Wiki Posts
Search

is main cabin select worth paying for

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

is main cabin select worth paying for

Hi,
Trying to decide whether to fly Jetblue, United or VA for a week trip from BOS to LAX. Never flew VA and wondering if their MC select is better than Unted's economy plus or Jetblue.
I could use miles to upgrade to first class on United but FC on United's domestic flights is hardly worth it.
Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:38 pm

I have never flown UA's Economy Plus. I would assume the experience may vary depending on the aircraft used ala if its ex CO or one of UA's old 757s. I can say that VX MCS is better than Jetblues Even More Space because you dont get any free food or movies with Jetblue in their EMS section. You still get the extra legroom however on both but with movies and on demand ordering from your seat VX MCS is the clear winner. Having said that VX MCS also cost more than Jetblue's Even More Space section going for 159.00 USD 24 hours prior to departure upgrade.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: United MP, Virgin America Elevate, JetBlue TrueBlue
Totally different products, priced accordingly, between the three so depends on what you are looking for. Both JB EMS and UA's e+ are just extra legroom seats with earlier boarding (EMS also comes with priority security)--no other perks. VX's MCS seats have more legroom, earlier boarding and priority security, but also come with unlimited meals/snacks/drinks/entertainment and a free bag. With the quality of food and entertainment options on VX, this is a pretty big perk, but it's also priced much higher than the other two. Overall, I find VX a much more pleasant experience than either UA or JB regardless of cabin.

JB's EMS seats are, imo, the most comfortable and spacious, but their entertainment system is fairly poor (satellite tv and awful movies) and food options are just meh. UA's e+ is a seat with only slightly more legroom and slightly more recline (sometimes) than the regular seats. Food and entertainment options vary in quality and availability but generally not great on domestic UA. I find VX MCS seats more comfortable and roomier than UA e+ seats--I think 38" pitch w VX vs roughly 34" w UA.

Also, VA is Virgin Australia--definitely not an option for BOS-LAX--just so you know!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is much better than either B6 or UA. On UA, you get more legroom, and the same pathetic service and inflight product, which means "not much," and on that route, probably a "choice" of one movie on the overhead screen, and nothing to plug your own device into.

VX MCS gives you touchscreen ordering, all complimentary (save one premium wine and the beef jerky), and a wide array of IFE, all included. You also have a chance at a much better crew on VX, but YMMV.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: UA G
I haven't tried MCS yet. Would you guys consider the MCS food better than what UA serves in non-p.s. domestic F? If so, the MCS buyup is usually cheaper than the UA F buyup.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/infl...d?int=wob_food
http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/infl...od_travellight
http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/infl...ob_food_snacks

Originally Posted by unavaca
I haven't tried MCS yet. Would you guys consider the MCS food better than what UA serves in non-p.s. domestic F? If so, the MCS buyup is usually cheaper than the UA F buyup.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:08 pm

Thanks. Even served cold, I think there are quite a few items here that would beat the UA F calzone.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
VX MCS gives you touchscreen ordering, all complimentary (save one premium wine and the beef jerky), and a wide array of IFE, all included.
I wonder what sort of corporate deliberations went into that.

Okay, we'll let MCS passengers order whatever they like, on the house. But not the really high-end wine. And for God's sake, not the beef jerky -- that would be madness!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
I wonder what sort of corporate deliberations went into that.

Okay, we'll let MCS passengers order whatever they like, on the house. But not the really high-end wine. And for God's sake, not the beef jerky -- that would be madness!
When I first became Silver status and was being upgraded everything was free, including the nice wine and beef jerky. I did order beef jerky. I see the same stuff in the store and its not cheap so I am not surprised they started charging for it.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I am now hell-bent on ordering the premium wine and beef jerky next time I get the 6-hour F upgrade. In fact, I'm going to go hog wild.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
I am now hell-bent on ordering the premium wine and beef jerky next time I get the 6-hour F upgrade. In fact, I'm going to go hog wild.
If you pay for a FC ticket you should be able to gorge yourself on wine and jerky if you want. Watch your blood pressure, etc though! All that salt and booze wont be good for you. haha.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not surprising for someone who has elite status at the Piggly Wiggly!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not surprising for someone who has elite status at the Piggly Wiggly!
In the age of airline devaluations, it's the only status worth its weight in bacon.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unavaca
In the age of airline devaluations, it's the only status worth its weight in bacon.
My status purveyor also sells bacon!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ag99251
Totally different products, priced accordingly, between the three so depends on what you are looking for. Both JB EMS and UA's e+ are just extra legroom seats with earlier boarding (EMS also comes with priority security)--no other perks. VX's MCS seats have more legroom, earlier boarding and priority security, but also come with unlimited meals/snacks/drinks/entertainment and a free bag. With the quality of food and entertainment options on VX, this is a pretty big perk, but it's also priced much higher than the other two. Overall, I find VX a much more pleasant experience than either UA or JB regardless of cabin.

JB's EMS seats are, imo, the most comfortable and spacious, but their entertainment system is fairly poor (satellite tv and awful movies) and food options are just meh. UA's e+ is a seat with only slightly more legroom and slightly more recline (sometimes) than the regular seats. Food and entertainment options vary in quality and availability but generally not great on domestic UA. I find VX MCS seats more comfortable and roomier than UA e+ seats--I think 38" pitch w VX vs roughly 34" w UA.

Also, VA is Virgin Australia--definitely not an option for BOS-LAX--just so you know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.