Wiki Posts
Search

Intra state flying

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Intra state flying

Some states like Ohio have almost no intra state air travel flight. Loss of hubs at CVG and CLE did not help as had several routes. At one tons these routes had flights

CLE-CMH
CLE- DAY
CLE-TOL
CLE-MFD
CLE-CVG
CMH-CVG
DAY-CVG
CAK-CVG
TOL-CVG

Many states like Michigan and PA have better intra service thanks to hubs in the state.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:42 pm

Using DL in Atlanta, I have flown to CSG, VLD, SAV, and AGS. Still looking for a reason to go to ABY and BQK. Could have gone to MCN years ago but no longer service there.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Some states like Ohio have almost no intra state air travel flight. Loss of hubs at CVG and CLE did not help as had several routes. At one tons these routes had flights

CLE-CMH
CLE- DAY
CLE-TOL
CLE-MFD
CLE-CVG
CMH-CVG
DAY-CVG
CAK-CVG
TOL-CVG

Many states like Michigan and PA have better intra service thanks to hubs in the state.
A lot of those are a short distance.
With today security measures (=time) driving point to point is better for many. More so if the real destination to/from an airport is some distance away.
As a guess some of those were feeder flight to longer flights
(CVG airport is in Kentucky)

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I've done intra state flying a few times... But mostly in Hawaii
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The traditional examples of intrastate flying were TX and CA. In these cases, early LCCs used the "loophole" that such flights weren't subject to federal regulation, including back when CAB set fares.

There are still lots of intrastate flights in these states, although they're also home to some hubs.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
IIRC, When it launched, one of the reasons that jetBlue was looked upon so favorably by New York State and the PANYNJ was because it promised regular main line service between NYC and BUF, ROC, and SYR.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by AMflier
IIRC, When it launched, one of the reasons that jetBlue was looked upon so favorably by New York State and the PANYNJ was because it promised regular main line service between NYC and BUF, ROC, and SYR.
it wasn’t anything new.

I grew up there. You had regular flights to EWR, JFK, and LGA from different airlines CO/DL/US respectively before mergers. Jet blue marketed itself as a low cidtcarrier

the drive time that people don’t realize is it’s 8 hrs on interstate from buffalo and 6 from Syracuse when limit was 55. The flight was an hour.

intrastate generally exists if you have a hub city in the same state as your city.

back in the day before consolidation you sometime got short haul crop duster flights like a US flight from BUF to Albany then continuing on to to nyc or Boston. Albany is the capital of ny so there was travel interest.

you can sometimes see this on AS in Montana where a horizon flies from billings to Helena then to Seattle.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Intrastate flights are pretty common in CA and TX, plus FL and of course Alaska and Hawaii; indeed, TX and CA have had intrastate carriers in recent memory, and I suspect that AS and at least one of the Hawaiian carriers began life doing intrastate flights only (IIRC AS still had some affiliated regional carriers that serve the state only). I would assume that there are still flights between PHL and PIT, DCA and some places in Virginia, SEA and some places in WA state, DTW and some places in MI (including some subsidized flights to the Upper Peninsula on tiny planes), etc. At least preCOVID-19, there was service (including some DL mainline) from MSP to Duluth and Rochester MN. I'm tempted to add STL and Kansas City, but I'm unsure whether the airport is in KS or MO (my guess is KS).
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
We have lots in North Carolina. Off the top of my head:

CLT-AVL
CLT-EWN
CLT-FAY
CLT-GSO
CLT-ILM
CLT-RDU

Back before 9/11 US flew to a whole bunch more from CLT though a lot of the airports have lost service. They did HKY, INT, ISO and SOP as well as probably others.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Just SF Bay Area (SFO/OAK/SJC/STS) <-> LA Metro area (LAX/BUR/SNA/LGB/ONT) alone, during normal times, must make up a substantial minority of daily air traffic in the USA.

