Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

So have you taken an Alaska (AS) flight yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So have you taken an Alaska (AS) flight yet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:58 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ptownca
Blame this on AS IT.

They still rely on some really ancient IT platforms. I can't name in a public forum what they are, but yes ancient. I'll just say google Burroughs mainframes.
Good to know. The only flight I credited to AS last year was a segment on AM and that was a sh+t show to say the least. AM several times denied they were even partners. Finally got the number added. AS never credited the flights. After multiple follow up e-mails with the documentation requested, they posted it twice.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Blame this on AS IT.

They still rely on some really ancient IT platforms. I can't name in a public forum what they are, but yes ancient. I'll just say google Burroughs mainframes.
I find VX systems are crap. Hopefully we can get the good sides at the end of the merger but i doubt it.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
I find VX systems are crap. Hopefully we can get the good sides at the end of the merger but i doubt it.
If you know the quirks of the VX systems, they are actually OK and I've never heard a VX elite complain about them. There are IT issues which come down to: Fix it at the airport. But at the airport, I've never had a bad result. Good karma ?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If you know the quirks of the VX systems, they are actually OK and I've never heard a VX elite complain about them. There are IT issues which come down to: Fix it at the airport. But at the airport, I've never had a bad result. Good karma ?
Guess I'll find out. I have a bunch of flights coming up next week. Not looking forward to the havoc if the California weather doesn't calm down.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How would AS be compared to VX for SFO/PDX in paid F? I know F is high for a 97-minute flight but I'll still have to pay for luggage and priority tsa queue at SFO if possible so may as well get a wider seat.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AS
AS F has the wider seats. They do not offer the comfort(recline) of VX F.
AS F has two free checked bags, lounge access and priority boarding.( also class of service miles bonus in AS mileage program)
Depending on equipment , converted 800's offer great legroom with3 rows , 900's have 4 rows currently ( much less legroom).
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by gaobest
How would AS be compared to VX for SFO/PDX in paid F? I know F is high for a 97-minute flight but I'll still have to pay for luggage and priority tsa queue at SFO if possible so may as well get a wider seat.
Essentially, align your expectations with flying United/Delta/AA, not with flying VX, in terms of the seat.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Lack of IFE is the future imo. Most passengers don't use it and netflix allows you to download your shows anyway, so might as well just remove the screen and put that budget towards something else.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Lack of IFE is the future imo. Most passengers don't use it and netflix allows you to download your shows anyway, so might as well just remove the screen and put that budget towards something else.
They should put part of the budget toward putting some kind of screen-fastener on the seat back so you can eat a meal and watch your screen at the same time. That, for me, is the main advantage to IFE -- freeing up tray/lap space.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:31 am

sorry this is one of my major pet peeves.

Having free satellite TV is one of the major bonuses of flying VX (or B6). Using the "library of movies and tv" simply can't match that. After a RT transcon trip, I'm pretty much done watching everything I want to watch on an airline's catalog. And this includes so called skytrax 5 star airlines like Emirates where I went through everything i want to watch on one return trip. Having free and fast internet helps, but clearly AS doesn't have that.

And this is on top of the fact that watching on my small iphone screen is really annoying vs the large seatback IFE. There is a reason every international airline tout how large their seatback screens are.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by shza
They should put part of the budget toward putting some kind of screen-fastener on the seat back so you can eat a meal and watch your screen at the same time. That, for me, is the main advantage to IFE -- freeing up tray/lap space.
On AS, you can flip the digeplayer upside down and it will hang perfectly from the seatback in Y. In F it takes a bit of work but it will hang nicely (until there's some moderate turbulence). A buddy of mine designed them, and said that it was intentional that way.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tphuang
sorry this is one of my major pet peeves.

Having free satellite TV is one of the major bonuses of flying VX (or B6). Using the "library of movies and tv" simply can't match that. After a RT transcon trip, I'm pretty much done watching everything I want to watch on an airline's catalog. And this includes so called skytrax 5 star airlines like Emirates where I went through everything i want to watch on one return trip. Having free and fast internet helps, but clearly AS doesn't have that.

And this is on top of the fact that watching on my small iphone screen is really annoying vs the large seatback IFE. There is a reason every international airline tout how large their seatback screens are.
Each to their own I guess. As a "millennial", I usually have something already in mind that I want to watch rather than just randomly browsing until I find something good. Not to mention, I can never guarantee a particular show will be available. Plus, my laptop has a larger screen and supports higher resolution than most of these IFE screens. I do concede that on a domestic business flight with recline seats, I wouldn't be able to watch anything during meal service though, though not really an issue for me.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
It seems that AS gave me (all of us VX people??) the Mvp gold 75K status when I joined AS. Is this for all 2017?
Does that mean that we get priority tsa (I don't yet have precheck), even when flying Y?
And the free bag for flying Y?
Just checking - I'm looking at a summer trip for SFO/PDX, and it's hard to justify paying F if Y allows the same airport privileges. It's only 2 hours so very hard to justify F.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:48 am

Each to their own I guess. As a "millennial", I usually have something already in mind that I want to watch rather than just randomly browsing until I find something good. Not to mention, I can never guarantee a particular show will be available. Plus, my laptop has a larger screen and supports higher resolution than most of these IFE screens. I do concede that on a domestic business flight with recline seats, I wouldn't be able to watch anything during meal service though, though not really an issue for me.
I would say that majority of the population are not sitting in the first class seat and it's pretty annoying to use up the tray space for laptop. The bigger issue is still the limitations of on-board entertainment catalog after 2 6 hour flights. I guess I'm not flying the non-VX AS aircraft for the foreseeable future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.