Wiki Posts
Search

US address on ESTA form for EU citizen laying over at LGA en route to Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Often1
No.

It would not matter if OP is flying via JFK, ORD, MIA or as booked, via LGA.

There is no such thing as "transit" in the US. Inbound passengers are admitted to the US and then depart the US.

LGA is a red herring for this passenger. Whether flying YYZ-JFK/ORD/MIA or LGA he will be processed through Pre-Clearance (with some very rare exceptions) at YYZ and arrive at his US airport as a domestic passenger.

For those who have raised concerns about what a CBP Officer might ask, there is nothing to fear from that. Presuming other aspects of OP'' ststus are not causes for concern, if OP is asked why he flying his ticketed route, he should tell the truth. Presumably to save money. People get themselves into trouble by telling petty lies for no purpose. There is nothing wrong with what OP proposes so he ought not to fear answering the question.
I must be denser than usual today as I'm not following. If there's no such thing as "transit" in the US then how is it permissible to put "in transit" for your US destination?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I must be denser than usual today as I'm not following. If there's no such thing as "transit" in the US then how is it permissible to put "in transit" for your US destination?
"Transit" is not a legal status in the US. It may well be a reasonable description of OP's physical location which is all CBP wants.

There also is no transit area, zone or other physical location, either at JFK or LGA. At both airports, one would step off one's flight from YYZ the process is the same.

The suggestion that somehow someone is "odd" for not arriving at JFK rather than :LGA and the earlier suggestion that OP check his itinerary are simply from people who may not be familiar with the process of arriving in the US and then proceeding to a third country.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by djsneak
Exactly.
My flight will be europe-YYZ-LGA with pre-clearance at YYZ (no "border" at LGA).

With another booking, not related to the first one above, I want to do later on the same day LGA-YYZ.
You are setting yourself up for all sorts of things to go wrong. EU-YYZ-LGA new ticket LGA-YYZ? A lengthy immigration queue in Toronto, possibly a change of terminal, US pre-clearance, means you may be protected on a later flight to LGA, but getting back to Toronto may be compromised. Could turn out to be stressful and expensive.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Why not just miss the flight from YYZ-LGA? Unless there is a return still to be flown
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA MM
"Transit" is not a legal status in the US. It may well be a reasonable description of OP's physical location which is all CBP wants.

There also is no transit area, zone or other physical location, either at JFK or LGA. At both airports, one would step off one's flight from YYZ the process is the same.

The suggestion that somehow someone is "odd" for not arriving at JFK rather than :LGA and the earlier suggestion that OP check his itinerary are simply from people who may not be familiar with the process of arriving in the US and then proceeding to a third country.
What you're describing essentially boils down to someone claiming their USA address is "I'm traveling" which translated means "I'm not answering the question". Granted, it might be all the CBP wants to know but that begs the question "Why are they even asking?".
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
" ... the earlier suggestion that OP check his itinerary are simply from people who may not be familiar with the process of arriving in the US and then proceeding to a third country.
Nonsense. The OP was oddly worded. The poster did not say that he would be landing at YYZ and changing planes there. Instead, he said that his intercontinental flight (singular) would be landing at LGA, and "passing by" YYZ and the pre-clearance facility there. That suggested (to me, at least) that he was under the mistaken impression that his trip to LGA was either going to overfly YYZ, and come into LGA for Immigration and Customs inspection, or that even if it made an intermediate stop in Canada, he would stay on the same plane without going through U.S. pre-clearance there.

Even if the OP is booked from Europe to LGA on a single AC flight number as a "direct flight," he will be changing planes in Canada, and going through U.S. pre-clearance there. That's the point I wanted to make sure that the OP understood.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Nonsense. The OP was oddly worded. The poster did not say that he would be landing at YYZ and changing planes there. Instead, he said that his intercontinental flight (singular) would be landing at LGA, and "passing by" YYZ and the pre-clearance facility there. That suggested (to me, at least) that he was under the mistaken impression that his trip to LGA was either going to overfly YYZ, and come into LGA for Immigration and Customs inspection, or that even if it made an intermediate stop in Canada, he would stay on the same plane without going through U.S. pre-clearance there.

Even if the OP is booked from Europe to LGA on a single AC flight number as a "direct flight," he will be changing planes in Canada, and going through U.S. pre-clearance there. That's the point I wanted to make sure that the OP understood.
I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting the OP is thinking or saying, but it seems pretty clear that he is flying Europe-YYZ-LGA, and will have not only to change planes in Toronto, but clear Canadian and US formalities there, at a minimum. Whether that leaves him enough time to make his onwards LGA flight (without question on a different aircraft, with a different flight number), is a different matter. I think the small savings will turn out to be a loss, but that's just my opinion.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting the OP is thinking or saying, but it seems pretty clear that he is flying Europe-YYZ-LGA, and will have not only to change planes in Toronto, but clear Canadian and US formalities there, at a minimum. Whether that leaves him enough time to make his onwards LGA flight (without question on a different aircraft, with a different flight number), is a different matter. I think the small savings will turn out to be a loss, but that's just my opinion.
Yes, it is certainly clear now (see Post #11 ).

I agree with you that the OP is running the risk of missing his LGA-YYZ flight. And if the OP's long-haul Europe-LGA ticket is actually a roundtrip, he will not only have the expense of getting back to NYC for his flights home, but also runs the risk of missing his flights back to Europe if he encounters IRROPS on a separate YYZ-LGA ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Yes, it is certainly clear now (see Post #11 ).

I agree with you that the OP is running the risk of missing his LGA-YYZ flight. And if the OP's long-haul Europe-LGA ticket is actually a roundtrip, he will not only have the expense of getting back to NYC for his flights home, but also runs the risk of missing his flights back to Europe if he encounters IRROPS on a separate YYZ-LGA ticket.
Agreed. At best it's false economy. At worst, it's a very expensive lesson in getting home.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Question: Might US-CBP become curios about "in transit" since they will see he's on a flight to LGA (as opposed to, for example, JFK, ORD, MIA)? How do fly through LGA if you're "in transit"?
Less curious than putting LGA airport's street address as a US destination for an immigration declaration because he or she is not going there to stay like a destination.
Years ago I asked USCBP what to put in the area because I was transiting at MIA and the agent said put "in transit" because MIA was not my destination.
Let the agent ask to where if they ask at all.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by djsneak
Exactly.
My flight will be europe-YYZ-LGA with pre-clearance at YYZ (no "border" at LGA).

With another booking, not related to the first one above, I want to do later on the same day LGA-YYZ.
It works fine, but the airline might insist on being given an address with a zip code. CBP at YYZ isn't entirely unfamiliar with people doing unusual trip routings to save money. "It was cheaper this way."
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: KLM Gold Elite (You can guess how long ago I lost this status!), LH Senator
In Transit

I have done this many times albeit travelling up to Canada in a rental car after flying in to the US. I often ski in British Columbia in February and because of the many places I visit it is far cheaper to fly into Seattle, rent a car and drive up to BC via the Sumas border crossing. (Although I do wish the YVR flights were cheaper!)

Flights usually get into SEA mid-afternoon with a few hours drive up to Chilliwack where I stay for the first night.

As a result I have always put 'in transit' both on the old paper forms and on the electronic versions. Never had a problem. I have been questioned about it on a very few occasions but a quick explanation has always sufficed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.