Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-board if no roller bag?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Pre-board if no roller bag?

Hi- Just experienced this for the first time:

Gate agent for SFO->FLL announced something like: "And now we'd like to pre-board any passengers traveling light, ie those with only one small bag that will fit under the seat. No rollerboard bags please", and virtually the entire plane boarded without regard to seating area.

Is this normal? Seems a good way to discourage business travelers, who have learned to travel light, but do obey the rules with a small roller bag and briefcase!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:38 am

That's very interesting.. was this lumped up with the F, MCS boarding announcement? I didn't hear it this morning when I boarded LAX-JFK, but I flew MCS, so I didn't hear the rest of the announcements.

Although I imagine SFO-FLL isn't a very business heavy flight - so I guess they were hoping that few would board.

I can't think of a good reason not to let people with only bags that fit underneath board early...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by StingWest
Is this normal? Seems a good way to discourage business travelers, who have learned to travel light, but do obey the rules with a small roller bag and briefcase!
Yes, they've been testing this procedure on most flights out of SFO for a few months now. There was another thread about this that I can't find at the moment.

I agree 100% with your analysis. It's a terrible system for business travelers, who already have sparse incentive (in terms of perks) to be loyal to VX with Elevate being such a crude program.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyby

I can't think of a good reason not to let people with only bags that fit underneath board early...
Because what happened is that most of the space in the overheads was inefficiently filled with small bags that in a normal loading pattern would be placed under the seat.

Great gimmick to get people to pay to check bags however....
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by StingWest
Because what happened is that most of the space in the overheads was inefficiently filled with small bags that in a normal loading pattern would be placed under the seat.

Great gimmick to get people to pay to check bags however....
In my experience, at the gate, when they announce that you can pre-board if you don't have a bag, they offer to check your bags for free if you want to take advantage.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviators99
In my experience, at the gate, when they announce that you can pre-board if you don't have a bag, they offer to check your bags for free if you want to take advantage.
Update: On my return flight (FLL->SFO), they offered the same thing, people with only a small bag could pre-board. They also offered to gate check any roller bags for free, which my wife and I and several others did.

After thinking about this, it would work much better if they embellished the announcement a bit - something telling people they can pre-board if they only have one small bag AND it will fit under the seat in front of them.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:40 am
LDR

Programs: UA 1k, AA lifetime Gold, Marriott lifetime plat
Was on LAX-BOS in December and they announced that anyone willing to gate check their bag for free could pre-board.

I found this rather annoying sitting in F and having to wait for the crowd to get their bags gate checked before I could board. I normally would not mind too much, but it was the red-eye and my ambien was starting to kick in...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Had my first experience on VX last weekend, LAS-SFO. First they boarded First and a "priority row" (was that exit row? Doesn't the A320 have two?). Then they announced that those with just a personal item that can go under the seat could now board (ahead of group A). Half the plane seemed to board. My wife boarded with her small backpack, that she put under the seat. I didn't because I wanted my stuffed backpack to go into the overhead. But it was frustrating to see several people board with equally huge backpacks or even two bags. My wife told me that many of those with just a "personal item" shoved it in the overhead, thus completely defeating the point of letting them board early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.