Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cutting short H2B visa and returning on vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Cutting short H2B visa and returning on vacation

I have a friend who's working in the US on an H2B and is thinking of ending the job early and returning home (Italy in this case). But he had also planned a weeks vacation in March in the US when some other friends were flying over to meet him.

So he's aware that when you terminate your employment the H2B is no longer valid and he must leave the US. He had planned to finish in February and then fly back to Italy, get an Esta and then fly over for a week in March.

Would this plan cause any trouble? Would US immigration get suspicious that he's coming back so soon?

I had originally thought he could work until March, take the vacation and then leave the US (avoiding the need to fly back to Italy, not to mention the cost) but it seems from what I've read that if you're the person who quits then you must leave when your job ends, there's only a grace period if it's your employer that makes you redundant.

It's important to say that he doesn't want this to affect his future chances of visiting or working in the US.

So I guess the two questions are:
  • If he quits, heads home immediately and then applies for an ESTA for the vacation is there any chance of a problem?
  • Are you really supposed to leave the country immediately if you choose to leave your job early or is there any sort of grace period?
Thanks for any help you can give
Jonstephens likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I think there is a way to convert From a work or student visa to a tourist stay without leaving the country. A factor in this is what country you are from.

What roes the I-94 say you need to leave?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.