Search

Drink policies/practices in F?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold
Drink policies/practices in F?

Are there policies or practices used by VX regarding serving alcoholic drinks in F? I was recently flying and was told by the Inflight Team Member that they can only serve a certain number of drinks per hour (like 1 or something). This annoyed me because they advertise free and unlimited drinks in F. I wasn't drunk or anything either, I was perhaps asking for my 4th drink.

Is this true, or was it just a bad day for her or me? If its true, what's the rule?

Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of this?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Strange. On my FC flights I have always had to ask the FAs to STOP pouring me drinks. Hah. It was always as soon as I finish the glass would magically be filled up again.

I wonder if they have leeway in what they tell passengers depending on how much alcohol they have left or how much they think the passenger has had to drink.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic
I'm with SoCalZman...usually the drinks (well, at least wine) are such that they are refilling before I'm even done.

I think you just got cut off. Right or wrong, I can't think of any other explanation for it.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold
Haha, sounds like it. Normally my experiences are as y'all describe above.

Meh, whatever it was only a two hour flight.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Next time dont try to do cart wheels down the isle while asking for the drink.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
I assume you were on a flight from LAX or SFO to LAS or SEA? Depends what you are drinking. I find they are more pour happy with wine then with hard stuff.

Also the general rule for all airlines is one drink an hour, but they can always use judgement about when to cut you off. Also I think the marketing says 'complimentary' drinks, not 'unlimited'.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I doubt there are any firm internal rules on this -- it's probably a judgment call on the part of the FAs.

BTW, yesterday I dropped off my daughter at SFO for an unaccompanied minor flight to LAX (seeing her grandparents). There was a loud, obviously drunk group of friends getting aboard. I overheard one gate agent say to the other that she was going to tell the crew about this group's drunkenness. My guess is the FA's served them one drink each, or none.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
A UA flight attendant once told me the "rule" is one double drink per hour, or one drink per 30 minutes.

I have never seen anything really enforced. I know this is regarding UA, but I'm just offering it as a comparison. I have often in F been served quite a few drinks in UA with no questions asked.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
A UA flight attendant once told me the "rule" is one double drink per hour, or one drink per 30 minutes.

I have never seen anything really enforced. I know this is regarding UA, but I'm just offering it as a comparison. I have often in F been served quite a few drinks in UA with no questions asked.
I think the real rule is for FAs to size up the condition of the passenger, and to confer with other FAs when concerned. It doesn't take long on the job for an FA to have served a lot of drinks to a lot of passengers. They surely become skilled at slowing down passengers in need of slowing. Of course passengers get drunk, but the FAs' real worry is drunk and problematic for the crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.