Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to move up front

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

How to move up front

We got tickets in 3A / 3B Main Cabin select 3 weeks in advance. Sitting on the plane another couple walked up and asked (in English) if this was 3A / 3B and proceeded to show us their tickets with the same numbers.

Minutes later a gate agent rudely told my wife and I that we to move back to Row 12 because the people could not speak English and thus not sit in the Emergency row. Remember the part about being asked "is this Row 3A / 3B?"

Basically they got the Main Cabin Select seats late, didn't want to sit in the mid-plane location and told the gate attendant they needed to move because they did not speak English.

Yes VA policy, just get Main Cabin, refuse to sit in the Emergency row and you'll get Row 3 seating.

Luckily my wife has a steel rod in her left leg and I have a torn ACL so if we did encounter an emergency the folks in Row 3 would have put the emergency procedures in jeopardy because they wanted to sit closer to the front. So make sure you are booting healthy looking folks.

Wonder if they told the Gate Agent in English they couldn't speak English? Other best part - gate agent scribbled in pen on our ticket and tried to tell us it said row 12 the whole time. Really?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by jakexo
We got tickets in 3A / 3B Main Cabin select 3 weeks in advance. Sitting on the plane another couple walked up and asked (in English) if this was 3A / 3B and proceeded to show us their tickets with the same numbers.

Minutes later a gate agent rudely told my wife and I that we to move back to Row 12 because the people could not speak English and thus not sit in the Emergency row. Remember the part about being asked "is this Row 3A / 3B?"

Basically they got the Main Cabin Select seats late, didn't want to sit in the mid-plane location and told the gate attendant they needed to move because they did not speak English.

Yes VA policy, just get Main Cabin, refuse to sit in the Emergency row and you'll get Row 3 seating.

Luckily my wife has a steel rod in her left leg and I have a torn ACL so if we did encounter an emergency the folks in Row 3 would have put the emergency procedures in jeopardy because they wanted to sit closer to the front. So make sure you are booting healthy looking folks.

Wonder if they told the Gate Agent in English they couldn't speak English? Other best part - gate agent scribbled in pen on our ticket and tried to tell us it said row 12 the whole time. Really?
Row 12 is not an exit row, so something is missing from this story.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Indeed
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
I also think something is missing from the story too. Also, the OP as of now only have 2 posts on FT and both post are really inconstant from what VX actually offers.

Last edited by SkaterJasp; Dec 10, 2009 at 11:42 pm
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL 1MM, AA Exec Plat
this story makes absolutely no sense...no gate agent is going to try to convince you it said seat 12 the whole time...you can always just refuse to get off your seat and i doubt they would forcefully remove you from a seat you paid for...that's grounds for suing and the airlines knows that basic stuff. Also, when the couple first got their exit row seat, they had to check a box that said they are able and willing to perform the duties of those sitting in the exit row...did they read that in english and mark the box? The airline would most likely have bumped them from the flight rather than play these shenanigans. the OP is prob just looking to stir up some trouble...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by DLFlyer16
i doubt they would forcefully remove you from a seat you paid for...that's grounds for suing and the airlines knows that basic stuff.
i agree, the story sounds a bit over the top, but.....

according the VX contract of carriage, you are guaranteed a seat if you purchase one, not a SPECIFIC seat. think about it - if you're in main cabin select and have picked a bulkhead seat, you can be displaced if a disabled passenger or one traveling with a service animal needs that seat. also, you could be displaced due to a federal air marshal needing to be placed on the flight. however, there is usually compensation involved.

neither one of these situations involves the story above, but still....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.