Need help – adding more pages to US Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help – adding more pages to US Passport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:06 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I did it in London at the Embassy in Sept - took about 2 hours wait time in the late morning - no charge.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MisterNice
I mailed my passport to get extra pages added on Mar 13 2008. I will try to remember to post when (and if) I get it back.

MisterNice
The passport was in my mailbox on Mar 19 so it took 6 days for the pages to be added and its return without using the $60 expedited service option.

MisterNice
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Is this a travel legend or wasn't there in the past some gigantic 96-page "megapassport" that was like a little hardcover book?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 5:23 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
I was running down to my last 3 squares and was about to enter South Africa. Of course, gotta have 1 blank page to satisfy South African immigrations folks and that darned visa sticker. So, I stopped into the US Consulate in Dubai. I asked if I could have 2 sets of additional pages added and they said "sure, no problem". I just had to fill out 2 applications. It was finished in less than 5 minutes. It's a little like entering Fort Knox there, but was fast, easy, and friendly.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 5:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I should've taken care of this during the last month, a slow travel period for me, and didn't. Not urgent w/ 16 squares blank, but it's an uneasy feeling. I think I'll see if I can get it taken care of at the SF Embassy soon.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Is this a travel legend or wasn't there in the past some gigantic 96-page "megapassport" that was like a little hardcover book?
I wouldn't be surprised if my last PP was about this size with three or four additions. I second the suggestion of just having it done in an embassy. I cannot comment on the appointment issue, as I never had an appt and was never turned away. Each embassy does have their quirks, though. Such as in Santiago, Chile, I had to have a drivers license to enter the embassy area. Average wait was about an hour. Cost is gratis.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Has anyone done this in SF? The SF Passport Agency page speaks only of those needing visas w/in 14 days of travel and appts are required. Would they let in someone who needs extra pages?!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Originally Posted by boxo
Has anyone done this in SF? The SF Passport Agency page speaks only of those needing visas w/in 14 days of travel and appts are required. Would they let in someone who needs extra pages?!
The Philadelphia PP agency certainly allows expedited processing for page additions, so I would expect the SF people to do the same. Remember... even if you're only adding pages, and want it same day, the fee is US$60.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: CO
Deleted
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:55 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I went to the US embassy in Beirut last August, and they turned me down for extra pages in my passport. Ugh, what a slog it was to get there...however, even though I was at three, I was informed that if I went back to a place where I had already received extra pages, then I would be able to find success. Indeed, in Hong Kong, they gladly added a fourth in fifteen minutes.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
The 24 added pages run A-X. All are usable for full-page visas except for the first page (A) which has the supplement info and a raised seal.
Okay, I think I may have a problem.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone here for their helpful insights on getting more pages added to my passport. I was able to go to the US consulate in Tijuana on Monday and they did it in a few hours.

However, the quotation from UAL Traveler worries me: They didn't give me one with a raised seal on page A.

The extra pages were added with a taped-wing after page 24. On my new page "A" it reads "This supplement, under seal, forms a part of the passport. Ce supplement, sous sceau, fait partie integrante du passeport." However, there is no raised seal.

The consulate in Tijuana did however place a visa-type sticker on page B which reads: "This passport was amended on 24-Mar-2008 to add visa pages to passport number xxxxxxxxx"

Should I be worried?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
[Should I be worried?[/QUOTE]

Don't Worry! Be Happy!

Had exactly the same situation on my most recent page addition about a year ago. No seal and the words "under seal" were crossed out. No problems in either entering the US or other countries.
A previous page addition about two years ago did have the seal, however. Seems like the requirement for the seal has been dropped.
Thanks for the tip in the thread to ask for two sets of extra pages at once. Never thought of this before. Saves a lot of time and trouble

Rens
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
The consulate in Tijuana did however place a visa-type sticker on page B which reads: "This passport was amended on 24-Mar-2008 to add visa pages to passport number xxxxxxxxx"

Should I be worried?
I believe you're fine with the sticker amendment. I have numerous amendments in one of my US passports that sometimes have a seal, and sometimes not. The last time I had a double insert was about three months ago, and they did carry the raised seal under the stamped phrase (not a sticker) that is essentially identical to the phrase on your sticker. US embassies and consulates have some flex in their procedures.

Happy travels
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
I believe you're fine with the sticker amendment. I have numerous amendments in one of my US passports that sometimes have a seal, and sometimes not. The last time I had a double insert was about three months ago, and they did carry the raised seal under the stamped phrase (not a sticker) that is essentially identical to the phrase on your sticker. US embassies and consulates have some flex in their procedures.

Happy travels
I got mine in Berlin and they did the same thing. They even crossed out "Under Seal" by hand with a green pen on the first page. They printed the visa sticker upside down and put it in the wrong way. Never had a problem (30+ entries) since.

On another note, is there a limit to the number of extensions?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
On another note, is there a limit to the number of extensions?
The limit on the number of page inserts, as told to me by a consular official, is determined by the amount of original visa pages in the passport. Each insert must be attached to two such pages. For example, a 48-page passport has 38 usable pages (pages 8-45, with even page 8 being a left hand page, and odd page 45 being a right-hand page), which allows a total of 19 inserts. So, with essentially 23 usable pages per insert, you can add 437 pages for a total of 475 pages. That's why I get a 48-page pp on renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.