Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the current state of the VX Experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on the current state of the VX Experience?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
My flight was 3.5 hours and they offered a travel bank credit of $75/each.
I received the same on a flight of a similar length.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Wow, this is getting so frustrating. I've started encountering on-line "hiccups" with what used to be routine Gold upgrade requests.

First, every call starts off with the agent robotically relaying a bunch of random, useless info (this time, it was all the details associated with my outbound journey)...

Then, the odyssey commences (why can't I get my usual free upgrade to Main Cabin Select?):
1) There is no Main Cabin Select seat available for free upgrade (wrong, I was able to see the availability online); then, after agent checking/banging keys...
2) You must pay $99 for the upgrade because that is what the system demands (yes, but I had just been told the upgrades at the 24 hour window were free); then...
3) Yes, sorry about that.... (okay, can I speak to a supervisor?)...

Hold, please... (lengthy wait)

Standby, still waiting for supervisor... (ok, more lengthy wait)

Finally, recitation of random facts about people changing seats, etc. followed by the news that the supervisor is going to "allow" me to have the upgrade.

15 minutes later after the start of the call, I'm off.

Alaska Airlines management is really dropping the ball on this stuff; they should be making a better effort to retain Virgin America's top tier frequently flyers (I notched over 100 flights with them in 2016, for example).

I'm not easily annoyed, but most of my phone interactions with a VX rep over the last few months have been similarly painful.

Fingers crossed that phone rep quality will be restored once Alaska Airlines completes the take over. For the time being, I get the sense that most of the decent reps have already seen the writing on the wall and have quit in advance of the call center being closed.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:33 am

My first trip on Virgin this past week. SFO-LAX-BOS-SFO.

I had to burn some Hawaiian miles so booked 2 F tickets for my son and I.

For some reason had this thought that Virgin was going to be head and shoulders above other domestic carriers. Crew was friendly and everything worked but the aircraft was pretty beat up.

The D1 experience via JFK or UA PS experience I found to be much more comfortable,

Oh well. First probably last time on them but when paying for a ticket it seems like Mint might be a much better solution for a non stop.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by sdix
My first trip on Virgin this past week. SFO-LAX-BOS-SFO.

I had to burn some Hawaiian miles so booked 2 F tickets for my son and I.

For some reason had this thought that Virgin was going to be head and shoulders above other domestic carriers. Crew was friendly and everything worked but the aircraft was pretty beat up.

The D1 experience via JFK or UA PS experience I found to be much more comfortable,

Oh well. First probably last time on them but when paying for a ticket it seems like Mint might be a much better solution for a non stop.
Mint is far and away the best domestic F seat and experience. No question. Especially rows 2 and 4.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Member

Flying PVR-SFO Saturday. Only four seats in first?
Old May 19, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by KatW
Flying PVR-SFO Saturday. Only four seats in first?
Kind of ironic that this thread was started because of my flight from PVR-SFO last month, but no, there's 8 seats in First and the front cabin is fully booked tomorrow.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
I only started flying VX in the last year, and am not as familiar with all of RED's functionality. What options have been disabled?
It's crazy to me that this is still broken - specifically "pairings", whatever the cocktails one is called, and "the good stuff minus the booze" are all still disabled.

Still having issues. The other day I went to check in and they'd moved my 5 year old son to a completely different seat 5 rows away from me on the plane. When I called I was told the seating was "under airport control", but yet the app let me move him, but tried to charge me a fee.

Also that's the second time they've randomly moved my kid into a completely different seat. Seriously?
Old May 20, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: DL GM
I had not flown Virgin America in a year or so but ORD to LAX was delayed an hour or so yesterday. The boarding process was a giant cluster, the image below shows everyone already blocking every possible path to board at preboard time.

Sat in an exit row but felt the flight provided nothing really special at all other than a TV, pretty lights (don't care for this anymore after quite a few VA flights), and prettier flight attendants. The 3 non-uniformed FA trainees were dazed and confused but understandable and at least they made us aware.

At least between LAX and ORD, AA has a better hard product now with A321S (newer AVOD and free movies) and occasional 787 on the route, and a better boarding process.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
By:idiosyncrasy - "The boarding process was a gaint cluster,"

Surprised to see this. I've always found VX better than my experiences with Delta, and I could never explain it. Maybe it's an ORD thing..?
Old May 22, 2017, 8:10 am

On a slightly separate note, I know the Dean & DeLuca snacks were supposed to be an "upgrade" but other than the fun addition of Swedish Fish, I think they were a massive downgrade from the previous snacks they used to carry up front. Much more variety and choice. Doesn't hold a candle to the current DL baskets, either.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL GM
Wanted to get my boarding pass at LAX. Stood in the priority line with my MVP Gold card in hand as I am in Main Cabin. In the most condescending way, the agent while not having finished helping someone else, takes my ID and status card and asks "What do you want me to do with this? Do you want to pay with this?". Then she doesn't bother asking me what I wanted or even ask if I wanted to check a bag. Handed me a boarding pass and walked off.

Seriously?

Edit: Lady with "emotional support animal" throwing food in the gate area to play catch with animal.

Edit 2: 75% of the IFE did not function on the plane and could not order food on the system. Waiting to disembark, the people in my row and behind engaged in a conversation about how fast Virgin America is going down the toilet and how they would prefer to fly United instead.

Last edited by idiosyncrasy; May 24, 2017 at 10:49 am
Old May 23, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Member

It's not easy to find checkin for Virgin America at PVR because it is not open except before flights. Hang out by Alaska checkin and VA eventually will open a couple of Checkin desks next door about 3 hours ahead of your flight.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:42 pm

Just had to endure my first on board sales pitch via the P.A. for some sort of affinity credit card. Pitch was excruciating long and loud... the last thing I wanted to deal with as I attempted to settle in for a long journey.

Is this a regular occurrence on Alaska Airlines flights?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Just had to endure my first on board sales pitch via the P.A. for some sort of affinity credit card. Pitch was excruciating long and loud... the last thing I wanted to deal with as I attempted to settle in for a long journey.

Is this a regular occurrence on Alaska Airlines flights?
In short, yes. They and other airlines have been doing it for some time now.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by FluxTZ
In short, yes. They and other airlines have been doing it for some time now.
Ugh... I've experienced that on some American carriers. Which ones engage in such a practice most often? Which ones don't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.