Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport with old birth certificate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Question US Passport with old birth certificate

Hello everyone, I have one question and i'll be very grateful with anyone who can help me:

I want to obtain my first US Passport, I was born in Indiana and I have a birth certificate of the year of my birth (1998). I'm unable to travel to Indiana to get a newer one because I'm living in México and obviously I can't enter to the country (and I don't have family in Indiana). My question is, can I get my first passport with this old birth certificate? My actual certificate have the information below:
  • My full name
  • Mom/Dad names
  • Place of birth
  • Birthdate
  • Sign from de health officer
  • Seal
The birth certificate was expedited by the Elkhart County Health Department. Hope you can help me!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is not unusual to get your birth certificate when you are born.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your answer, the certificate was issued three months after my birth
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Are you a dual national? Have you lived in the US for much of your life? Sometimes the ability to confer citizenship to your biological children may be limited if you haven’t spent part of your childhood (2 years?) in the US, plus a few more years as an adult, if they’re born outside the US.

If the birth certificate is an official one (usually with an imprinted seal), it should be fine. I believe you will have to apply for the passport through a US Embassy/Consulate in the country you are currently living in.

Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
If the birth certificate which you have does not meet the current requirement of an official birth certificate, you can order one online, by mail or by phone:
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had no idea things had become so complicated:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/birth-cert...ations-2972802

My birth certificate certainly does not meet these requirements, but I'm slightly offended by the notion that it is less "official" than a replacement would be. Kind of like rewriting history.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Omar Salazar
Thanks for your answer, the certificate was issued three months after my birth
That shouldn't be an issue. Most are issued a few days at least after birth. It's not less official because it's old. In fact, the only "original" birth certificate is the one issued shortly after your birth. Others are certified copies or certified reissued ones. You shouldn't need that for a passport, whether you're 10, 21, or 50.

Here are the requirements from the State Department website:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-evidence.html

It appears what you have meets them all, including issuance within one year of birth.

The point of a birth certificate is to establish citizenship and verify birthdate, which in your case it establishes because you were born in the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.