Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP VX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Sure, but it's a safe bet this will go through. No shareholder, large or small, will vote against $57 per share, unless they assume Oil prices will remain below $40 indefinitely.

Unlikely to Regulatory resistance, since the DOJ had no issues with other larger Airline mergers.
I have little doubt that it will go through. Just letting the OP know that it's still business as usual and the points should be deposited.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K / AA EXP / VX Gold / WOH Globalist / SPG Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Phamer55
I did not get my points for March (my wife did on her account strangely enough)
I also didn't receive points from my Virgin CC in March as well. The last points that were received were in late Feb.

So let's ask some questions here:

- Is there any point trying to qualify for Gold in 2017? (hold your laughter please) I've already qualified for Silver status, but what possibilities will AS have for converting us to MVP Gold (75)? In fact, what could happen to those with Elevate Status?

- What should Virgin CC holders do as our annual fees approach? Is there any point to keeping the card? There are a couple of nice benefits that come with the card.

- Are there any worthwhile benefits for the AS CC in case our Virgin CC is converted over? Or would it be better to bail on the Virgin CC prior?

@VXCabinCrew
- There are a number of us who truly ENJOY flying with VX and are heartbroken by this merger. You and the rest of your team make flying enjoyable, while the rest of the industry seems to turn its back on its customers. I will continue to fly VX because of your unique offerings and service, and I wish you well.

Last edited by StirredNotShaken; Apr 4, 2016 at 11:40 am Reason: I really should proofread more...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by StirredNotShaken
- Is there any point trying to qualify for Gold in 2017? (hold your laughter please) I've already qualified for Silver status, but what possibilities will AS have for converting us to MVP Gold (75)? In fact, what could happen to those with Elevate Status?
I can see them matching Gold to Gold. I honestly don't think that there are that many people in the elite tiers compared to AS (but what do I know). I'll miss having status benefits on VA and VS though (which I highly doubt will survive assuming the relationship survives).

- What should Virgin CC holders do as our annual fees approach? Is there any point to keeping the card? There are a couple of nice benefits that come with the card.
- Are there any worthwhile benefits for the AS CC in case our Virgin CC is converted over? Or would it be better to bail on the Virgin CC prior?
It sounds like (atleast at this point) that it will be converted to an AS CC. I would wait for more details but if it's just a simple conversion, then it might be best to cancel and reapply for an AS CC (+ bonus).

@VXCabinCrew
- There are a number of us who truly ENJOY flying with VX and are heartbroken by this merger. You and the rest of your team make flying enjoyable, while the rest of the industry seems to turn its back on its customers. I will continue to fly VX because of your unique offerings and service, and I wish you well.
+1
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Virgin America
So... What is going to actually happen with the merger?

Will Virgin keep all their cool planes and routes? Will they just get rebranded? Will Alaska cancel any routes Virgin is currently running?
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by vxflyer
Alaska airlines is crap. You should have quit VX an applied to work for Alaska years ago. Nothing great will be created from this. Alaska is a ......, corporate airline, the kind Branson wanted to be different from. Alaska will not innovate. They will overcharge and deliver less. This is in no way, shape, or form good for travellers or for the U.S. airline industry, which has an abysmal reputation as it is.
Agreed.

AS is fine for their Elites, but offer abysmal value for non-Elites. Their fares are expensive and the majority of F are filled by free upgrades.
You guys are irrational. Overcharging is the reason I rarely flew VX.

Glad to hear VX crew is looking forward to the merger. The culture at AS is a very good one, and I think most of you will be happy.

@VXCabinCrew

Thanks for the kind words. We are all saddened that what we have worked so hard to create is ending. I won't speak ill of my new employer, but we all know things won't be the same. I love flying, so I'm just thankful that I will still get to be on a plane everyday. There will definitely be a big emptiness in the industry without VX. Hope to see you onboard over the next year or so !
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
If VX had to be sold I think B6 would have been a better fit due to the fact that AS is all Boeing.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Glad to hear VX crew is looking forward to the merger. The culture at AS is a very good one, and I think most of you will be happy.

