Wiki Posts
Search

Transit through USA, Australia - Japan - USA - PTY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, LM
Transit through USA, Australia - Japan - USA - PTY

Hi all, entirely unsure where to post this.

In a couple of weeks am doing a trip from Australia to Panama. Route is SYD-HND, couple of hour stopover day 2, then HND to JFK on day 2, again some hours stopover, then JFK-MIA-PTY all on day 2. I am thinking a rapid Covid test done in SYD on the first day should get me through all the way. Am I missing anything?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I don’t know what Japan rules sre in this. It be easier if it was something like SYD-LAX-PTY.

im unsure what specific time frame for testing is fir each country and what required tests they are. Thrn you have to factor into this Zulu times to make it easier to measure expirations.
juddles likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by juddles
Hi all, entirely unsure where to post this.

In a couple of weeks am doing a trip from Australia to Panama. Route is SYD-HND, couple of hour stopover day 2, then HND to JFK on day 2, again some hours stopover, then JFK-MIA-PTY all on day 2. I am thinking a rapid Covid test done in SYD on the first day should get me through all the way. Am I missing anything?
Have you checked the current entry restrictions to Japan? Essentially, non-resident foreigners are not permitted to enter Japan. Are you on separate tickets? Is you first ticket ending in Japan? If so you will almost certainly be denied boarding. I don’t see this working out for you.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, LM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Have you checked the current entry restrictions to Japan? Essentially, non-resident foreigners are not permitted to enter Japan. Are you on separate tickets? Is you first ticket ending in Japan? If so you will almost certainly be denied boarding. I don’t see this working out for you.
Hi there LondonElite,
Looking back I see that my initial post is not very clear - just have spent so much time working on this itinerary that it made sense to me

To be very clear, I understand completely that foreigners cannot enter Japan, even such simple thing as a HND-NRT transfer. At least that is what I understand. I am flying into HND on ANA from SYD, then have a couple of hours layover within HND before my next flight HND-JFK. I refer to it as "Day 2" only because the SYD-HND flight is overnight, so for such things as Covid testing, it is effectively then "Day 2" in a calendar way. Does this make sense?

The SYD-HND-JFK is on a single ticket with ANA. The second part, after a few hours layover in JFK, is a separate ticket on AA, doing the JFK-MIA-PTY.

What I am believing (hoping) is that for ANA purposes I will have the test done in SYD on Day 1, which should qualify entrance to the USA on the subsequent ANA flight on Day 2.

The AA flights are all within Day 2.

And thank you so much for replying Has been so long since I have travelled much and things are now so different
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Similar issues have been extensively discussed in the Coronavirus and travel forum:
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by TWA884
In my experience, US CBP officer has not asked for any test or vax status during my entry into US this year, at SFO and DFW. The airlines may try to enforce that requirement though.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by a5un
In my experience, US CBP officer has not asked for any test or vax status during my entry into US this year, at SFO and DFW. The airlines may try to enforce that requirement though.
There is no “may” about it.

The airlines are enforcing the requirements - where there are requirements to enforce - because governments have told them to enforce them and they do so via things such as passenger locator forms and document uploads.

If you have uploaded vaccination status or test results into an airline system or showed them to a check in agent there is no need to show them to a border official because without doing that absent an error of some description you won’t be boarding the flight.
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.