Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VX for sale?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by edcho
If Sir Richard Branson doesn't want to sell VX, but he can't do anything about it, then what's the driving force for VX to sell to Alaska (if not for poor financial performance)???
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
If Sir Richard Branson doesn't want to sell VX, but he can't do anything about it, then what's the driving force for VX to sell to Alaska (if not for poor financial performance)???
umm, the investors want a return? What other reason is there?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by SFGuy37
umm, the investors want a return? What other reason is there?
Exactly. The price that AS is paying for VX is extraordinarily high - much higher than most analysts were predicting. The reason is that there was a bidding war between AS and B9 for VX. VX was a strategic asset for both of them and they both wanted to buy it badly. They both kept bidding higher and higher until the price simply ceased to make sense for B9, at which point AS won the deal. The effect of that auction process was to produce a fantastic price for all VX shareholders, including Branson. They should all be ecstatic - they built an asset (VX) that had immense strategic value to two competing bidders and they reaped the benefit.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
...what's the driving force for VX to sell to Alaska?
For VX investors, who have been patient for ten years and endured not only endless losses but erratic, inscrutable, costly route experiments, this is a golden moment.

The airline is finally making short-term money and accrued some value. We're between recessions, and there's an appetite for consolidating the B-tier domestic carriers, and there were two flush suitors calling. You bet they want out now.

Two years from now there might be any number of pull-the-plug scenarios for a stand-alone VX, from an AS-B6 merger to another oil shock, and investors would be left high and dry. Absolutely, they want to monetize before sundown.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
For VX investors, who have been patient for ten years and endured not only endless losses but erratic, inscrutable, costly route experiments, this is a golden moment.

The airline is finally making short-term money and accrued some value. We're between recessions, and there's an appetite for consolidating the B-tier domestic carriers, and there were two flush suitors calling. You bet they want out now.

Two years from now there might be any number of pull-the-plug scenarios for a stand-alone VX, from an AS-B6 merger to another oil shock, and investors would be left high and dry. Absolutely, they want to monetize before sundown.
+1... and they hit the jackpot.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
That is a crazy price. My mind is blown and can't believe even B6 had bid that high. Maybe they want to move the SEA and buying would be cheaper?

When do you think we would hear from the feds? I wonder what the unions are thinking too.
Their will be no issues with the Feds. Combining the airline does not create any hubs where they dominate more, and does not remove any routes where they are the only competitors. The only overlap that I can think of is SEA-SFO and VX's presense is small, and it is also served by WN, DL, and UA, its a very competitive route, and VX has not been the low price leader (its usually UA), and SEA-LAX, and that is served by WN, AA, DL (and if you can call it "service") UA, again, VX is not the price leader usually. The Feds will see this as providing better competition to the big four.

As to the price, I don't know if VX+AS will eventually merge with B6, but if so the winner of this "auction" will be the surviving entity of that merger. That was probably worth AS's management going all in.

Looks like they are not keeping anything VX-wise minus the planes and routes.

The only positive thing is that I don't see any changes until 2017.
Only thing I can see from their joint web-site is that the name will be Alaska (big surprise there ), the suriving program will be MileagePlan (which is better than Elevate by a lot, no surprise there), and a statement about VX's superior service that "We recognize the strong loyalty Virgin America’s customers have to the brand, and we will explore how best to leverage that as we pursue integration."

The folks that run Alaska are not stupid, and they have never had a LLC mindset. When facing markets that it was needed to deployed better food, wider meal windows (for example you get food in F on SFO-SEA on AS and VX, not on UA), and to make up for the lack of IFE hand out video players in F and rent them in Y. They are a short haul airline that has been trying to adjust product wide as they added more long flights.

I expect them to preserve as much of the VX cool as they can, and my guess is that they do a form of what b6 (and European airlines) are doing, have short haul product and longer haul product.

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
That's not entirely true; while the Alaska Airlines name and brand will remain, the AAG executives plan on spending considerable time learning more about the VX brand and determining what elements of it might be carried forward.
What I expect to happen as well. AS will not want to lose the passengers now paying good money on VX to OAL by cutting the experience/product. AS management is well aware of what happened to UA when it destroyed its hard and soft product (it picked up lots of those passengers ex-SEA and PDX) and it will not want to repeat the mistake, particularly with DL improving its in flight product.