Routes long enough for a full beverage service!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:49 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer

CLE-CMH
CLE- DAY
CLE-TOL
CLE-MFD
CLE-CVG
CMH-CVG
DAY-CVG
CAK-CVG
TOL-CVG

When I was a child (I forget exactly what year...late 1960's/early 1970's) I flew on a United Vickers Viscount CLE-CAK-YNG. That made one of my uncles happy as he was a pilot for United and at one time he was captain on the Caravelle.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Apr 6, 2021 at 3:03 am
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:51 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Intrastate flights are pretty common in CA and TX, plus FL and of course Alaska and Hawaii; indeed, TX and CA have had intrastate carriers in recent memory, and I suspect that AS and at least one of the Hawaiian carriers began life doing intrastate flights only (IIRC AS still had some affiliated regional carriers that serve the state only). I would assume that there are still flights between PHL and PIT, DCA and some places in Virginia, SEA and some places in WA state, DTW and some places in MI (including some subsidized flights to the Upper Peninsula on tiny planes), etc. At least preCOVID-19, there was service (including some DL mainline) from MSP to Duluth and Rochester MN. I'm tempted to add STL and Kansas City, but I'm unsure whether the airport is in KS or MO (my guess is KS).
MCI is in MO. I've done STL-MCI a couple of times on WN.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:55 am

I've done a couple of intra state routes in the Keystone:

WN PHL-PIT back around 2008 when they operated that route.
US or US Airways Express to be exact IPT-PHL around 2013.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I was pretty sure most states actually have some intra-state air service, so I checked. And indeed, 29 of the 50 states allegedly have some kind of intra-state scheduled commercial air service. Even if you exclude seasonal Gem Air service in Idaho and Penobscot Island Air in Maine, that's still a majority. (Puerto Rico and the Northern Marianas also have intra-territory services.) The common themes are, indeed, a major hub in the state, discontinuous territory (i.e. islands), or subsidized Essential Air Service. Biggest surprise in compiling this list: Rhode Island.

AL: None now.
AK: Lots! (Most communities not connected by roads)
AZ: Yes (YUM/FLG-PHX)
AR: None now.
CA: Lots!
CO: Lots (DEN-CSP/DRO/EGE/ALS/ASE/GJT/GUC/PUB...etc)
CT: No
DE: No (and only occasional interstate service!)
FL: Lots! (PNS-MIA is a 12+ hour drive on a good day)
GA: Yes (ATL-ABY/AGS/CSG/VAL...)
HI: Lots! (for obvious reasons)
ID: Summers only (BOI-MYL/SMN/2U7)
IL: Yes (ORD-BMI/CMI/DEC/MLN/PIA/SPI)
IN: No.
IA: No.
KS: None now
KY: None now
LA: None now
ME: Barely (Penobscot Island Air)
MD: No.
MA: Yes (BOS-ACK/HYA/MVY/PVC)
MI: Lots (mostly but not entirely DTW-points north/west)
MN: Yes (MSP-BJI/BRD/DLH/HIB/INL/RST/TVF)
MS: None now.
MO: Yes (STL-IRK/TBN. Interestingly, none to MCI!)
MT: Yes (BIL-GDV/GGY/HVR/OLF/SDY)
NE: None now.
NV: Yes (LAS-RNO)
NH: No.
NJ: No.
NM: Yes (ABQ-CNM/SVC)
NY: Yes (NYC-points north/west)
NC: Yes (CLT-EWN/FAY/GSO/ILM/OAJ/PGV/RDU)
ND: Yes (DVL-JMS)
OH: None now.
OK: None now.
OR: Yes (PDX-EUG/MFR/PDT/RDM)
PA: Yes (PHL-ABE/IPT/MDT/PIT/SCE, PIT-AOO/BFD/DUJ/LNS)
RI: YES! (WST-BLK)
SC: None now.
SD: None now.
TN: Yes (BNA-MEM)
TX: Lots!
UT: Yes (SLC-CDC/CNY/SGU)
VT: None now.
VA: Yes (IAD-CHO/ORF/RIC/ROA/SHD, DCA-ORF)
WA: Lots! (SEA-everywhere in the state, GEG-PAE, and all over the San Juan Islands. Special shout-out to BLI-1RL)
WV: Yes (PKB-BKW)
WI: None now.
WY: Yes (RIW-SHR)

And while we're at it:
PR: SJU/NRR/SIG-CPX/VQS
MP: SPN-ROP/TIQ
samplat and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terrier
AZ: Yes (YUM/FLG-PHX)
Boutique has scheduled service to PHX from both PRC and SOW.
Contour flies PGA-PHX
And of course YR operates daily scheduled flights from GCN to GCN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.