Status for 2018

Old Jun 13, 17, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Status for 2018

So, while we still have a decent hard product (well, when the seats aren't broken...I jest...sort of), given the mild hassle of using B6 I'll probably be doing what little TCON flying I need to on VX. Now for the "fun" part:

AS has comped those of us who had Gold on VX into MVP Gold for 2017. Unfortunately, crediting VX flights in F to Elevate still makes far, far more sense than crediting them to Mileage Plan (a hypothetical lower-end $800 F ticket DCA-DAL-LAX would give me somewhere around 3625 base points, converting to about 4712 miles with the bonus, versus a distance-plus-status 4240 miles; if I get into a higher-end ticket the VX point pile can easily get over 6000, converting to over 8000).

As I've noted elsewhere, I also have neither the time nor inclination to knock through status on AS this year (I might jam in two TCON trips between now and the end of the year) but I'm wondering if there's going to be any carry-forward status into 2018 off of Elevate status (and what it might be based off of)? I sincerely don't recall if this was mentioned at some point.
Old Jun 13, 17, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

No carryforward of status. There will be some analysis of 2017 Elevate activity using not-yet-specified metrics to consider AS elite status for 2018.
Old Jun 13, 17, 1:18 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Should be the same as this year. If you get elevate Silver you get MVP, if you get elevate Gold, you'd get MVP Gold. It would be very stupid of AS to not honor earned elevate status in 2018.
Old Jun 13, 17, 2:25 pm

Programs: VX Gold, B6 Mosaic, AS MVPG75k, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Should be the same as this year. If you get elevate Silver you get MVP, if you get elevate Gold, you'd get MVP Gold. It would be very stupid of AS to not honor earned elevate status in 2018.
And, if it's like this year, if you get Gold and earn at least 75k elevate status points, you'll get MVP Gold 75k.
Old Jun 13, 17, 10:00 pm

Programs: DLSL, MVP75K, Le Club Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Originally Posted by shza View Post
And, if it's like this year, if you get Gold and earn at least 75k elevate status points, you'll get MVP Gold 75k.
+1

From everything I've seen (as well as managing my family's accounts) this is spot on. So far Alaska has been very liberal with the VX elites.
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
a hypothetical lower-end $800 F ticket DCA-DAL-LAX would give me somewhere around 3625 base points, converting to about 4712 miles with the bonus, versus a distance-plus-status 4240 miles;
Your math is wrong. You're getting 275% of flown distance DCA-DAL-LAX as AS RDM on that $800 VX F ticket, 175% as EQM:

100% RDM flown
100% MVPG bonus for RDM earning
75% class of service bonus (EQM and RDM)

So you should be getting about 6660 RDM for that $800 VX ticket and 4240 AS EQM.

The more expensive tickets... yeah, OK.

Search this Thread