Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Travel Banks Lost After Jan 1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Virgin Travel Banks Lost After Jan 1

So, I just got off a mercilessly long joint call with both Virgin and Alaska customer service reps at same time.
According to Alaska rep, they just got updated guidance that as of Jan 1, all travel banks expire, are not automatically transferred, and so have to be used to by tickets by Jan 1 (only on Virgin) or they are LOST.
This is not what I understood, but she insisted that what was communicated earlier is now changed.
Anyone else here this? Thoughts on what to do?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
fly a RT somewhere from your home airport to another city not that far away and have dinner and fly back
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I don't know about automatic conversion, but credits can certainly be converted by 12/31 and used on AS after that date.

Convert Travel Bank to Alaska Airlines.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by dayone
I don't know about automatic conversion, but credits can certainly be converted by 12/31 and used on AS after that date.

Convert Travel Bank to Alaska Airlines.
I just moved $700+ over last week. It took all of 2 minutes to do online, waited a few hours for the 2 AS emails w/cert & pin and voila, AS Wallet was updated with a 12/2018 expiration date.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Yeah...particularly with later-expiring travel banks (say, something expiring next summer), AS/VX would be opening themselves up to lawsuits if they didn't honor the stated 12-month expiry. AS may be handling the VX merger in a pretty lousy manner, but I don't think they want to risk a bunch of folks hauling them into small claims court (which could happen in some states).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Alaska MVP
Yeah, I've been pretty happy with the conversion process tbh.

Last edited by ktenorman; Dec 26, 2017 at 2:30 pm Reason: Mistake
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
i have a $200 travel credit on VX that i just received. It says it expires on 12/25/2018

Consensus is that I should go ahead and convert to Alaska?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by caseminole
i have a $200 travel credit on VX that i just received. It says it expires on 12/25/2018

Consensus is that I should go ahead and convert to Alaska?
Unless you have a VX trip that you need to book for travel before 4/25 and don't actually need to convert it, yes, you should go ahead and convert it. The only thing you'll be saving is a few minutes on the computer and a number of keystrokes.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:14 am

Convert it before 12/31 to prevent any hassle.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:09 pm

Convert it before 12/31 to prevent any hassle.
So its apparently not automatically converted into "travel bank" $$$ per se. I indicated i wanted to transfer it, and they sent me an email, which I am fairly sure, I have to remember to keep when i fly next, correct?

Here is the email
Your PIN has arrived.
Hi CASeminole
Your PIN for the credit certificate ending in ******** is xxxxxx. Please make note of this PIN.

When you're ready to purchase your next trip, enter the certificate code and PIN on the payment page.

We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole
I indicated i wanted to transfer it, and they sent me an email, which I am fairly sure, I have to remember to keep when i fly next, correct?
You can deposit it into your Mileage Plan account. My Account> (My wallet) Transactions> Deposit a gift card or certificate. It will then be available to apply to a later purchase.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:50 pm

You can deposit it into your Mileage Plan account. My Account> (My wallet) Transactions> Deposit a gift card or certificate. It will then be available to apply to a later purchase.
See... THIS is what I love about flyertalk.

Credited! Thank you!

I was thinking i was going to have to file that thing away somewhere until i needed it, then would either forget it even existed, or not know where to find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.