in the mezzanine-level CRC space DL is now vacating. Otherwise the Port of Seattle's crazy-expensive new gate space will be pretty lonely.

Given that you say you can't risk missing the transcon and arriving JFK at midnight or later, I would definitely do SEA-SFO-JFK with the longer layover as a cushion. Assuming your EUG-SEA hop (QX?) operates within a half hour of schedule, you would have plenty of time to check bags with VX.
You must not have big dreams if your most extreme fantasy is VX in A12-14 . My most extreme fantasy has 3X SEA-HPN/SWF, 5X SEA-IAD, and 6X SEA-EUG . You are correct that an eleVAte club would be great. I think we may see one when VS comes into SEA. I think that SEA should change where its airlines are. Is there enough space in S to satisfy DLNW? Maybe NW will move in with DL and international flights will be in S?

Yes, EUG-SEA is QX. Last year had that flight as a RON so it should be the same this year. The flight should arrive at 0740. Do you think I could deplane, wait for my bag, check in with VX, and get to A6 by 0915 final boarding? It would be cutting it too close for comfort. But is 35 minutes too little in LAX?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Here's a rumor. No timeline is specified though, so it could be a few years from now...

Virgin America, for example, says it has had Austin on its possibilities list for at least a year.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...27airport.html (about half way down)
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by vardy50
Fifth SFO-JFK NS added June 10th. With the new third SFO-IAD flight added in mid-May it looks like their strategy is to add flights to compete w/ UAL etc with a more frequent schedule. Now if they only had E+......
It makes sense to compete on frequency but why bother with E+ when you can already fill the seats. It would simply cut down on revenue...

SMART. One big problem I have with JetBlue is too-thin frequencies, especially to/from west coast stations.
Yeah, they're all red eyes basically. I guess it keeps utilisation up though. & it also means convenient evening departures to the west coast...
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
Here's a rumor. No timeline is specified though, so it could be a few years from now...
With B6 expanding in AUS I think VX would be foolish to go there now. However, AUS was on the list of airports to open within 5 years that VX sent out.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EUG-SEA is QX. Last year had that flight as a RON so it should be the same this year. The flight should arrive at 0740. Do you think I could deplane, wait for my bag, check in with VX, and get to A6 by 0915 final boarding? It would be cutting it too close for comfort. But is 35 minutes too little in LAX?
It would sure help if you could do planeside bag check at EUG and get it back on the tarmac at SEA. With Menzies handling checked baggage here, it can take 30 to 40 minutes to retrieve a checked piece at the carousel, and that would be pushing it. LAX would definitely be too tight for my comfort though.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:56 pm

It would sure help if you could do planeside bag check at EUG and get it back on the tarmac at SEA. With Menzies handling checked baggage here, it can take 30 to 40 minutes to retrieve a checked piece at the carousel, and that would be pushing it. LAX would definitely be too tight for my comfort though.
Planeside checking would help, but I'll have to pack a check in bag without doubt. 2 weeks of clothes and necesities dictates that. Maybe I should take a later flight out of EUG and take the redeye? You bring up Menzies. VX uses them in LAX and SFO but not in SEA. The question I pose is then, do I trust Menzies is LAX or SEA more? I will probaly book the earlier flight and if I miss it I will try LAX. Still, 30-40 minutes in the morning? Assuming 40 minutes and an ontime arrival I should be fine for SFO. I hope.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, no, sorry to be imprecise -- I was referring to the fact that Menzies handles AS/QX at SEA, so the speed of checked bag retrieval off your EUG-SEA is in their hands, putting your fast reclaim / recheck plan at some risk. I would hope you'd be OK though.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:30 am

Oh, no, sorry to be imprecise -- I was referring to the fact that Menzies handles AS/QX at SEA, so the speed of checked bag retrieval off your EUG-SEA is in their hands, putting your fast reclaim / recheck plan at some risk. I would hope you'd be OK though.
I've read the AS board and heard of the terrible incompetance of Menzies. You were not impercise at all. VX uses Menzies at LAX and SFO while AS/QX uses them at SEA. I'll report if I make the flight three and a half months from now when it is scheduled.

Now back to our scheduled program of where will VX go to next. I say ORD, but I won't say no to SEA-JFK in time for my next NYC visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.