Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anchorage, AK (ANC)?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Anchorage, AK (ANC)?

Anchorage is also showing up in the VX city search finder. Starting 6/6/13 from SFO and
on 6/7/13 from ANC. Intro fares showing as $199 o/w ^.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
It's official!!!

http://www.virginamerica.com/press-r...anchorage.html

VX will have 6x weekly service SFO-ANC for the summer seasonal and SFO-AUS will becomes daily.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I like these adds a lot more than SJC-LAX... though I wonder; since they stopped adding to the fleet to conserve cash, where's all the planes for all this new service coming from? Cutbacks elsewhere in the schedule? Better utilization? Other destinations being dropped?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
ANC is probably an improvement in a/c utilization. A/C leaves SFO at 8pm and returns at 630am.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I like these adds a lot more than SJC-LAX... though I wonder; since they stopped adding to the fleet to conserve cash, where's all the planes for all this new service coming from? Cutbacks elsewhere in the schedule? Better utilization? Other destinations being dropped?
I was of the impression that they had reduced the delivery rate of new aircraft but didn't stop new orders completely. And the delayed deliveries were (mostly?) the NEO version ... implies the 2013 thru 2015 or so deliveries were not impacted.
All going from the top of my hard head .. no facts stated here
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by steve64
I was of the impression that they had reduced the delivery rate of new aircraft but didn't stop new orders completely. And the delayed deliveries were (mostly?) the NEO version ... implies the 2013 thru 2015 or so deliveries were not impacted.
All going from the top of my hard head .. no facts stated here
From my link

Virgin America has 30 current generation Airbus narrowbodies on order, but it has been able to ditch 20 of them. In addition, it has deferred the thirty Airbus neo aircraft from a 2016 start to 2020. In short, it is now on the hook for only 10 new airplanes in the next 8 years.
So that's a plane and a quarter a year...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Curious... is there a demand for this route? I liked Austin, but think ANC was a bit of a stretch. Granted, only UA operates this flight that is also seasonal. I'm not an expert and would love to see what people have to say.

Never considered going to ANC for business or pleasure via plane. Maybe on a cruise...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by fishy21
Never considered going to ANC for business or pleasure via plane. Maybe on a cruise...
Actually, this is for cruise traffic. It just only for the summer seasonal, but not becomes go for year-round long.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:04 am

There may be some cruise line traffic related to ANC, so this could be a win for VX.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AS has ran this in the past... Not sure how it'll work for VX. And who'll they contract with?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
From my link

So that's a plane and a quarter a year...
Well, that's assuming an even spread across the 8 years.
It would be feasible to say that Airbus was less willing to re-negotiate some/all of the planned 2013 deliveries as the aircraft were too far down the assembly line.

Anyhow, your linked article supports my thought that they didn't "stop adding to the fleet" as you originally stated. There are still new planes coming in, only at a reduced rate. We don't know the year-to-year specifics of how that rate drops over the next 8 years. So to answer your question, I'm placing my bets (hopes) that the aircraft for the new routes are coming from better utilization and fleet expansion ... not from cutbacks or dropped destinations.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum Medallion, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by steve64
Well, that's assuming an even spread across the 8 years.
It would be feasible to say that Airbus was less willing to re-negotiate some/all of the planned 2013 deliveries as the aircraft were too far down the assembly line.

Anyhow, your linked article supports my thought that they didn't "stop adding to the fleet" as you originally stated. There are still new planes coming in, only at a reduced rate. We don't know the year-to-year specifics of how that rate drops over the next 8 years. So to answer your question, I'm placing my bets (hopes) that the aircraft for the new routes are coming from better utilization and fleet expansion ... not from cutbacks or dropped destinations.
No new aircraft will be delivered before 2015. 10 aircraft will arrive 2015-2016. The 30 Neos won't start delivery until 2020-2022.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...335935136.html
http://www.cargonewsasia.com/secured...?article=29852
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Seat2C
No new aircraft will be delivered before 2015. 10 aircraft will arrive 2015-2016. The 30 Neos won't start delivery until 2020-2022.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...335935136.html
http://www.cargonewsasia.com/secured...?article=29852
One more in March, and then yup it says nothing until 2015. So there must be a bit of drawdown somewhere.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum Medallion, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gooseman13
One more in March, and then yup it says nothing until 2015. So there must be a bit of drawdown somewhere.
Missed that in the article; I thought that they were going to get 1 in 2013 for a year end total of 53. I skimmed the articles too quickly; my bad.
The one additional aircraft is enough to fly both Austin and Anchorage.
SFO-AUS 1015-1535
AUS-SFO 1700-1900
SFO-ANC 2000-2355
ANC-SFO 0050-0625
(All local times)

The other additions - EWR and LAX-LAS will require drawdowns on other flights; likely PSP.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by fishy21
Curious... is there a demand for this route? I liked Austin, but think ANC was a bit of a stretch. Granted, only UA operates this flight that is also seasonal. I'm not an expert and would love to see what people have to say.

UA has flown SFO-ANC in the summer for years (and even year round a long time ago). AS has flown SFO-ANC in the past before reducing SFO.

There is demand, particularly in summer. BTS data proves this. If there wasn't, nobody would be flying the route. And contrary to some popular belief, ANC does have some significant traffic year round outside of cruise ship tourists...this is a fairly wealthy city that doesn't shrivel up into nothingness between September and May.

Last but not least, using jetBlue as an example, ANC is the top (or close to the top) cargo station for B6. Why, you may wonder? Boxes and boxes upon boxes of fresh Alaska seafood.

If B6 can make LGB-ANC a success, VX shouldn't have much of a problem flying people (and fish) to and from the Bay Area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.