Pricing differences - glitch between VX and AS?

Old Nov 7, 17, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Pricing differences - glitch between VX and AS?

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a deal when I noticed a very nice price difference between VX and AS on a code-shared (VX metal) fare from SFO to PVR in F.

VX has always been asking for $990 pp for the fare. AS had the fare at $860 pp. The plan was to use VX CC too. But yesterday, when AS's fare dropped to $525 pp and VX's hadn't changed, I just took the bait from AS with the VX card anyway. Why is AS undercutting VX? Maybe I'll get bonus points on CC in the end anyway.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Nov 7, 17 at 9:41 am
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:33 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
It was probably just weird timing or limited inventory on that flight, hard to say. I just checked a random day in April (Tues., 4/24) and both VX & AS are offering F for $531/pp. You can even get it down to $368/pp if you take UA via IAH.

You may want to check again, perhaps it's changed?
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
It was probably just weird timing or limited inventory on that flight, hard to say. I just checked a random day in April (Tues., 4/24) and both VX & AS are offering F for $531/pp. You can even get it down to $368/pp if you take UA via IAH.

You may want to check again, perhaps it's changed?

Nope and wow!!... $correction ($999) pp departure: March 31st. VX price

Now AS has the same price as VX... Hope I keep the price I have now..

Think this is Spring Break weekend perhaps here in the Bay Area. Used points to snag OW PVR-SFO on the last t F seats a couple weeks ago.
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Did just a little bit more investigating and discovered that the AS nonstop flight from SFO to PVR has six seats in F that are unassigned at the moment. AS and VX doesn't give the option to purchase seat on this flight as well (3/31/2018).

Guess it must be some sort of group purchase by TA or Corp. I'm thinking it would be odd for three couples or six people to no select a seat. VX is still offering to sell four seats at the $999 fare on their outbound flight though.
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post
Did just a little bit more investigating and discovered that the AS nonstop flight from SFO to PVR has six seats in F that are unassigned at the moment. AS and VX doesn't give the option to purchase seat on this flight as well (3/31/2018).

Guess it must be some sort of group purchase by TA or Corp. I'm thinking it would be odd for three couples or six people to no select a seat. VX is still offering to sell four seats at the $999 fare on their outbound flight though.
I just looked in the mobile app and both flights were $554 on that date. Strange on the As flight all six seats selected are on the left leaving entire right side open.
Old Nov 8, 17, 11:26 am
Original Poster

@johnp012001. I just checked as well and be careful, there's an AS nonstop flight that departs 2 hrs later than the VX nonstop. Both websites for the VX flight has the same pricing: $999 pp.

However, now the AS flight has one seat in F available at $659. But still, there are 5 unassigned seats in F. Looks like AS is going to undercut VX until the very end perhaps.

Search this Thread