Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

VX adding (switching?) Wi-Fi provider in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA G

http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...-for-internet/

It looks like they're switching to the ViaSat Ka/Ku product, similar to what United has on its 737 fleet. It doesn't appear to be operated by GoGo, so I'm not sure what's going to happen to my monthly unlimited subscription.

On the upside, the article says it's going to be free until sometime in 2016.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'm sure if the new product performs better, most people won't miss the other when it WentWent.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
It is a new partnership with ViaSat which uses a satellite based solution over over-ground transmission. The new system will be installed through the next wave of plane delivery starting in September 2015.

http://www.experiencetheskies.com/vi...ivity-options/
https://www.viasat.com/broadband-sat...tellite-system
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
From what I read, VX wanted a satellite option (not sure if its the speed they want, the overwater ability, or both) and GoGo has one in development that isn't ready. So for now they will have different options on different planes.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA G
Doesn't GoGo have a satellite-based product for Japan Airlines?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by unavaca
Doesn't GoGo have a satellite-based product for Japan Airlines?
Yes, but it is Ku-only while the new one is a combination Ku/Ka so it offers faster service over CONUS.

Also, the first Virgin America aircraft with the ViaSat kit - N281VA - is now flying and the service is active.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:59 pm

Does this mean the sfo-hawaii flights will have wifi? I plan to fly hnl-sfo-hnl frequently and that would be a big bonus for me on these daytime flights.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pesos
Does this mean the sfo-hawaii flights will have wifi? I plan to fly hnl-sfo-hnl frequently and that would be a big bonus for me on these daytime flights.
That's the plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.