Search

Virgin America Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:13 pm
RPB
Original Poster

Virgin America Credit Card

Hi Frequent Flyers,

I have the Virgin America Visa Signature for the key benefit of not having to pay change fees. However, this only works on the original flight that was booked (and not flights booked with points). Therefore, once I cancel/change the flight the funds go into a travel bank and when I rebook using those funds I can't get the same no change fee perk.

If Virgin changed this (I think it's simply a technological issue) I would keep the card..but otherwise it's not really worth it. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread moved to Virgin America forum because it pertains to an airline policy. Related discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...ital-bank.html
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
When I first applied for the Virgin America Premium Visa Signature Card, one of the first things I did upon receiving it was to get clarification on their cancel/change policy. Thus, I was never surprised or caught off guard. If I had ever been caught off-guard, I probably would have been very disappointed. But if you know the policy from the get-go, there is nothing to be disappointed about due to last-minute surprises. As RPB stated, in effect, it's a one-time free cancel/change policy. Then, after the funds go to your travel bank, the free cancel/change policy is lost for any subsequent purchase with those funds.

I think it would be wonderful if VX would allow Virgin America cardholders the ability to get free cancel/change privileges on funds in the travel bank. In fact, that would be my most desired change to their current policies. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be happening any time soon. I don't think it's a technological issue; VX could easily allow this change if they wanted to. I believe it's a deliberate choice on their part because such a policy would simply be more valuable than they are willing to offer.

That being said, considering how much I fly on Virgin America, I am quite happy with the other benefits associated with the card.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Finagler
When I first applied for the Virgin America Premium Visa Signature Card, one of the first things I did upon receiving it was to get clarification on their cancel/change policy. Thus, I was never surprised or caught off guard. If I had ever been caught off-guard, I probably would have been very disappointed. But if you know the policy from the get-go, there is nothing to be disappointed about due to last-minute surprises. As RPB stated, in effect, it's a one-time free cancel/change policy. Then, after the funds go to your travel bank, the free cancel/change policy is lost for any subsequent purchase with those funds.

I think it would be wonderful if VX would allow Virgin America cardholders the ability to get free cancel/change privileges on funds in the travel bank. In fact, that would be my most desired change to their current policies. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be happening any time soon. I don't think it's a technological issue; VX could easily allow this change if they wanted to. I believe it's a deliberate choice on their part because such a policy would simply be more valuable than they are willing to offer.

That being said, considering how much I fly on Virgin America, I am quite happy with the other benefits associated with the card.
I have called the Gold line and had them waive the change fee when I've paid out of the travel bank (I also have the CC). Worth a try if you have Elevate status.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
It says in the T&C that you can cancel on the Virgin America website and then get the fee reimbursed as a statement credit. Anyone done this? I've only ever canceled by phone before but this time the fee would be more than the ticket price so I'm thinking I can just get it reimbursed?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Silver
I'm actually able to cancel on the website and the fee is never even charged for me. The system seems to know that I purchased the ticket with the credit card and then when I go to the cancel screen, it shows the full amount to be credited without any fees. I'm guessing this only occurs with newly booked trip since they implemented this, but for most of my flights now, I'm able to change/cancel without any fees on the website. No calling or statement credits needed.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by jkvxflyer
I'm actually able to cancel on the website and the fee is never even charged for me. The system seems to know that I purchased the ticket with the credit card and then when I go to the cancel screen, it shows the full amount to be credited without any fees. I'm guessing this only occurs with newly booked trip since they implemented this, but for most of my flights now, I'm able to change/cancel without any fees on the website. No calling or statement credits needed.
Same. I probably canceled at least 5 flights on the website last year and was never charged.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:59 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Any idea if the double signup bonuses they offered last May might be offered again this year? They were 20K for the regular card and 30K for the premium card.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, United Silver, National Exec
Just adding a data point. 2017.05.20. Canceling flights paid for in whole or in part with travel bank funds still requires (1) phoning in; (2) paying a cancellation/change fee.

As an aside, is there a downgrade / product change available for Comenity cards?
Old May 20, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by road2elysium
Just adding a data point. 2017.05.20. Canceling flights paid for in whole or in part with travel bank funds still requires (1) phoning in; (2) paying a cancellation/change fee.

As an aside, is there a downgrade / product change available for Comenity cards?
Comenity only does cards for Victoria Secret and a few other brands. Virgin went with the cheap option and thus there is nothing to downgrade to when you are already on the bottom rung of the credit card company ladder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.