Wiki Posts
Search

Health Insurance for travelers in USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Health Insurance for travelers in USA

Hi!

Any recommendations for health insurance for travelers visiting the USA? Last time I had searched online, and bought temporary health insurance for visitors through a website, but when the time came to use it the Urgent care did not want to deal with that insurance and asked me to pay upfront and then claim it from the insurance. This was not a requirement of the Insurance, just the care facility decided that they did not want to deal with that Insurance.

Needless to say, I was not happy with the situation. So do you have any recommendations? The visitors are in the 70s.

TIA
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by sarpotd
Hi!

Any recommendations for health insurance for travelers visiting the USA? Last time I had searched online, and bought temporary health insurance for visitors through a website, but when the time came to use it the Urgent care did not want to deal with that insurance and asked me to pay upfront and then claim it from the insurance. This was not a requirement of the Insurance, just the care facility decided that they did not want to deal with that Insurance.

Needless to say, I was not happy with the situation. So do you have any recommendations? The visitors are in the 70s.

TIA
That is pretty much what any medical facility will tell you. Short term travel insurance isn't the same and having a USA health insurance policy. Also if you do not reside in the USA there is no way to get payment if the travel insurance refuses the claim. Pretty much you will need to pay up front and then claim back from the travel insurance.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No different than what US travelers face overseas. Even in emergencies, fairly routine to have full payment demanded upfront.

Typically, treatment facilities, e.g. hosptials, urgent care and the like will only process insurance for carriers which are "in network" and thus where they are certain of payment. Unlikely with most short-term policies.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that publicly funded hospitals are required to provide lifesaving emergency care regardless of insurance, financial, or citizenship/immigration status.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
With the emphasis on "lifesaving". EMTALA is not a substitute for insurance. It will get you initial lifesaving treatment if you have a heart attack, but not the follow up care.
smc333 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

To clarify the insurance I bought was underwritten by a US-based company (I forget which one now.) There are many policies like Patriot USA or some such name that are sold. And the policy was fairly expensive but my experience with it was mediocre. Similar travel policies can be bought overseas (by the guests themselves before they arrive in the USA) and which are considerably cheaper. I am leaning towards this option in the future. The more expensive US-based policy didn't buy us anything more.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by sarpotd
To clarify the insurance I bought was underwritten by a US-based company (I forget which one now.) There are many policies like Patriot USA or some such name that are sold. And the policy was fairly expensive but my experience with it was mediocre. Similar travel policies can be bought overseas (by the guests themselves before they arrive in the USA) and which are considerably cheaper. I am leaning towards this option in the future. The more expensive US-based policy didn't buy us anything more.
Correct. Travel insurance is travel insurance. You will still pay up-front and claim from the policy later.It's not really where the policy was issued but where the person lives. If a USA policy denies coverage/payment, the facility has little recourse for collecting the monies if the person is not resident in the USA.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:08 am

I also have seen travel insurances, which give you a card (like MasterCard), where you can call them, they will approve the needed amount of money, and you can pay like with a regular credit card. In Germany Allianz has such a product. I haven't used it myself, so i cannot vouch how easy or difficult it really is to get the approval if you're waiting at the doctor or hospital and they want you to pay.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Often1
No different than what US travelers face overseas. Even in emergencies, fairly routine to have full payment demanded upfront.

Typically, treatment facilities, e.g. hosptials, urgent care and the like will only process insurance for carriers which are "in network" and thus where they are certain of payment. Unlikely with most short-term policies.

Sorry, but on what basis do you say that? I've used travel medical insurance in six countries over the last ~25 years and have never been asked for payment up front *except* in the US. In every other instance the hospital called the insurer and confirmed the policy was in place and then provided service. The "in network" claim is also odd - very few countries have the same network-provider set up that the US has. What countries were you thinking of?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:34 am

Hello
Insuremytrip and World Nomads are the best travel insurance for travelers visiting the USA. They cover a very high level of medical expenses, especially compared to other providers, which is what makes them so great as travel insurance for travelers visiting the USA.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Apparently home insurance policies in some countries may include foreign medical expense coverage of sorts. While these home insurance companies covering medical expenses incurred during trips/visits to other countries mainly do reimbursement for charges incurred, they also do at times engage in paying for services directly to the medical and other service providers so that the covered person/party need not pay out of pocket first and then get reimbursed by the insurance company.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Fill Mortan
Hello
Insuremytrip and World Nomads are the best travel insurance for travelers visiting the USA. They cover a very high level of medical expenses, especially compared to other providers, which is what makes them so great as travel insurance for travelers visiting the USA.
Does anyone know if this is still true for non-US citizens traveling to USA? Looking only for medical. Have other coverage through credit card

Last edited by dcpdxtrans; Feb 18, 2023 at 8:51 am
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:29 am

I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with your previous temporary health insurance for visitors. It's important to choose a reputable insurer and understand the terms of your coverage before you purchase it. Here are some recommendations for health insurance for travelers visiting the USA:
  1. Seven Corners: Seven Corners offers a range of travel insurance plans that include medical coverage for visitors to the USA. Their Liaison Travel Plus plan, for example, offers up to $1 million in coverage for medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains. They have a 24/7 customer service hotline to assist with claims and offer direct billing with many healthcare providers.
  2. IMG Global: IMG Global offers a variety of travel medical insurance plans for visitors to the USA. Their Patriot America plan, for example, provides up to $1 million in coverage for medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains. They have a large network of healthcare providers and offer direct billing to many of them.
  3. GeoBlue: GeoBlue is a popular choice for travelers who require international health insurance coverage. They offer a range of travel medical plans that provide coverage for visitors to the USA. Their Voyager Choice plan, for example, offers up to $1 million in coverage for medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains. They also have a 24/7 customer service hotline and offer direct billing with many healthcare providers.
Before you purchase any insurance plan, it's important to read the policy carefully and understand the terms and conditions of the coverage. You should also check whether the insurance company has a network of healthcare providers in the area where you will be traveling and whether they offer direct billing with those providers. Finally, make sure to keep all of your insurance documents with you while you travel so that you can access them quickly in case of an emergency.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Unfortunately, when traveling in the U.S., the best plan is simply not to need medical care.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:20 pm

Just checking: did the reimbursement end up working out on that last trip? I mean, paying upfront sucks, but did you end up getting screwed financially, or was the clinic right that you'd get reimbursed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.