[Unduly personalized text edited by Moderator.] Alsaka is a stale corporate airline. I know. I have a family member who works for them - inflight.

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
Thanks for the kind words. We are all saddened that what we have worked so hard to create is ending. I won't speak ill of my new employer, but we all know things won't be the same. I love flying, so I'm just thankful that I will still get to be on a plane everyday. There will definitely be a big emptiness in the industry without VX. Hope to see you onboard over the next year or so !
Anyone who was a loyal VX customer isn't likely to be flying Alaska.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 4, 2016 at 12:39 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Really? Generally, I've always found AS to be more expensive than the equivalent fare on the other Legacy carriers.

On paid F, I prefer VX, even if it's more, because of the integrity of their F class. Unlike other carriers, they don't give away 90% of F as upgrades to their Elites. Why would I pay for F when 90% get it for free? I get it. It's great if you're an Elite, but I'm not.

If I'm going to fly coach, what's really the difference between AS and UA, AA, or DL? Coach is coach, regardless. Mind as well pay the lowest fare, since it's all homogeneous, as far as I'm concerned.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:01 pm

how are people so sure that the US government will not object to the purchase?

it seems to me that the purchase will significantly decrease competition in the west, no?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
If VX had to be sold I think B6 would have been a better fit due to the fact that AS is all Boeing.
Having both, an airlines can threaten Boeing and Airbus to buy the other company's jets if the price is too high. If a company only had 100 planes, I think 50 and 50 is not worthwhile. If a company has 150 of one and 50 of the other, that is not a bad idea.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:05 pm
Suspended

AS should've been shut down after the crash of Alaska 261. This is a cowardly move by AS after all the whining/BS they put up over Delta adding more flights/routes out of SEA.

VX, while not perfect, was a completely different airline providing a unique experience. Unfortunately, "Blah Airlines" has won.

VX also has some very low fares, while AS's Y fares are sometimes upward of AA/DL/UA's F fares.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Really? Generally, I've always found AS to be more expensive than the equivalent fare on the other Legacy carriers.

On paid F, I prefer VX, even if it's more, because of the integrity of their F class. Unlike other carriers, they don't give away 90% of F as upgrades to their Elites. Why would I pay for F when 90% get it for free? I get it. It's great if you're an Elite, but I'm not.

If I'm going to fly coach, what's really the difference between AS and UA, AA, or DL? Coach is coach, regardless. Mind as well pay the lowest fare, since it's all homogeneous, as far as I'm concerned.
I haven't found AS fares to be higher. For the last 4-5 trips, I found them to be lower or competitive.

I no longer think of it as coach. It is economy class, ha ha. There are small differences. For example, some 737's have IFE. I usually bring my own work but sometimes look at IFE for half an hour. I do like the maps on most IFE.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by airplanegod
AS should've been shut down after the crash of Alaska 261. This is a cowardly move by AS after all the whining/BS they put up over Delta adding more flights/routes out of SEA.

VX, while not perfect, was a completely different airline providing a unique experience. Unfortunately, "Blah Airlines" has won.

VX also has some very low fares, while AS's Y fares are sometimes upward of AA/DL/UA's F fares.
Yes one of the reasons I hate Alaska Airlines was the crash of Alaska 261. The airline should have been found criminally responsible for the deaths of 88 people.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dean1
I haven't found AS fares to be higher. For the last 4-5 trips, I found them to be lower or competitive.

I no longer think of it as coach. It is economy class, ha ha. There are small differences. For example, some 737's have IFE. I usually bring my own work but sometimes look at IFE for half an hour. I do like the maps on most IFE.
Flying out of SFO, this has certainly not been my experience. While I had been willing to pay more for VX, I certainly wouldn't for AS, or any of the Legacy carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.