Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Which form. Changing first name on passport.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott

I'm trying to change my first name on my passport from Tom to Thomas and I can't figure out which form to fill out. The directions online seem to always relate to last names.
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

US Passport issues are generally discussed in the USA forum.

Please follow this thread as it moves there.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:13 am

If you're referring to these instructions: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...e-correct.html
...they don't differ based on what part of your name you're trying to change. Instead, the differences are simply based on how long ago your current passport was issued and whether you have a court order or whatever for your name change.

Your available choices of forms are still the regular renewal or first-time application forms; you just fill out a section of the relevant form that you would normally leave blank, and attach one more document than you would otherwise.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

I received notice that they will not change my passport from Tom to Thomas unless I submit a marriage certificate or a court order as evidence of the name change. However, they said they will be keeping the $110.
Tom it stays.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
I received notice that they will not change my passport from Tom to Thomas unless I submit a marriage certificate or a court order as evidence of the name change. However, they said they will be keeping the $110.
Tom it stays.
Is your birth certificate as Thomas? You Social Security card as Thomas? Your drivers license listed as Thomas?

How did you get a passport as Tom if it didn't match your other government issued identifications?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Is your birth certificate as Thomas? You Social Security card as Thomas? Your drivers license listed as Thomas?

How did you get a passport as Tom if it didn't match your other government issued identifications?
I've had a passport as Tom since the beginning and before all the heightened security stuff after 9/11 and I've always preferred being called Tom so that was what I put on the original application when young and stupid. And yes, everything except the passport says Thomas. I had a little trouble checking in for a flight Tokyo to LAX and they suggested I get it changed so everything matched. I thought it would be a simple task, but apparently not so much.

I suppose I could let it expire and then apply for a new one rather than renew the Tom one.

Last edited by tmorse6570; Aug 6, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
I've had a passport as Tom since the beginning and before all the heightened security stuff after 9/11 and I've always preferred being called Tom so that was what I put on the original application when young and stupid. And yes, everything except the passport says Thomas. I had a little trouble checking in for a flight Tokyo to LAX and they suggested I get it changed so everything matched. I thought it would be a simple task, but apparently not so much.

I suppose I could let it expire and then apply for a new one rather than renew the Tom one.
I would think that since your passport doesn't match any of your other government issued ID's that would be reason enough. If you are near a passport office I would make an appointment to change this in person. I would not let the "kept monies" be kept without a fight. I suppose they could argue that you didn't use the correct form or application, since your were correcting an official name and not actually changing your name.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:32 am
Suspended

You can quickly and easily change the name providing you have a certified copy of your birth certificate, a photo ID, and your original passport. The Department of State accepts Name Changes in the Passport based on the court or personal preference. Fees will change depending on the reason you are updating your passport.
  • Form DS-11 or Form DS-5504 available here
  • Proof of identity and citizenship (Original passport, certified birth certificate, court order of name change, marriage license, etc.)
  • Fee (Ranges from $0-$145 depending on speed and age of passport)
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

I had a little trouble again, this time SLC to PVR on Delta. I don't actually do a lot of international, but it would still be nice not to run into obstacles that seem easily fixable.

This time it was the computer in SLC that gave the agent and me the problem. She had to call someone to override the computer not wanting me to board. No problem at all coming back though.

Then it hit me (takes me a while because I'm a R (the word no one is allowed to say even though it describes half the world). What if I just change my Delta name to Tom? Ticket matches passport. Bingo!

I scanned my passport to Delta and asked for the first and middle name to be changed so it matches completely and it was changed on my profile within an hour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.