Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Cancun

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
Angry Flights to Cancun

I've been watching fares from LAX to CUN r/t in July for a few weeks now. I'm feeling pretty dumb for not booking when they were $415 r/t, as they are now $1,008 r/t... but, that is what I get for trusting Bing's fare prediction engine that was 87% certain that the fare would drop. Anyway, on to the point of my post...

So, the flight from LAX to CUN (VX 290) is currently $425 for main cabin, but somehow the two leg SFO-LAX-CUN ticket (VX922 or VX1930 connecting to VX 290) is only $371. What kind of craziness is this? If I book the SFO-LAX-CUN flight, and then don't show for the SFO-LAX leg, my ticket will get canceled and I will not be able to board the LAX-CUN leg.

Does anyone know of any routing magic that would allow me to use the lower SFO-LAX-CUN fare? Alternatively, does anyone have VX vouchers or credits good for July 2012 they are looking to get rid of?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by shaunco
So, the flight from LAX to CUN (VX 290) is currently $425 for main cabin, but somehow the two leg SFO-LAX-CUN ticket (VX922 or VX1930 connecting to VX 290) is only $371.
Airlines can price discriminate between markets.

If I book the SFO-LAX-CUN flight, and then don't show for the SFO-LAX leg, my ticket will get canceled and I will not be able to board the LAX-CUN leg.
Correct.

Does anyone know of any routing magic that would allow me to use the lower SFO-LAX-CUN fare? Alternatively, does anyone have VX vouchers or credits good for July 2012 they are looking to get rid of?
What are fares for airlines other than VX looking like?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Funny... I'm preparing to get tixs for CUN as well and am planning to avoid the SFO-LAX-CUN flight. The day I want to leave is not a day they fly non-stop. The LAX layover gets me to CUN 2 hours later than UA's non-stop from SFO.

Good luck with the monitoring of the flights. I've been doing mine for a little while and the fares have come a little down despite Springbreakers are in the mix of things during my travel plans...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
Thanks guys...

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
What are fares for airlines other than VX looking like?
UA has the only other direct LAX-CUN flight, and they are within $50 of VX... although I'd much rather pay the extra $50 to get the nice VX plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.