Originally Posted by SFGuy37
I expect a bit of a run on the Elevate bank over the coming months, before AS announce how Elevate points will convert MileagePlan miles. There's still some sweet spots in the Elevate international partner airlines award chart, including Emirates that we was recently devalued by AS.
I don't see anything by 1:1, otherwise people will be pissed off, and these things matter. People see points=miles, and AS will not mess with that. AS is a good program, better than Elevate IMHO, I actually think my bank of VX "miles" that I have been saving for 4 tickets to HKG on SQ in J, will be very usable on AS if I don't pull the trigger by then.

My question is how they combine the MM programs (which AS has), and it makes me wonder if VX keeps the miles people flew, or AS will just have to use status points in place of miles.

Originally Posted by lhl12
Exactly. The price that AS is paying for VX is extraordinarily high - much higher than most analysts were predicting. The reason is that there was a bidding war between AS and B9 for VX. VX was a strategic asset for both of them and they both wanted to buy it badly. They both kept bidding higher and higher until the price simply ceased to make sense for B9, at which point AS won the deal. The effect of that auction process was to produce a fantastic price for all VX shareholders, including Branson. They should all be ecstatic - they built an asset (VX) that had immense strategic value to two competing bidders and they reaped the benefit.
In full disclosure I am a not insubstantial VA shareholder, very happy today. Both AS and B6 knew the winner of this "auction" would be in a strong position to survive, and eventually take over the other, so they had an incentive to go as far as they could. But AS just had more financial firepower...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles
For starters, there is nothing cool about the name Alaska. They should chuck that and the Eskimo.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by vxflyer
For starters, there is nothing cool about the name Alaska. They should chuck that and the Eskimo.
I don't know, color him red and call him the Virgin Eskimo.....
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I don't know, color him red and call him the Virgin Eskimo.....
Excellent call, give him the branson beard. Would it not be better to have Alaska brand for regional and the 737 cargo operations.

How well does Alaska work in transcon markets that are not SEA especially for premium travel. If anything Alaska has to do something about Mint and all the premium cabin legacy improvements. Otherwise they will loose whatever cachet Virgin has built.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by flyingcat
Excellent call, give him the branson beard. Would it not be better to have Alaska brand for regional and the 737 cargo operations.

How well does Alaska work in transcon markets that are not SEA especially for premium travel. If anything Alaska has to do something about Mint and all the premium cabin legacy improvements. Otherwise they will loose whatever cachet Virgin has built.
Makes me wonder wonder how much VX pays for the Virgin license. I would think Branson would try to make an enticing offer if AS was even interested.

In regards to transcon, now that they will be a solid #5, they could introduce something that competes with B6's mint. Wishful thinking I know...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:42 am

I found the following quote quite comical

"Our employees have worked hard to earn the deep loyalty of customers in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, while the Virgin America team has done the same in California," Tilden said in a statement.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...404-story.html

Not hard to do if you are the only game in town, in Alaska...

It's like Comcast in a monopolized zone and claiming that they are the #1 in cable service
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
...then DL teases/agitates AS while it goes through the throes, and downrange, gobbles it up in one swell foop.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:33 pm

How much $$$$$ does Alaska have to pay VX if the purchase doesn't receive regulatory approval from the U.S. government?

BTW, did anyone catch what former governor Sarah Palin have to say about Alaska's purchase of Virgin America?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by radiowell
I found the following quote quite comical

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...404-story.html

It's like Comcast in a monopolized zone and claiming that they are the #1 in cable service
I don't think it's particularly comical at all. AS has treated its passenger in Alaska rather well, which is why they were loyal to AS even when DL tried to expand its Alaskan network. AS continues to have stronger yields on its Alaska routes.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by radiowell
l]

Hardly the only game in town in SEA/PDX though, which are nothing near fortress hubs and never have been. UA had a lot of service out of SEA in the 1970's, AS was an afterthought and worked for their market share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.