Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Most isolated communities of the lower 48 states?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Well, where would this be, by your definition of the term?

I've heard of several criteria for 'most isolated', for example, furthest from an interstate highway, furthest from an airport with scheduled air services, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Care to tell us why you want such isolation. I dont want to be an indited by the locals or the feds as a co-conspirator or worse.

MisterNice
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:23 am

You can always go with lovely Angle Inlet, MN up in the Northwest Angle. Just remember to bring your passport to drive through MB first.

My second choice was Fresno...
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by brendog
You can always go with lovely Angle Inlet, MN up in the Northwest Angle. Just remember to bring your passport to drive through MB first.
Same with Point Roberts, WA, where you have to drive a half hour through British Columbia before getting back into Washington State.

Otherwise, I think the Loneliest Road, US 50 through Nevada, is aptly named.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Quaker325
Same with Point Roberts, WA, where you have to drive a half hour through British Columbia before getting back into Washington State.

Very true. I have a good friend working for the BLM in Caliente, NV (2 hours south of US 50), who has to drive nearly 2 hours to get to a decent grocery store. Northern NV, particularly the northeastern region is almost completely devoid of people. The hiking is stellar, though...
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Stehekin, WA is pretty remote. From Wikipedia:

Stehekin is a small unincorporated community in Chelan County, Washington. It is part of the Wenatchee, Washington Metropolitan Statistical Area. Located at the northwest end of Lake Chelan, it lies just south of the North Cascades National Park at 48°18′34″N, 120°39′19″W. There is no road access to Stehekin, though several miles of road exist there. It is reachable by passenger ferry, the Lady of the Lake, or private boat from Chelan, or by floatplane. In addition to access by Lake Chelan, visitors come to Stehekin by horseback, hiking, and flying into Stehekin State Airport (Identifier 6S9). The airport is only open July, August, and September, and is noted by Washington State as being one of the state's most challenging airports. While only 1,230 ft msl, there are mountains on the sides and trees at each end of the 2,630 ft runway.

Another town with a similarly small population and similar access is Holden Village, surrounded by the Glacier Peak Wilderness and located 12 miles up the Railroad Creek Valley from Lucerne, a boat landing on Lake Chelan.

Stehekin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stehekin and http://stehekinvalley.com/
Holden Village: http://www.holdenvillage.org/

Last edited by BLI-Flyer; Jul 23, 2008 at 8:13 am Reason: added links to Stehekin and Holden Village
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:37 am

My company does a lot of work for a client in Dell City, TX (near Guadalupe National Park). It's about 90 miles to the nearest interstate or city of any consequence - just about the same distance to El Paso, Van Horn, or Carlsbad, NM.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:46 am
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by deubster
My company does a lot of work for a client in Dell City, TX (near Guadalupe National Park). It's about 90 miles to the nearest interstate or city of any consequence - just about the same distance to El Paso, Van Horn, or Carlsbad, NM.
deubster, is Salt Flat cafe still in business?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Having been to both Stehekin and Angle Inlet, I'd say Angle Inlet is more remote, even though you can drive there and not to Stehekin. Both nice places, though.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
My sales rep lives in BC right beside Pt. Roberts...

Originally Posted by Quaker325

...he said 1/2 the population is Canadians coming for cheap gas/milk and eggs.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by pbz
deubster, is Salt Flat cafe still in business?
Absolutely! Not bad food, either.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by that_guy
Well, where would this be, by your definition of the term?

I've heard of several criteria for 'most isolated', for example, furthest from an interstate highway, furthest from an airport with scheduled air services, etc.
Conossieurs of the isolated U.S. may want to check out a book by Dayton Duncan, "Miles from Nowhere." Duncan visited the 'contemporary American frontier'--132 counties in the Western U.S. with a population of fewer than 2 persons per square mile.

Duncan did his traveling in the early 1990s. At that time every county seat he visited had at least two businesses--a hairdresser and a video rental store.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Once had a Huskie, named for Chignik, AK...
for the lower48 ~ we know some folks who live off the end of the last road headed out of Copper Harbor, MI. They say it's pretty quiet..

Point Roberts, WA ~ wow... mailed some Coupon Cxxn stuff there last year !
/.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:35 pm

I'd say Supai, AZ, in the Grand Canyon. No road, just a seven mile mule trail. Even the mail comes in by mule.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by alanh
I'd say Supai, AZ, in the Grand Canyon. No road, just a seven mile mule trail. Even the mail comes in by mule.
That's pretty crazy.

I know you're asking for lower 48, but this reminded me of the town my mom grew up in, Mud Lake, Labrador. It's a tiny town of about 60 people with no roads or cars, and is accessible only by boat in the summer, snowmobile in winter, and during spring and fall, by helicopter. I believe they still run off a generator for electricity, but I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.