Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport photo defect: replace it or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport photo defect: replace it or not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Question Passport photo defect: replace it or not?

Howdy folks,

I recently got a new passport and upon opening it immediately noticed a few defects in the photo. One white speck stands out a lot (at the hairline on the left), and I am wondering whether I will have troubles using my passport abroad. Obviously, I am not that worried about the US or other first-world countries, but in some not so first-world countries, govt officials may give me grief about this small but quite visible defect. Has anybody experienced a similar issue? Should I ask the State Dept to replace the passport?

Defective photo

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

One additional detail. I scanned the passport with my phone (NFC) and saw that the digital photo on the chip looks fine: the skin color is normal and there are no specks. So, obviously it was a printing glitch.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why do you presume that first world countries can't be a pain?

Yes, you should ask that the passport be replaced. It doesn't matter how small the defect. You are at the mercy of the least merciful air carrier check-in agent or border control officer you run up against.
König and Xyzzy like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Why do you presume that first world countries can't be a pain?
Well, except for Germany where they examine every small detail, I haven't had problems anywhere else. Of course, my sample size is not that large, so the reality might be quite different.

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, you should ask that the passport be replaced. It doesn't matter how small the defect. You are at the mercy of the least merciful air carrier check-in agent or border control officer you run up against.
OK, thanks -- I was leaning toward this option myself. I guess I will have to call them first because I don't even know what form to use. The closest one, which is DS-5504, does not even list this type of scenario in it.

Last edited by König; Sep 23, 2019 at 6:29 pm
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to mention that I sent a "routine processing" DS-5504 on Sep 24 and received my new passport yesterday (Oct 7). This time, the photo doesn't have any abnormal specks, although it's quality is really really bad (skin tone, contrast, etc). But that's something I came to expect anyway.
willoL likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:33 am

I wouldn't bother too much about that as I used to spill a cup of coffee over my documents and was traveling without changing it. It doesn't look like it's damaged too much
Old May 21, 2023, 12:09 am

Hi all.
I find myself in a similar predicament.
Applied for a new passport. - Got it today after only 5 weeks, passport card is still pending.
Was sitting there quite happy about this until I noticed my picture (both the B&W on the biographical page, and the color image on the signature page) are printed with a 20 degree rotation.

I personally like the passport pictures with that little rotation.
But, I know better. Especially since I will be "flying while brown," and don't wish to be harassed by any immigration official that decides to go "fake passport?!?"

What do I do? the DS-5504 instructions mention I can request a passport for bad printing (section D-1 of the instructions), however, the flippant form doesn't have an area which you can request this.
Worse of all, the processing times for passports is getting longer. I fear I'm now going to miss my trip to Japan.
Calling the National Passport Information Center is like calling the phone line of death (5 hour wait).

Should I send it all into Philadelphia (with a cover letter) and just hope and pray they get it back to me in time?
Or, should I go bother my Senator and throw the toys out of the pram?
Old May 24, 2023, 5:46 pm

Always have a problematic passport replaced if there's time, especially with noticeable defects on the information page.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
My current passport photo was taken with awful margins to the point that it was barely acceptable. At the time I was an airline employee and the DoS did me a favor by pushing it through. If I can get away with this (have yet to have a problem and have been to two "far from first-world" countries with it), you should be alright.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.