Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Seating Strategy When No Seats to Pre-Assign

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Other half is flying VX from SEA to LAX and there was no 'free' seat to assign, so their seating assignment remains empty. I understand we can force their hand with IDB cash if a seat is not available due to overbooking, but I'd rather determine the proper strategy because they will not pay a fee to reserve a premium seat in advance.

They will pay an upgrade fee to move to F (although I suspect fee-based upgrades for non-Elevate members are pretty much impossible), but will not pay a fee for a coach seat.

Will VX assign a seat at the airport for free even if the only remaining seats are MCE or MCS or try and coerce payment in order to get a seat assignment?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
VX doesn't overbook, so you won't be "forcing their hand."

You might wanna look at how their F upgrades work, it's fee based for everyone, even elites.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
24 hours prior to departure, Main Cabin Express seats become free, so she'll likely get placed in to one of those. She/you can also log on and pick one on the seat map at the 24-hour map, too.

Main Cabin Select won't be assigned for free to non-elites, but you can upgrade (For $39, I think) at the 24 hour mark. Chances of scoring that upgrade are very high. You can also upgrade to F at the 6 hour mark (Coach-->F is $89; MCS-->F is $50). For the LAX/SEA route, you have a decent (maybe 50%) shot at getting a fee-based F upgrade.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp
VX doesn't overbook, so you won't be "forcing their hand."

You might wanna look at how their F upgrades work, it's fee based for everyone, even elites.
They actually did start overbooking this year, main cabin only, and only on certain flights.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by cringle
They actually did start overbooking this year, main cabin only, and only on certain flights.

I believe hes right. Elites get bumped to first class. Happened to me once. Was very nice!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks all - just so I'm clear, they can assign a free MCE seat at online check-in, 24hr before departure, but cannot purchase an upgrade to first class until 6 hours before departure? Thus they run the risk of getting a sure-fire MCE seat and lose the chance at an upgrade vs waiting until 6h before and possibly getting a crap Y seat and no upgrade.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Thanks all - just so I'm clear, they can assign a free MCE seat at online check-in, 24hr before departure, but cannot purchase an upgrade to first class until 6 hours before departure? Thus they run the risk of getting a sure-fire MCE seat and lose the chance at an upgrade vs waiting until 6h before and possibly getting a crap Y seat and no upgrade.
At 24 hours, try to upgrade to MCS. If that is unavailable, keep checking the seat map. Someone in MC might have beat you to the upgrade; their MC seat might then be open. Same idea at 6 hours -- try to upgrade to F or MCS. Some more shuffling might occur right after the 6 hour mark and seats might open up.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
At 24 hours, try to upgrade to MCS. If that is unavailable, keep checking the seat map. Someone in MC might have beat you to the upgrade; their MC seat might then be open. Same idea at 6 hours -- try to upgrade to F or MCS. Some more shuffling might occur right after the 6 hour mark and seats might open up.
thank you - so just check the seat map, then abandon OLCI if we don't see what we want? or can we re-run OLCI and upgrade later?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by SoCalZman
I believe hes right. Elites get bumped to first class. Happened to me once. Was very nice!
This only happens when there are VX non inflight-teammates trying to get on the flight and all attempts to sell that First Class seat have failed.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by bocastephen
thank you - so just check the seat map, then abandon OLCI if we don't see what we want? or can we re-run OLCI and upgrade later?
In my experience on VX, it's best not to check in if you're trying to upgrade. The sad irony of this otherwise fantastic, hip airline is that its IT systems have been awful. Maybe my advice on this is stale; someone with more recent VX upgrade experience might give you better advice.

ETA: I've lost track of whether you need to start the OLCI process to upgrade. If that's the case, then start the process but don't complete it if no upgrade is available. Again, someone with more recent experience might correct me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.