Elevate Gold status expiration?

Old Dec 19, 16, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Elevate Gold status expiration?

I have Elevate Gold this year 2016. Will not re-qualify for 2017.

Online my account says Renewal Date is 01/01/17.
My virtual card says the Gold status expiration is 01/17.

Will my status expire on January 1st? Or will it be later on January 31st?

The only reason I care/ask is for the linking of accounts on January 9, 2017 with a new Alaska account and the (possibility) of matching the current Elevate Gold with elite status on Alaska for 2017.

Thanks in advance if you know!
Old Dec 19, 16, 1:31 pm

Programs: Virgin America
I read somewhere that Alaska is going to match any status you had in 2016, for 2017. I don't see how they can do that, but it would be amazing.
Old Dec 19, 16, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
They've definitely said there will be a match but I am unclear if someone who did/does not re-qualify will, in effect, get an extra year of elite status due to the merger...
Old Dec 19, 16, 1:39 pm

Programs: Virgin America
Originally Posted by geo1005 View Post
They've definitely said there will be a match but I am unclear if someone who did/does not re-qualify will, in effect, get an extra year of elite status due to the merger...
That is the way I took it. I got silver status for 2016. I will not be anywhere close to silver in 2017. However, the way I read it, I will receive silver status for 2017.
Old Dec 19, 16, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Renewal date is indeed 1/1/17, but if you don't requalify you'll keep your 2016 Gold status until end of February before being downgraded. You should be good to match to Alaska before then.
Old Dec 19, 16, 1:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
To quote the email:
Once you activate your new account [Post-January 9th], your Elevate elite status will be automatically matched by Alaska Mileage Plan through 2017. In addition, your 2016 Elevate elite status will automatically be extended through 2017.

Here's my guess:
(1) AS was already offering this (their status match program was offering to match VX status through the end of next year off of 2016 status); and
(2) The merger cast a pall over a lot of our travel plans (due to various and sundry issues). I know I pulled at least two trips from VX as a result (WAS-SFO/LAX-SEA and DEN-SFO-WAS) and chucked the credit card. So I'm guessing that VX had an unusually high number of people dropping significantly in status as a result and AS wants to get those customers.
Old Dec 19, 16, 2:03 pm

Programs: DLSL, MVP75K, Le Club Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
To quote the email:
Once you activate your new account [Post-January 9th], your Elevate elite status will be automatically matched by Alaska Mileage Plan through 2017. In addition, your 2016 Elevate elite status will automatically be extended through 2017.

Here's my guess:
(1) AS was already offering this (their status match program was offering to match VX status through the end of next year off of 2016 status); and
(2) The merger cast a pall over a lot of our travel plans (due to various and sundry issues). I know I pulled at least two trips from VX as a result (WAS-SFO/LAX-SEA and DEN-SFO-WAS) and chucked the credit card. So I'm guessing that VX had an unusually high number of people dropping significantly in status as a result and AS wants to get those customers.
It would be nice for VX to make some comments like AS has to clarify some of these questions.
Old Dec 25, 16, 12:26 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
I checked my AS account and see that they have already matched my accounts and moved my MVP status to MVPGold because of my VX gold status. My question has to do with expiration. I am currently 2 segments from requalifying VX gold for 2016 because of a cancelled trip. Do I need to do a mini turnaround flight next week to hit gold so that I have status through 2017 or am I already set with status through 2017 (the latter is how I interpret the email from AS). Has anyone received any type of confirmation?
Old Dec 25, 16, 1:59 am

Programs: DLSL, MVP75K, Le Club Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by travelerp View Post
I checked my AS account and see that they have already matched my accounts and moved my MVP status to MVPGold because of my VX gold status. My question has to do with expiration. I am currently 2 segments from requalifying VX gold for 2016 because of a cancelled trip. Do I need to do a mini turnaround flight next week to hit gold so that I have status through 2017 or am I already set with status through 2017 (the latter is how I interpret the email from AS). Has anyone received any type of confirmation?
You should have an email from Virgin America granting you status through 2017. FWIW I posted this story here:

http://www.drd4sevenr.com/?p=4556#more-4556

Jimmy
Old Dec 26, 16, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
The email that virgin sent sounds pretty clear that 2016 status will be extended through 2017

The highest status you hold in either Elevate or Mileage Plan will be automatically matched by Alaska Mileage Plan through 2017 in your existing account. In addition, your 2016 Elevate elite status will automatically be extended through 2017.
Old Jan 2, 17, 11:03 am

Programs: AS, B6, HA, SPG, Hilton
When I log onto my account now the expiration date for my gold status is 1/1/18
Old Jan 2, 17, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rubbernyc View Post
When I log onto my account now the expiration date for my gold status is 1/1/18
Me too.

I have both Alaska Airlines and VX account, but how will AS know how to match those accounts? I just checked right now and my AS still shows me as a regular MileagePlan member.
Old Jan 2, 17, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by chenalex View Post
Me too.

I have both Alaska Airlines and VX account, but how will AS know how to match those accounts? I just checked right now and my AS still shows me as a regular MileagePlan member.
They will convert on the 9th.

Upon activating their new Mileage Plan account, Elevate members will be able to convert Elevate points into Mileage Plan miles at a rate of 1.3 Mileage Plan miles per Elevate point, which can be used to access award travel on Alaska and Alaska Global Partners.
Now, my problem with this is that I still don't know what they're talking about. Elevate now has "Reward Points" and "Status Credits". It sounds like Reward Points will convert at 1.3x, but that's not clear to me. As far as the status match, will it also be a conversion factor between Status Credits and Alaska's miles?

Also, FWIW, my Gold status expires 06/30/18 now. I requal'd so, I guess I've got an additional 6mo extension. That's reward points. 1/18 for status.

Last edited by abeille; Jan 2, 17 at 5:18 pm
Old Jan 2, 17, 7:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN; Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by chenalex View Post
Me too.

Interesting. I was one of those who got auto-matched back in December. I got an email from Alaska, telling me that they linked up my accounts, and I was immediately upgraded to Alaska MVP Gold.
Old Jan 3, 17, 5:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by solewalker View Post
Interesting. I was one of those who got auto-matched back in December. I got an email from Alaska, telling me that they linked up my accounts, and I was immediately upgraded to Alaska MVP Gold.
they matched me to MVP but seem to have connected my accounts as I am now MVP Gold (Elevate Gold)

Search this Thread