Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting F experience LAX-SEA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Interesting F experience LAX-SEA

I got to fly VX on Sunday for the first time. Just sharing my experience here.

It was N527VA Tubular Belle, with 7 passengers in F. Crew was welcoming and friendly. Food was good (breakfast was served despite it was a mid-morning departure, I had expected a lunch). Wifi worked great. Luggage came off quickly.

Now, the annoying bit: none of the seats in F worked. No power, no entertainment (not that I was after any), in-seat reading light was out, and to top it all: seat would not recline, footrest would not go up.

Crew only noticed this the moment we were being pushed back from gate 38 @ LAX T3. Despite some trouble shooting by the pilot (so was told), the 2 hour flight that was supposed to be relaxing after having crossed the pacific on VA7 (BNE-LAX) was simply annoying.

Half way through our flight someone figured that the seats can be manually adjusted (lift armrest between seats and you shall find two switches, one for the backrest one for the foot rest). Now the backrest just falls back when you flick the switch, but the foot rest I had to lift it up and it wouldn't extend.

FA said we will be compensated somehow but we were not told how/when/where. At the baggage carousel I overheard other passengers intending to write to VX about this.

The next morning I go online to send my feedback and discover two things:
- A notification on VX website saying their feedback emails is not working.
- An email form VX with a $50 credit towards a future flight with them.

Now I know the whole contract thing: the airline got me from A to B, safely. My luggage arrived with me and I had something to eat/drink on the way. But a non-operating seat sort of spoiled the whole experience. Plus, let's be honest, I paid something like 390 dollars for this ticket, so a 50 dollar credit isn't gonna cut it. I don't live in the States and the chances of me flying VX over the next year are close to nil.

Few years ago for a non operating F seat on EK's SYD-DXB, for about 4 hours out of the 12 hour flight got me 50k miles and an actual apology letter.

Don't get me wrong, I liked VX. I'd choose them again. But are they in their right mind offering F passengers a $50 voucher for having non operational seats? In other words, is the whole seat thing only worth 13% in VX' eyes?

BTW they are the exact same seats used by RJ and ME, although a lot more legroom and recline.

Last edited by edy4eva; Nov 2, 2011 at 3:45 am
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
I had a similar experience a few months ago with non-operational equipment. When VX products and services operate well, they are far superior to domestic carriers. However, when things go bad, they tend to give minimal restitution for the problems. I also received a $50 credit. Is it as much as I wanted.. no. But with my overall positive experiences on VX, I won't stop flying them because of one or two unfavorable experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.